Historically Average HC Goes 5-7

cm husker

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

Who says Nebraskans don't enjoy the taste of their own?

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

If you have ever perused other husker boards you will find cm does this type of thing on every board. Is he still complainging about Bo? I would be shocked if he isn't

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

I put more blame on the play calling. Tommy is a horrible passing QB because of his terrible decision making, so what do they do? They have him throw 40 times a game.

TA would not start for any other Top 10 program.

Top 10? Not sure. Maybe not, but maybe OSU. But he'd start at Oregon right now. He'd start at some other good programs too. He should have been all conference this year.

I put more blame on the play calling. Tommy is a horrible passing QB because of his terrible decision making, so what do they do? They have him throw 40 times a game.

Top 10? Not sure. Maybe not, but maybe OSU. But he'd start at Oregon right now. He'd start at some other good programs too. He should have been all conference this year.

I take it you haven't watched Vernon Adams this year. The only team that would consider Tommy that's around the top 10 is Florida, and that's only because Will Grier is suspended

Your obsession with everything linked to Bo clouds your judgement!

I saw several promising things this year, and never expected an instant turn around. The previous staff left this program a disaster. The 9-win seasons were an anomaly, just as TMart and Armstrong's ascension up the all time offense/passing charts are. Think about what Bo brought us. A heralded miracle catch victory over a crappy Northwestern? A greatest comeback in history against an Ohio State team which was at it's worst? (previous teams never had that opportunity, because they never found themselves being blown out early, so easily). Numerous blow-out losses in all the games that mattered. Another dramatic comeback against a crummy 2014 Iowa.

These coaches got the previous regimes players to compete through 4 quarters, in EVERY game they played in. This, in spite of the learning curve in the transition itself, and all while enduring unprecedented injuries.

This defense has WAY more potential in the Big 10 than what the 'defensive genius' brought us after 7 seasons. We've shut down the run (I think the loss of Nate Gerry really hurt on those two Canzeri runs, which blemished an otherwise outstanding performance), and the cornerbacks have improved considerably over the course of the season.

In spite of what people think, at least in the west division, we have great playmakers. We just need to get the ball to them. This offense will allow for that, IF we find the right guy to plug-in at quarterback. Incredibly, the previous regime allowed us to get to a point where we had NO capable quarterbacks. Forget read-option, Tommy is no good at that either. This staff doesn't have to throw out the baby with the bath water, but no question, Tommy needs to go.

No embarrassing side-line, post-game tirades. That in itself was the most satisfying take away I got from this season, especially after seeing that last NDSU melt down.

He wouldn't have started at Oregon he would have been benched for his poor decision making same at NU if we had any kind of back up. that cupboard is bare. Our #2 is a D2 qb at best. Coaches don't do Tommy any favors with some of their play calling but this loss was all on Tommy. They can't make his decisions for him. No one held a gun to his head and told him to throw to the double/triple covered receivers.

The real news is that we need to strap in for next year because both coach and qb return and the dream that POB will be ready is a long shot at best.

LOL Get real guys. Tommy likely would not star

Get real people! Tommy Armstrong would not start at any other Big Ten school, let alone any top ten. Tommy played as well as he could play. He has had better games but overall he is playing his best. He has a Husker heart and I am confident this loss hurt very much as did a bunch of the others. About half his INTs are his fault and the result of poor choices as to when and where to throw the ball. The other half are the result of either mistakes by receivers, poor pass protection, desperation attempts to make something out of nothing, bad luck, excellent defensive plays, etc. After this length of time and plenty of playing time to get adjusted, improve, experienced, etc, it seems pretty clear to me that Tommy Armstrong is just not good enough at the QB position to take us to the next level. We were competitive this year, generally speaking, in ALL of our games and certainly had chances to win nearly all of them. Tommy made some dam good plays and many good throws, etc. But in between the good ones were sprinkled a bunch of not so good and just plain bad ones. The bad ones more than off set the good. He, as a result, is not a Big Ten QB. Early on, I felt Tommy had a chance to be an all conference type QB but the mistakes kept piliing up. As defenses began to scout and prepare for our offense (the early games we had a big advantage as our schemes and approaches were not on film, etc.), the offense remained productive but seriously ERROR prone. We proved we can run up the passing yards (like many passing teams do) but passing yards do not equal rushing yards. It takes about double the yardage in passing to produce the points a team needs to win most games today. You need to score 35 or more. You will not do that very often without 200 or more rusing yards and 300 or more passing. You can score 35 a game with 300 yards rushing and 100 passing easily. Not the other way around.

Patrick Obrien has got to be the ANSWER people! He is our one great hope for the future. Get him the receivers, linemen, etc. We have a great RB committed. Fill in the blanks in the other positions with good players and we will still have the kind of recruitiing class we need. Don't give up hope. But be realistic.

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

FYI, I posted after MSU. Not so much during the bye week.

They were still bashing the players after the wins. At least that's how I see comments like "the players finally bought in" or "I wish the players bought in sooner". Some fans will do anything to protect Riley from any kind of criticism.

• Fire 1

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

They were still bashing the players after the wins. At least that's how I see comments like "the players finally bought in" or "I wish the players bought in sooner". Some fans will do anything to protect Riley from any kind of criticism.

You think saying this is bashing players?

Cool.

Great thread.

It is bashing the players. It's deflecting criticism away from Riley and putting it on the players.

• Fire 1

Cool.

Great thread.

It is bashing the players. It's deflecting criticism away from Riley and putting it on the players.

I can agree with deflecting, but it is NOT player bashing... well, it isn't unless you have an agenda to push. To me all that means is there were players that were not happy with Bo... AH hah, that is the reason some call it bashing.. The Bo thing again.

Your obsession with everything linked to Bo clouds your judgement!

I don't think many Big 10 teams would have traded their starting quarterback for Armstrong. I don't think Ohio State would have traded their third string quarterback for Armstrong.

As a fan of this season's hapless UNK Lopers, I wouldn't have traded Bronson Marsh for Tommie Armstrong.

Cool.

Great thread.

I can agree with deflecting, but it is NOT player bashing... well, it isn't unless you have an agenda to push. To me all that means is there were players that were not happy with Bo... AH hah, that is the reason some call it bashing.. The Bo thing again.
Its literally blaming the players by saying they aren't doing what they're being taught.

It's the EXACT same thing as "they just didn't execute" that Bo said for 7 years. And we all know how much the fans loved hearing that...

• Fire 1
All Armstrong has to do to avoid it is not throw 4 ints

All Langsdorf had to do was not put a quarterback on the field who would throw four interceptions.

The papers tell me that Riley and Langsdorf or quarterback geniuses. I heard all last year about the superior player development coming with the new staff. Plus, some said Riley had a special elixir that he sells of the back of his wagon that removes warts, cures rheumatism and grows hair. None of this has shown up as advertised.

Talk is cheap, sometimes a guy has to go with the W-L record.

But I demand Nebraska gives Riley six more years, just so a fair comparison can be made with any previous coaches and we don't have that argument swirling around.