McKewon: Carry on

zoogs

...none, Riley said, hit the team harder than the collapse at Illinois. The third-and-7 play in which Nebraska, almost assured of victory if it had just burned more game clock with a running play, had some kind of disastrous mix-up that resulted in a bootleg pass from Armstrong.

Riley and offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf changed the name of the play after that game so there wouldn’t be any confusion, and even used it for a touchdown against Michigan State. The new name: quarterback sweep.

Remember how much discussion we had on that play after the Illinois game? Odd that no one mentioned the same play--run correctly--after the Michigan State game. I guess there's nothing to discuss when things are executed correctly, huh?

This is a classic case of a "call plays that work" mentality. When the play works as designed no one says a thing, but let it get screwed up and by gawd the coaches need firing! :)

It was kind of a funny story that they went and revisited the verbiage, changing the name to make things clearer. They started out thinking tagging it as a run play, on top of knowing the situation, would be enough.

I'm sure they'll be working out something with revisiting 4th down situations. And with using language that might get misheard, such as "Don't take a safety".

I bet Coach Riley could do a hell of a lot better job writing an article than McKewon could do coaching a football team.

Could you imagine the article that Riley would write about this year?

"Hey there fella's, first, thanks for either buying this newspaper or clicking on that link, I really do appreciate it and I am just so so excited that you are reading this article...so we finished up the season and we did a mighty fine job in the areas that are most important according to Mr. Eichorts, first of all, we were super nice, I can't say enough about that, so I won't say anything at all. Secondly, we did an excellent job telling you fans how we were going to tailor (not Martinez, I know that is a bad word around here) to our offensive players strengths and boy, did you guys ever believe us...thirdly, did any of you guys wonder why certain players kind of disappeared, ha, yeah, yeah, I bet you did..."

• Fire 3

This is a great article and like FTW said, it touches on several topics we've discussed here. This article shows that the coaches are doing something, they are making changes and trying to get better.

I guess I don't understand the line of thinking that a coach would ever look at his team and coaching in the off season and say, "Well, that's good Enough". Whether a team is 12-0 or 0-12 or somewhere in between the coaches will always do self evaluation and look at things they can do better. Are there people out there that think coaches don't try to improve themselves and the way they do things in the off season?

Not sure what article you guys read, but that actually eroded even more of my confidence in Riley. This says it all:

It doesn’t mean Riley, when reviewing the 2015 season, is satisfied. When asked if he thought Nebraska would finish 5-7, Riley said, “Probably not.”

"Probably not"?!?! How about, "Hell f'ing no!" Jesus, this guy went into the 2015 season thinking 5-7 was a real possibility. Nebraska is going to go anywhere until Charmin pulls his head out of his ass, starts benching malcontents, and shifts to a power-run offense that relies on the run to setup the pass, not the other way around.

Is anyone really surprised that Riley isn't planning on any staff changes. These are his best buddies. He is gonna ride it out with them, for better or worse.

Why would he make changes? We aren't going to fire him after one year so why should he fire any assistants after one year?

This is a great article and like FTW said, it touches on several topics we've discussed here. This article shows that the coaches are doing something, they are making changes and trying to get better.

I guess I don't understand the line of thinking that a coach would ever look at his team and coaching in the off season and say, "Well, that's good Enough". Whether a team is 12-0 or 0-12 or somewhere in between the coaches will always do self evaluation and look at things they can do better. there people out there that think coaches don't try to improve themselves and the way they do things in the off season?

Ask any number of people on this board that think Riley and his staff are doing nothing to help the team.

Not sure what article you guys read, but that actually eroded even more of my confidence in Riley. This says it all:

It doesn’t mean Riley, when reviewing the 2015 season, is satisfied. When asked if he thought Nebraska would finish 5-7, Riley said, “Probably not.”

"Probably not"?!?! How about, "Hell f'ing no!" Jesus, this guy went into the 2015 season thinking 5-7 was a real possibility. Nebraska is going to go anywhere until Charmin pulls his head out of his ass, starts benching malcontents, and shifts to a power-run offense that relies on the run to setup the pass, not the other way around.

Some of you guys are just searching for any molehill out there to make a mountain of it.

• Fire 4

How did you make that leap?

Is anyone really surprised that Riley isn't planning on any staff changes. These are his best buddies. He is gonna ride it out with them, for better or worse.

Why would he make changes? We aren't going to fire him after one year so why should he fire any assistants after one year?

The defense and secondary was a complete mess for most of the year, and a lot of people thought the coaching staff did a pretty poor job with the team overall.

This short paragraph from Sam:

"Riley’s approach is never going to be nearly as polarizing or political [as Pelini's]. Fans, media, boosters and regents can get as whipped into a frenzy as they like, but, if face to face with Riley for any amount of time, I doubt you’d come away faulting the program structure, recruiting organization or mindset within the program."

doesn't quite go the whole way for me.

We may indeed not wind up faulting the program structure, recruiting organization or mindset within the program, we but I suspect we will have a relatively good shot at faulting the quality of coordinators and assistants Riley has surrounded himself with.

After a full season, I think Mike is a coach that's completely capable of coaching a team that starts and finishes in the Top 25 each season, and a coach who can get a team into the Top 10 sometimes. A coach who can seriously compete for a Big 10 title.

His coordinators though...that's a completely different issue where the doubts seem to be swirling feverishly.