Historically Average HC Goes 5-7

cm husker

4 INTs will lose you most games and, I'm sorry, I have to blame the loss mainly on TA since he throw those INTs. Seriously, those were some of the worst passing attempts I've seen in quite awhile.

But what really got my blood boiling, when I starting unleashing profanities at the TV, was that INSANE 4th and 1 call by Langs, yeah, the fade route to Reilly. WOW, never seen such a bad call in my 50+ yrs. Maybe the worst playcall I;ve ever seen. what can you do when a coach calls a play like that?

Had he thrown it to his wide open TE it would have been haild as a brilliant call. But Tommie is Tommie and he's going to throw it deep. Every. Frickin. Time.

post-13450-0-33492800-1448731168_thumb.png

I saw several promising things this year, and never expected an instant turn around. The previous staff left this program a disaster. The 9-win seasons were an anomaly, just as TMart and Armstrong's ascension up the all time offense/passing charts are. Think about what Bo brought us. A heralded miracle catch victory over a crappy Northwestern? A greatest comeback in history against an Ohio State team which was at it's worst? (previous teams never had that opportunity, because they never found themselves being blown out early, so easily). Numerous blow-out losses in all the games that mattered. Another dramatic comeback against a crummy 2014 Iowa.

These coaches got the previous regimes players to compete through 4 quarters, in EVERY game they played in. This, in spite of the learning curve in the transition itself, and all while enduring unprecedented injuries.

This defense has WAY more potential in the Big 10 than what the 'defensive genius' brought us after 7 seasons. We've shut down the run (I think the loss of Nate Gerry really hurt on those two Canzeri runs, which blemished an otherwise outstanding performance), and the cornerbacks have improved considerably over the course of the season.

In spite of what people think, at least in the west division, we have great playmakers. We just need to get the ball to them. This offense will allow for that, IF we find the right guy to plug-in at quarterback. Incredibly, the previous regime allowed us to get to a point where we had NO capable quarterbacks. Forget read-option, Tommy is no good at that either. This staff doesn't have to throw out the baby with the bath water, but no question, Tommy needs to go.

No embarrassing side-line, post-game tirades. That in itself was the most satisfying take away I got from this season, especially after seeing that last NDSU melt down.

Anomalies don't happen seven times in a row. Most members on this board would have won more than 5 games this year as head coach.

4 INTs will lose you most games and, I'm sorry, I have to blame the loss mainly on TA since he throw those INTs. Seriously, those were some of the worst passing attempts I've seen in quite awhile.

But what really got my blood boiling, when I starting unleashing profanities at the TV, was that INSANE 4th and 1 call by Langs, yeah, the fade route to Reilly. WOW, never seen such a bad call in my 50+ yrs. Maybe the worst playcall I;ve ever seen. what can you do when a coach calls a play like that?

Had he thrown it to his wide open TE it would have been haild as a brilliant call. But Tommie is Tommie and he's going to throw it deep. Every. Frickin. Time.

attachicon.gifCU26QxsU8AAn2gf.png

And the coaches should know this and not make this call, or replace TA

• Fire 1

Insane, I didnt see Carter wide open. Why they're passing on that down is also a head scratcher, it was actually less than a yd to pick up. When I saw that hurl to the fade, I almost lost it wow...

And the coaches should know this and not make this call, or replace TA

Correct.

No it wouldn't have been. it would have been a lucky call. In that situation you kick the field goal 100 out of 100 times. We had the time to drive down again (which we actually did do).

This season directly lies on the head of Riley. He had the opportunity to assemble a top-notch staff and failed miserably. He has nobody to blame but himself for the predicament we're in. Sadly, due to his loyalty, he'll likely have the same staff next year. I figure we'll finish 7-5 and it will be said that "noted improvement" was shown and then Riley will be retained for another year. It's going to be a long, painful ride, folks.

• Fire 3

This season directly lies on the head of Riley. He had the opportunity to assemble a top-notch staff and failed miserably. He has nobody to blame but himself for the predicament we're in. Sadly, due to his loyalty, he'll likely have the same staff next year. I figure we'll finish 7-5 and it will be said that "noted improvement" was shown and then Riley will be retained for another year. It's going to be a long, painful ride, folks.

Words of wisdom

The coaching has been poor at times this year. The QB play has been poor. The secondary play has been poor. The D has been hurt. All contribute.

In this game TA threw 2 ints that where really bad. Stared down a reciever and didn't see a large person in front of the play, hitting him right in the numbers. The screen was the second he had picked off. The Northwestern pick six likely cost that game. The pass against Illinois, just a dumb play by coaches calling it assuming an experienced QB would do the right thing.

The coaches pooched the Purdue game start to finish.

Armstrong will be gone after next year. The headcoach will still be here. Hope he gets better. The D got much better at the end. Had they played that way at the beginning they win a couple more.

Armstrong will start next year, but if anyone shows potential, completes 60% of their passes, and only throws 1 INT a game, can throw the short routes, throw the ball away, make a 3 rd down with a scramble, and have basic footwork, they take the job. That's a low bar.

A Hackenberg style QB that got good by his Jr or Sr year. Not a fancy player but a manager.

You seriously want a QB like Hackenburg? He's terrible and has been a complete bust at Penn State.

Are you serious?
Hackenburg is a terrible disappointment. His stats thru 11 games are 2129 yards passing, 53% completion %, 14 TDs and 3 INTs. He also doesn't give any threat running the ball. Other than a lot fewer turnovers, he's about the same as Armstrong. Penn State fans aren't enamored with him at QB, and hope he turns pro.