LJS: Several RBs Benefit from Reps/Break

Mavric

Is anyone else besides me concerned that we only have 1 RB commit for the '16 class?

Discussion in the recruiting forum has the opinion that the staff was only looking to bring in one for 2016

Tre Bryant is solid. Dont let the 3* concern you.

Ozigbo, Newby, Wilbon, Taylor, Bryant - more than plenty of backs next season.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere. Look at all the blue chip RBs Bama has put into the pros the last several years.

I watch film - half the reason we are having the discussion here in the first place. Wilbon is a good back if he gets the ball. Ozigbo showed he was solid as well.

I hear what you're saying, but Bryant can play. Also have to remember that Jordan Stevenson was a sought after 4* who didn't get 1 carry here and left.

Ameer had an amazing career. Burkhead was the 9th overall RB when he came out of HS. Roy Helu left some records here. Lucky was the 13th rated player in the nation (2nd RB). I think there have been some very solid backs here in the past 15 years.

Yeah solid. I want the next Leonard Fournette, I want to dream....6'4", 230, track speed, moves, ah......that guy Cook from FSU this year, man, that guy was a big time stud too. We need one of those.

(Lucky was a bust, er, overrated)

So many people know more than coaches who have years of experience and see the players everyday in practice. It is exhausting listening to these experts on the sport who really don't know sh#t.

Just like the people complaining that Riley was having Armstrong snap the ball with 14 seconds left on the clock against Southern Miss and Riley didn't even know it until it was pointed out by a reporter in the post-game presser. It was literally like, "Golly, were we doing that? I'll have to go back and look at the game tape, but if that's the case, we need to take a look at that."

Or when the coaches deciding to throw the ball 45 times a game until the collective state was demanding that they run the ball and when they started listening we actually started winning.

Or when anyone who understands football and is an honest person can tell you that Newby has no business running the ball for Nebraska (or any Div. 1 team for that matter) and when they started feeding the ball to Cross, we started to put a little running game together.

Or when the coaches decided to start Daniel Davie at corner until he was getting consistently burned and then they had to put in someone else and Davie has basically never been seen again.

Or when the coaches dialed up an ambiguous QB run/pass play when all we needed was a simple, vanilla run play to beat Illinois.

Or when we needed to pickup a first down against Wisconsin and instead of a creative run play, the coaches dialed up the vanilla run play they should have called against Illinois

Or when it was forth and short against Iowa and instead of kicking the field goal or picking up the first down, the coaches dialed up a low-percentage fade route for our wildly inaccurate QB

Or when the coaches stubbornly refused to rotate any offensive linemen, only to discover through injury at the end of the year that our best offensive lineman on the team had been riding the pine all season long.

Trust me, the coaches have give us PLENTY of reasons to question their decision-making this year and, frankly, we might have had another loss or two if not for the fact that the seat had become so damn hot from their manifest incompetence that they had to accede to some of the demands from the fanbase and media if only to try and fail so they could say, "See! We did what you wanted and it didn't help!" Except it did.

• Fire 3

Is anyone else besides me concerned that we only have 1 RB commit for the '16 class?

Discussion in the recruiting forum has the opinion that the staff was only looking to bring in one for 2016

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere.

Sigh. I don't care about their HS stats once they hit the college field. Ameer proved that he was a stud. So were Rex and Roy.

And Newby was the #75 player overall according to Rivals when he was coming out of HS.

Newby is more or less a bust at this point, IMO. Maybe Taylor or Wilbon can be 'that guy', I dunno, we've been waitng 2 years to see Taylor. Ameer, Rex, and Roy were all good, but I wouldn't call them great. I miss having a great, domineering RB @ NU, we used to be RB U. I would love to be surprised some year and have the next 5* Leonard Fournette sign with us for a chancge. Or any 5* player. We haven't had a difference maker--ay any position--on this team for eons other than Suh.

This 3* stuff isn't going to cut it.

Let's stop and talk recruiting. :)

Corn, who do you want to start RB next year? My opinion is Ozigbo.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere.

Sigh. I don't care about their HS stats once they hit the college field. Ameer proved that he was a stud. So were Rex and Roy.

And Newby was the #75 player overall according to Rivals when he was coming out of HS.

Newby is more or less a bust at this point, IMO. Maybe Taylor or Wilbon can be 'that guy', I dunno, we've been waitng 2 years to see Taylor. Ameer, Rex, and Roy were all good, but I wouldn't call them great. I miss having a great, domineering RB @ NU, we used to be RB U. I would love to be surprised some year and have the next 5* Leonard Fournette sign with us for a chancge. Or any 5* player. We haven't had a difference maker--ay any position--on this team for eons other than Suh.

Ozigbo isn't that fast nor is he terribly elusive. Wilbon is better in all regards and gets my vote. Of course, if Adam Taylor comes in and lives up to original billng, he could be the ticket. But, he blew out a knee in H.S. and an ankle last year I guess, so how much could we expect from him? Wilbon is the ticket, me thinks.

Now, if and only if, Newby toughens up and learns to break tackles, he could still compete for #1. But I've been saying that for 2 years and it hasn't happened.

I think Devine clearly showed the best "complete package" RB we had this season when he was in. Enough speed to turn the corner, enough size to bully his way down the middle and get the tough yards when needed, and the agility to make the first 1-2 guys miss. Epley's testing listed Ozigbo as the best athlete this team has.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devine-Ozigbo-27459?Institution=21028

Since those who follow recruiting like to use 247's composite ranking (average of all 4 major recruiting services), Ozigbo was ranked the #56 RB coming out of high school. We should probably cut him from the team though, right?

Ozigbo isn't that fast nor is he terribly elusive. Wilbon is better in all regards and gets my vote. Of course, if Adam Taylor comes in and lives up to original billng, he could be the ticket. But, he blew out a knee in H.S. and an ankle last year I guess, so how much could we expect from him? Wilbon is the ticket, me thinks.

Now, if and only if, Newby toughens up and learns to break tackles, he could still compete for #1. But I've been saying that for 2 years and it hasn't happened.

Even better. See what I said about 247.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mikale-Wilbon-21725?Institution=1800

Average recruiting site had Mikale listed as a 3 star RB, #21 overall. Should we run him out of town?

Average recruiting site had Mikale listed as a 3 star RB, #21 overall. Should we run him out of town?

I counter with Rivals, 4*, 16th overall RB. Hey, I'm good with Wilbon if he pans out. I'm just a bit concerned that Riley has only recruited Ozigbo and Bryant who are merely "solid". Jordan Stevenson doesn't count, since, you know, he's gone. I'm concerned about Riley's recruiting @ the RB position, is what I'm saying here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/wku/football/recruiting/player-Mikale-Wilbon-141266

I counter with Rivals, 4*, 16th overall RB. hey, I'm good with Wilbon if he pans out. I'm just a bit concerned that Riley has only recruited Ozigbo and Bryant who are merely "solid". Jordan Stevenson doesn't count, since, you know, he's gone. I'm concerned about Riley's recruiting @ the RB position, is what I'm saying here.

I just said I used the composite ratings to try and remove bias haha. But I will acknowledge he was a 4 star on some services.

My point is you have nothing to base your concern on but stars, and stars are very flawed.

yeah Ameer, Rex and Helu with all their records were just OK. To me if you don't run for at least 2,000 yards in a season they should be forced to transfer

I counter with Rivals, 4*, 16th overall RB. hey, I'm good with Wilbon if he pans out. I'm just a bit concerned that Riley has only recruited Ozigbo and Bryant who are merely "solid". Jordan Stevenson doesn't count, since, you know, he's gone. I'm concerned about Riley's recruiting @ the RB position, is what I'm saying here.

I just said I used the composite ratings to try and remove bias haha. But I will acknowledge he was a 4 star on some services.

My point is you have nothing to base your concern on but stars, and stars are very flawed.

Yeah, stars are flawed. Tell that to Bama, FSU, tOSU, OU, etc......that is, teams that have been dominating the polls. Tell that to Fournette, Derrick Henry, or Dalvin Cook. I've been watching this game for 50 years, I know studs when I see them, dagnabbit, lol! It's ok to dream....

yeah Ameer, Rex and Helu with all their records were just OK. To me if you don't run for at least 2,000 yards in a season they should be forced to transfer

I'm not saying they weren't very good backs for us.

I counter with Rivals, 4*, 16th overall RB. Hey, I'm good with Wilbon if he pans out. I'm just a bit concerned that Riley has only recruited Ozigbo and Bryant who are merely "solid". Jordan Stevenson doesn't count, since, you know, he's gone. I'm concerned about Riley's recruiting @ the RB position, is what I'm saying here.

What better way to justify throwing the ball nonstop than to not even have any RBs on the roster?

I'm being a bit facetious, but de-emphasizing the run game is a multi-pronged approach for Riley & Co., consisting of game planning (run/pass balance), play selection (vanilla run plays vs. creative run plays), personnel (Newby vs. actual running backs), and recruiting (not going after many/any RBs).

So Bryant is just merely solid and he hasn't stepped on campus yet. That kid could be the real deal. Averaged 10 yds per carry at the highest level of football in missouri. Pretty excited about the kid. And he can pass block, takes a lot of pride in it. Can't wait till he gets on campus. Clocked an electronic 4.5 at a combine and had a like a 38 inch vertical. I believe this kid is underrated and will be a player

• Fire 1

Mikale seemed to make things happen when he was in there, had a knack for finding the hole.

Where is this coming from? He hasn't played since garbage time in the 2nd game of the year. He had 6 carries against BYU and gained 13 yards.

Can someone make gifs of how great Wilbon is running the ball?

Well, in his brief appearance in the BYU game, it seemed clear to me that he was making some things happen when he had the ball: finding the hole, breaking tackles, good elusiveness. Of course, we'd have liked to have seen a larger sample size. Not sure what happened, assume he hadn't learned the blocking schemes good enough for the coaches' tastes. I've been pulling for Newby, but the guy can't break a tackle to save his life. Goes down way to easy.

Versus BYU, he had 6 carries for 14 yards. One of those carries went for 7 yards. So the rest means 5 carries for 7 yards.

Versus South Alabama he had 3 carries for 21 yards. One of those being 19 yards. So the rest was 2 for 2.

I don't want to take away from what you believe you saw, but the numbers don't really show a consistency for breaking tackles and good elusiveness.

If you watch the tape, several times Wilbon had defenders in the backfield almost simultaneous to the handoff, and actually showed his instincts to get a zero yard play instead of a TFL. Stats don't show everything.