Chatelain: Huskers stuck in the 90's

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

Only three were gifts. The TD felt earned.

I wish the Huskers were stuck in the 90s. We keep hiring west coast offense guys that lose 7 games per year. How nice would it be to have a 90s coach that builds a team around a power running game and a defense committed to stopping the run and pressuring the QB?

Stuck in the '90s.

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

The pick 6 was a gift also. Tommy should have put more air under that ball, that's his fault and kudos to the defense for heads up play.

The point I took away is the fact that NU has a dusty trophy case since the 90's yet, us husker fans alike scream and shout how great our program is...when teams like Iowa are achieving what we think we are.

Iowa's weak ass schedule....pfft. Weak cuz of why? Playing in the same division as Nebraska?

They are 12-0, and if the roles were reversed, everyone on here would be SCREAMING about how it's so tough in this day and age to go unbeaten blah blah blah....

No we wouldn't. 2001 is case in point. We're a smart enough fan base to know when we're not the real deal and don't belong. Iowa is going to get rolled, either in Indy or if they make it to the playoffs. We just as easily could have gone undefeated this year with a weak ass schedule, oddly we were close to doing it...

How exactly is 5-7 "close to undefeated"?

This shouldn't need explaining. 4 games tied or leading with 11 seconds left in the game. Gifted a game to Iowa. 6 games a combined 28 points. The only gane we weren't in was Turdue.

See, I take the close losses as the trend, and the Michigan State win as the aberration. There were more close losses than close wins. For anyone to say that NU was close to being undefeated needs their head examined.

I think they mean we were close to being undefeated had we had different coaches, a different QB, different O linemen, and a defense that played to win the entire year. If not for that we'd be in the playoffs for sure.

Does no one understand that it's not an evaluation of the quality of the team that was fielded, or the coaches, but the weakness of schedule? Seriously maybe T is right, I took us for a little more intelligent than what I'm seeing right now.

unfortunately, there is a very vocal minority of fans out there that can't seem to grasp the fact this isn't 1995 anymore, and Nebraska isn't the same now as it used to be. And since these fan's identity is so wrapped up in what a college football program does. It causes their egos to be crushed. For the rest of us that just enjoy being fans, and enjoy looking at what these kids have overcome. We can enjoy the season, even with all the heartache.

• Fire 1

The pick 6 was a gift also. Tommy should have put more air under that ball, that's his fault and kudos to the defense for heads up play.
Or was it Alex Lewis with a poor cut block? Watch the play again. Tommy had another guy in his face and threw it over him, but never saw the D end who made a great play.

Eh, who gives a sh**. At least this thread gave me an excuse to watch the run again....thing of beauty. Eric "The Hammer" Crouch, epic run: