6 Years Ago Today

I'm glad it happened the way it happened. We'd still have Bo had NU won that game.

The team is playing to win games and championships. We may still have Bo, but I would rather have that conference championship experience and who knows what would have happened with the program after that.

Exactly. We were 10 years removed from a conference crown at the time, the drought was almost over. Had we sealed that win who knows what could have been? We may still be in the Big 12 for all we know.

• Fire 1

Cal Husk is correct. The rules did not allow for putting one second back and the rules were specific about it (dont know what rules changes may have occurred since).

Well as precedent I remember the 1994 Orange Bowl where the clock ran out but Nebraska was granted another second to kick what could have been the game-winning field goal against FSU and an apoplectic Bobby Bowden.

As for the actual rules at the time in 2009, this is how I remember it being explained. The writer is from Oklahoma, so he should have hated both teams equally. If his source is incorrect, I hadn't heard the official rule interpretation.

As for "constantly arguing" with California Husker, I honestly don't recognize your screen name or any past disagreement we've had.

Texas-Nebraska: Officials got it right
tramel001.jpg by Berry Tramel Published: December 8, 2009 Updated: Mar 27, 2013
0shares

There is a belief among some that Texas beat Nebraska in the Big 12 championship game for reasons best explained by Mark Mangino.

BCS. That’s right. BCS.

Mangino, remember, when nuts at the officiating in the 2004 KU-Texas game, when the Longhorns were trying to get to a BCS bowl and Mangino’s biggest problem was reminding Jayhawk fans that yes indeed, football remained a varsity sport in Lawrence.

Advertisement: Replay Ad
spcr.gif
r620-3127c68aef9c41cbcb914c8ca7d06c31.jp
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy (12) prepares to pass as Nebraska safety Courtney Osborne (12) chases a receiver in the first half of an NCAA college football Big 12 Conference championship game, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez) ORG XMIT: CBS105

Mangino cried foul, and now so do Nebraska fans at the extra second put back on the clock Saturday night, which allowed Hunter Lawrence to kick a 46-yard field goal that beat the Huskers 13-12.

The rationale of Husker fans and Texas haters is that the replay review rules don’t specifically allow officials to check the clock in game-ending situations. That’s true. But that’s not the rule that allowed the second to be placed back on the scoreboard.

A college football official who knows the game and knows the rules and follows officiating very closely, but who was not involved in Nebraska-Texas, told me that everything was above board. And you can find the support in the NCAA football rulebook. Rule 12, Section 3, Article 6.

It’s a relatively new rule, added just a year or two ago. Egregious timing errors can be corrected by officials, even without replay help or even with replay help in which there is no other reason to go to replay.

Here’s the explanation I received. The clock is operated by a timekeeper in the pressbox, who is trained to react to officials’ signal to stop the clock. But that is not a fool-proof system. Think about it. The clock operator scans the field at the end of plays, looking for the signal, but maybe his eyes aren’t immediately on the official who first signals the timeout.

Officials are trained to signal clock stoppage then immediately look at the clock to see 1) what time shows; and 2) that the clock is stopped. If the clock doesn’t stop at the right time, the official thus knows how much time there is supposed to be. And this entire scenario plays out INDEPENDENT OF REPLAY. In other words, replay has made timing issues much easier on officials, but they’ve got a system down to get things right even without video help.

My officiating source asks to remain anonymous because he’s not supposed to talk to the media but think it’s important to get more information out to the public. He said he would have expected the Big 12 crew to put a second back on the clock even without replay; given the chance to watch the video, the officials absolutely saw that Colt McCoy’s hit something out of bounds with one second left on the clock.

So this entire controversy comes down to one thing. How do you define egregious? Did the Texas-Nebraska play rise to the level of egregious?

Who could possibly argue that it did not? If there was a second left in the game when McCoy’s pass landed, how could anyone say Texas didn’t deserve that second?

And yes, a second in that situation is more valuable than a second in the middle of the second quarter, because teams in the middle of the second quarter do not react to the status of the game clock. The difference between 7:38 and 7:39 in the second quarter is nothing. It has no effect on a game. The difference between 0:00 and 0:01 is everything. Heck, the difference between 0:29 and 0:30 is huge, because strategy is completely determined by the clock in the final minute of a game or half.

Texas deserved that extra second. The officials knew it and acted accordingly. That’s all a football fan on either side could ask for.

• Fire 1

In REAL TIME...we won the game.

In replay time we lost the game.

The plays leading up to :01 (penalties, kick out of bounds) were our fault. SUCKS

we played better than them to win the game in REAL TIME.

However, we lost. SUCKS

can Mike Reilly even get us to the game????? We shall see.

• Fire 1

Not egregious therefore not reviewable.

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

Etc

Yeah exactly, THAT'S the point. How anyone can say that a second (if it was even a full second) running off as an official is raising his hands to signal the stoppage of the clock is "egregious" is beyond me. That is someone who either doesn't watch ANY football, or just wants to side with Texas (and the crooked officials) on this matter.

Watch any game. I don't give a crap if it's the middle of the game, or if it's at the end of a quarter or the half or the end of the game...the officials run in and wave their arms to stop the clock and the clock ticks another tick. It happens EVERY STINKING TIME. It cannot...CANNOT....be considered an "egregious timing error" if it is the NORM. An "egregious timing error" would be if the clock never started to run or if a ref signaled for stoppage of the clock and 10 or 15 seconds ran off. But ONE FREAKING SECOND??? Are you freaking kidding me? That decision came straight from TexASS.

• Fire 1

Not egregious therefore not reviewable.

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

Etc

Yeah exactly, THAT'S the point. How anyone can say that a second (if it was even a full second) running off as an official is raising his hands to signal the stoppage of the clock is "egregious" is beyond me. That is someone who either doesn't watch ANY football, or just wants to side with Texas (and the crooked officials) on this matter.

Watch any game. I don't give a crap if it's the middle of the game, or if it's at the end of a quarter or the half or the end of the game...the officials run in and wave their arms to stop the clock and the clock ticks another tick. It happens EVERY STINKING TIME. It cannot...CANNOT....be considered an "egregious timing error" if it is the NORM. An "egregious timing error" would be if the clock never started to run or if a ref signaled for stoppage of the clock and 10 or 15 seconds ran off. But ONE FREAKING SECOND??? Are you freaking kidding me? That decision came straight from TexASS.

Controversial calls will live forever with the fans. I don't really mind the debate. But these days controversial calls are also reviewed endlessly by the media, professional football analysts and conference officials, who are obliged to clarify the rules for future officiating crews. When the officials are wrong -- and sometimes they are -- the blame is assigned and the crews can be reprimanded. Outside of Nebraska fans convinced of a Texas conspiracy, I never heard anyone in the know explain the Texas game as a clear violation of the rules. Tons of fans outside the Big 12 were rooting for Nebraska to beat Texas. The general feeling was that the Husker's luck ran out, not that we got screwed.

If you want to suggest that last second plays that decide the game get video reviews that other clock stoppages don't, sure. Nebraska was almost the beneficiary of one of those in the 1993 National Championship game.

None of this means Texas doesn't suck.