LJS: Several RBs Benefit from Reps/Break

Mavric

Mikale seemed to make things happen when he was in there, had a knack for finding the hole.

Where is this coming from? He hasn't played since garbage time in the 2nd game of the year. He had 6 carries against BYU and gained 13 yards.

Can someone make gifs of how great Wilbon is running the ball?

Well, in his brief appearance in the BYU game, it seemed clear to me that he was making some things happen when he had the ball: finding the hole, breaking tackles, good elusiveness. Of course, we'd have liked to have seen a larger sample size. Not sure what happened, assume he hadn't learned the blocking schemes good enough for the coaches' tastes. I've been pulling for Newby, but the guy can't break a tackle to save his life. Goes down way to easy.

Mikale seemed to make things happen when he was in there, had a knack for finding the hole.

Where is this coming from? He hasn't played since garbage time in the 2nd game of the year. He had 6 carries against BYU and gained 13 yards.

Well, in his brief appearance in the BYU game, it seemed clear to me that he was making some things happen when he had the ball: finding the hole, breaking tackles, good elusiveness. Of course, we'd have liked to have seen a larger sample size. Not sure what happened, assume he hadn't learned the blocking schemes good enough for the coaches' tastes. I've been pulling for Newby, but the guy can't break a tackle to save his life. Goes down way to easy.

Versus BYU, he had 6 carries for 14 yards. One of those carries went for 7 yards. So the rest means 5 carries for 7 yards.

Versus South Alabama he had 3 carries for 21 yards. One of those being 19 yards. So the rest was 2 for 2.

I don't want to take away from what you believe you saw, but the numbers don't really show a consistency for breaking tackles and good elusiveness.

Versus BYU, he had 6 carries for 14 yards. One of those carries went for 7 yards. So the rest means 5 carries for 7 yards.

Versus South Alabama he had 3 carries for 21 yards. One of those being 19 yards. So the rest was 2 for 2.

I don't want to take away from what you believe you saw, but the numbers don't really show a consistency for breaking tackles and good elusiveness.

I liked what I saw while he was in there, that's all I can say. I've been a Newby guy since he got there, but am about to give up on him: too soft, can't break a tackle. I'm anxious to see what Taylor can do, and maybe we'll see him in the bowl.

Is anyone else besides me concerned that we only have 1 RB commit for the '16 class?

Discussion in the recruiting forum has the opinion that the staff was only looking to bring in one for 2016

Not a fan of that idea, especially when it's just one 3* guy. Somebody's gotta step up at the position or we need to recruit a real stud there. We're weak @ RB--that is, we don't have a proven RB yet--and that should never happen @ Nebraska.

Is anyone else besides me concerned that we only have 1 RB commit for the '16 class?

Discussion in the recruiting forum has the opinion that the staff was only looking to bring in one for 2016

Tre Bryant is solid. Dont let the 3* concern you.

Ozigbo, Newby, Wilbon, Taylor, Bryant - more than plenty of backs next season.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere. Look at all the blue chip RBs Bama has put into the pros the last several years.

Not very good quality but illustrates the point fairly well. I'm not sure I've ever seen Newby make cuts/people miss like this. This is a big part of the speculation around Wilbon being the better back:

That's what I'm talkin' about!

I was going to post that video. You can see how he intentionally moved to the outside to get the defenders to go that way so he could cut back to the inside and make a big gain. I think there was another run he had, maybe in a different game, where he did a similar move. I think he has great instincts and I hope he gets whatever straightened out so he can see the field a lot more next year. Nothing against Newby but when I see Wilbon make plays like that...

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere.

Sigh. I don't care about their HS stats once they hit the college field. Ameer proved that he was a stud. So were Rex and Roy.

And Newby was the #75 player overall according to Rivals when he was coming out of HS.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere.

Sigh. I don't care about their HS stats once they hit the college field. Ameer proved that he was a stud. So were Rex and Roy.

And Newby was the #75 player overall according to Rivals when he was coming out of HS.

Newby is more or less a bust at this point, IMO. Maybe Taylor or Wilbon can be 'that guy', I dunno, we've been waitng 2 years to see Taylor. Ameer, Rex, and Roy were all good, but I wouldn't call them great. I miss having a great, domineering RB @ NU, we used to be RB U. I would love to be surprised some year and have the next 5* Leonard Fournette sign with us for a chancge. Or any 5* player. We haven't had a difference maker--ay any position--on this team for eons other than Suh.

This 3* stuff isn't going to cut it.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere. Look at all the blue chip RBs Bama has put into the pros the last several years.

I watch film - half the reason we are having the discussion here in the first place. Wilbon is a good back if he gets the ball. Ozigbo showed he was solid as well.

I hear what you're saying, but Bryant can play. Also have to remember that Jordan Stevenson was a sought after 4* who didn't get 1 carry here and left.

Ameer had an amazing career. Burkhead was the 9th overall RB when he came out of HS. Roy Helu left some records here. Lucky was the 13th rated player in the nation (2nd RB). I think there have been some very solid backs here in the past 15 years.

• Fire 1

Not very good quality but illustrates the point fairly well. I'm not sure I've ever seen Newby make cuts/people miss like this. This is a big part of the speculation around Wilbon being the better back:

That's what I'm talkin' about!

I was going to post that video. You can see how he intentionally moved to the outside to get the defenders to go that way so he could cut back to the inside and make a big gain. I think there was another run he had, maybe in a different game, where he did a similar move. I think he has great instincts and I hope he gets whatever straightened out so he can see the field a lot more next year. Nothing against Newby but when I see Wilbon make plays like that...

For real, Wilbon makes things happen. It was pretty obvious when he was in there.