Until NU gets this fixed, we aren't going anywhere fast

Great article IMO about a not so hidden issue that has plagued NU for years and continues to. It has cost us games time and time again to include a conference shot here and there.

The culprit is easy to identify, but has been ass allusive as Sasquatch when it comes to fixing it. Turn overs, give aways and our continually negative TO margin.........

QUOTE- This is Nebraska’s seventh consecutive season with a negative turnover margin. Since 2003, the Huskers have had more takeaways than giveaways just once — 2009. Once in 12 years!

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-dismal-record-in-turnover-margin-perhaps-huskers-biggest-minus/article_326c5970-7f97-5b96-9aa7-6a53f27e0c9e.html

I have no idea how to fix it, but if we do it might be what actually turns this program around.

• Fire 1

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

It's not all on the QB. Even Ameer and Rex had troubles with fumbling in their career. And some of them have been on the recievers too. I remember Marlowe muffing punts and Kenny tipping balls that were picked.

It's a thing that the entire team has had trouble with, and it's mostly a mental problem.

It's not all on the QB. Even Ameer and Rex had troubles with fumbling in their career. And some of them have been on the recievers too. I remember Marlowe muffing punts and Kenny tipping balls that were picked.

It's a thing that the entire team has had trouble with, and it's mostly a mental problem.

Tommy Armstrong is among the national leaders in interceptions. Unfortunately, he plays on the offensive side of the football in a Mike Riley offense.

Of course it's not all on the quarterback, but it's the position that touches the football virtually every offensive snap.

And this foolish Callahan V.2 offense is going to be turnover prone.....it puts the ball in the air too much.

• Fire 1

The last several years it has been mostly a Qb problem. Ameer was a sophomore the last time he had fumblitis

The last several years it has been mostly a Qb problem. Ameer was a sophomore the last time he had fumblitis
I'll agree that this year it was mostly a QB problem. But even in 2013 and last year Ameer had some troubles with fumbling. Penn State in 2013 comes to mind when he fumbled going in to the endzone or 2014 against MSU he fumbles in the redzone.

My point is that it's a team thing that needs to be fixed.

• Fire 1

Tommy Armstrong is among the national leaders in interceptions. Unfortunately, he plays on the offensive side of the football in a Mike Riley offense.

Of course it's not all on the quarterback, but it's the position that touches the football virtually every offensive snap.

And this foolish Callahan V.2 offense is going to be turnover prone.....it puts the ball in the air too much.

Get serious, an offense like Oregon and Baylor are turnover prone, Riley's offense is not in that category. With a competent Qb, it would be one of the least prone to turnovers.

• Fire 3

I'll agree that this year it was mostly a QB problem. But even in 2013 and last year Ameer had some troubles with fumbling. Penn State in 2013 comes to mind when he fumbled going in to the endzone or 2014 against MSU he fumbles in the redzone.

My point is that it's a team thing that needs to be fixed.

Takeaways on defense is a bigger problem over the longhaul, I see that as a team problem. The Qb can be replaced but it has to be an identity on defense.

• Fire 1

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

I think Riley had the right idea with Armstrong at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Fixed that for you.

I think you both are right. It's kind of the point of the article; Nebraska was able to do good things, but turnovers negated a lot of those.

Osborne's offense put the ball on the ground a lot also. That's something most people forget.

Osborne's offense put the ball on the ground a lot also. That's something most people forget.
Any offense can be turnover prone. It's a part of football not specific to one team or one type of offense.