Until NU gets this fixed, we aren't going anywhere fast

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Why would you want to do the smart thing and run on 3rd or 4th and 1 when you can hurl a 30-40 yd fade route down the field instead?

I just watched Alabama convert a 4th and 2 with a roll out play action pass to the flats. Play calling wasn't the issue vs. Iowa. Tommy had Cethan Carter (TE) wide open on the play. Tommy's lack of vision and ability to check down prevented us from converting on that 4th down. He just made a terrible decision and everyone knows it.

Wait, so you're saying playcalling wasn't a problem (we called a dropback with a fade and TE leak) and used an example of a rollout with a pass to the flat. What?

If you look at that play, Cethan Carter is open in the flat. The difference here is the Alabama QB saw his open man, ours did not. Because the play failed, most people blame the coaches right away. If Tommy dumps the ball off to Carter it goes for a big gain maybe even 6 points. Both plays were 4th and short, were they not?

When you know your QB struggles reading progressions, put him in position to succeed. Give him rollouts with run pass options.You said the Bama play was a PA rollout. That's a designed play to give the QB fewer options. I would have been much happier with that type of call than a fade/leak combo.

I agree with you on the type of play, I believe as a coach you have to put your QB in the best situations for him. A roll out with a run/pass option would have likely given us better odds vs a deep fade pass into the end zone. I'm on the same page as you, Tommy does have problems going through his progressions and it almost seems every pass play is some kind of hot route. Put a Zac Taylor or a Joe Ganz back there and they make that completion to Carter instead, wouldn't you agree?

So, my argument is the play call was there, the execution wasn't. If we had a QB who could go through his options down field quickly, that ball should be thrown to Carter to get the first down in the very least and possibly more. If anything, I suppose this all hearkens back to Tommy's poor decision making. I'm conflicted because at the time, I felt like it was a bad play call by Langsdorf but Damon Benning was quick to point out that the play call was there and showed an animated GIF of a wide open Cethan Carter. I blame both the staff and Tommy for not recognizing the situation -- that it would have been more important getting that 4th down conversion versus going for the homerun. Our OC was "spooked" and that particular play call sort of showed, unfortunately.

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

Yes

No

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Why would you want to do the smart thing and run on 3rd or 4th and 1 when you can hurl a 30-40 yd fade route down the field instead?

I just watched Alabama convert a 4th and 2 with a roll out play action pass to the flats. Play calling wasn't the issue vs. Iowa. Tommy had Cethan Carter (TE) wide open on the play. Tommy's lack of vision and ability to check down prevented us from converting on that 4th down. He just made a terrible decision and everyone knows it.

Wait, so you're saying playcalling wasn't a problem (we called a dropback with a fade and TE leak) and used an example of a rollout with a pass to the flat. What?

If you look at that play, Cethan Carter is open in the flat. The difference here is the Alabama QB saw his open man, ours did not. Because the play failed, most people blame the coaches right away. If Tommy dumps the ball off to Carter it goes for a big gain maybe even 6 points. Both plays were 4th and short, were they not?

When you know your QB struggles reading progressions, put him in position to succeed. Give him rollouts with run pass options.You said the Bama play was a PA rollout. That's a designed play to give the QB fewer options. I would have been much happier with that type of call than a fade/leak combo.

I agree with you on the type of play, I believe as a coach you have to put your QB in the best situations for him. A roll out with a run/pass option would have likely given us better odds vs a deep fade pass into the end zone. I'm on the same page as you, Tommy does have problems going through his progressions and it almost seems every pass play is some kind of hot route. Put a Zac Taylor or a Joe Ganz back there and they make that completion to Carter instead, wouldn't you agree?

So, my argument is the play call was there, the execution wasn't. If we had a QB who could go through his options down field quickly, that ball should be thrown to Carter to get the first down in the very least and possibly more. If anything, I suppose this all hearkens back to Tommy's poor decision making. I'm conflicted because at the time, I felt like it was a bad play call by Langsdorf but Damon Benning was quick to point out that the play call was there and showed an animated GIF of a wide open Cethan Carter. I blame both the staff and Tommy for not recognizing the situation -- that it would have been more important getting that 4th down conversion versus going for the homerun. Our OC was "spooked" and that particular play call sort of showed, unfortunately.

Yeah, sure, the playcall was there if you had a QB who was likely to complete it. But, since we all know who Tommy is, it was a bad call. You call a game to your QB's strengths.

Put your players in the best position for them to succeed. Did that happen?

Yes

BS.

A good offensive coordinator knows how to put an offense in position to succeed. I wonder if ANY play we needed a yard or two if Cross or Jano would have been a more viable option than ANY pass play?

Not with the offensive line we had.

That's because the coaches prefer pass protection. Jerald Foster is our best run blocking O-lineman, and he didn't sniff the field.

No, they prefer well rounded players that can do it all,not just run block. Foster will see the field next fall though.

Yes

BS.

A good offensive coordinator knows how to put an offense in position to succeed. I wonder if ANY play we needed a yard or two if Cross or Jano would have been a more viable option than ANY pass play?

That's because the coaches prefer pass protection. Jerald Foster is our best run blocking O-lineman, and he didn't sniff the field.

No, they prefer well rounded players that can do it all,not just run block. Foster will see the field next fall though.

They prefer guys who are better at pass blocking over run blocking. They also don't rotate because that's their philosophy from their NFL days, not because of any supposed lack of talent.

Yes

BS.

Yeah, sure, the playcall was there if you had a QB who was likely to complete it. But, since we all know who Tommy is, it was a bad call. You call a game to your QB's strengths.

That was my whole point from the start. I think you have to point the finger at both the staff and Tommy for the result. The play was there for the taking but Tommy failed to execute. There's no excuse for not completing a pass to a wide open receiver. That's on Tommy.

Yes

BS.

That was my whole point from the start. I think you have to point the finger at both the staff and Tommy for the result. The play was there for the taking but Tommy failed to execute. There's no excuse for not completing a pass to a wide open receiver. That's on Tommy.

Sorry, but that's the Bo Pelini excuse.

"We just didn't execute."

You craft the gameplan and call plays to your guys strengths. It didn't happen.

Yes

BS.

They prefer guys who are better at pass blocking over run blocking. They also don't rotate because that's their philosophy from their NFL days, not because of any supposed lack of talent.

Uncle Milt didn't rotate either.

Yes

BS.

Uncle Milt didn't rotate either.

He subbed

• Fire 2

Yes

BS.

Sorry, but that's the Bo Pelini excuse.

"We just didn't execute."

You craft the gameplan and call plays to your guys strengths. It didn't happen.

Lol he had Cethan Carter wide open. Nobody was covering him and Tommy had plenty of time in the pocket to complete it to him if he had simply checked down. I still think you have to blame both the staff and the quarterback. Maybe he was coached to go for the end zone? That's just an assumption made by anyone who disagrees with the play call itself. For the most part, the game had some sketchy play calling by Langsdorf but too many mistakes made by Tommy throughout the year were made by Tommy which said mistakes occurred against Iowa as well.

Also, we're not talking about Bo Pelini, FYI :P

Edited by FTW