Historically Average HC Goes 5-7

cm husker

Instead of blame, I can look at yesterday's game and see what went right and what went wrong.

Right:

Defense kept Iowa from converting a third down. Held them to 21 points.

Westy, Riley, Moore and Carter made some great catches and laid out for several of them.

The running backs ran hard even if it was just three tough yards.

The kickoff coverage made some good plays.

Punt coverage made some good plays.

Drew Brown drilled his field goal attempts.

It was a tight game against an undefeated team at home.

Wrong:

Turnovers, in particular, 4 interceptions that gave the ball back to Iowa.

Penalties on the defense that contributed to the first touchdown and kept another drive alive (unfortunate targeting call).

Chop blocks that moved the ball deep behind the chains.

2 big run plays for scores.

The things that went wrong did hurt. But nothing hurt worse than the poor play at QB and that is why the Huskers did not win.

It was pretty cold and I am still recovering however I thought Iowa Scored 28 points?

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they are saying the offense gave up 7 of the points and the defense gave up 21.

Gonna be a long offseason.

That's the understatement of the year right there.

And I'm disappointed that our staff, after 12 games, still can't work around the strengths and weaknesses that this team has. This team has enough playmakers to have won the B1G West...and instead, we're bound for a toilet bowl with a sub .500 record in Detroit (most likely).

It's been pretty obvious to all of us that Tommy can become an INT machine and lock onto receivers. Why did the coaches not work on this during the season? And if they did work with Tommy and knew it was still happening...why did they continue to call plays that played into Tommy's weakness instead of his strengths?

As for our running game...it's kind of a chicken and egg conundrum. Yes, it didn't get on track for most of the season...but for most of the season, Langsdorf mismanaged the RB stable and did a piss-poor job of calling running plays (e.g. stretch/finesse plays with Imani, power with Newby), and one could argue that there was very little improvement in the RBs as the season went on. And we know from experience that a strong running game is paramount to winning consistently and at the level we expect this program to win at.

Yes, Riley is a historically average coach, and he's pretty much par for the course this year too. That doesn't mean he can't change, and make changes to help him reach the next level though. Hopefully his staff is one thing that will change so we aren't looking at 5-7 again next year.

• Fire 1

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

Who says Nebraskans don't enjoy the taste of their own?

Funny how you basically disappeared when we were winning...
You mean during a bye week?

Well, for Rillllllllley, a bye week is basically the same as a win, so.............

giphy.gif