Collins Declares for NFL

Brouhaha

It's been mentioned a couple times on this board that a number of the people on the dl are having issues with the coaches, most notably Vv. This issue I believe (I am speculating here) is the major cause for Vv considering leaving early.

So, let me get this straight.

We just went through a season where we saw great improvement from the front seven with rushing defense and as a whole, that made them a better unit all around.

And these guys have a problem?

So, coaches get you to play better as a unit and you don't like that?

It's been mentioned a couple times on this board that a number of the people on the dl are having issues with the coaches, most notably Vv. This issue I believe (I am speculating here) is the major cause for Vv considering leaving early.

No surprise with Hank Hughes. Nearly 4 decades of coaching d-lines and he manages to only get 3 lineman drafted... Very few all-conference selections as well. Todd Orlando's and Don Brown's (two of the top DC's in the game) schemes made his position look good on paper. The worst hire in Nebraska football history IMO.

No surprise with Hank Hughes. Nearly 4 decades of coaching d-lines and he manages to only get 3 lineman drafted... Very few all-conference selections as well. Todd Orlando's and Don Brown's (two of the top DC's in the game) schemes made his position look good on paper. The worst hire in Nebraska football history IMO.

I mean, we hired Callahan and that ST coach.

Steven M. Sipple: Collins worked hard for NFL board's 2nd-round grade

7 hours ago • By STEVEN M. SIPPLE | LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

Maliek Collins' athleticism impresses NFL coaches and front-office types. He has an elite-level football frame, and he's ultra-quick off the ball, especially for someone his size.
There probably is at least one other reason the 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive lineman recently received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. His work ethic is excellent.
Gonna miss this guy. Wishing him the best of luck in the NFL.
  • Fire 1

Wow. In Nebraska football history. That's amazing.

• Fire 1
We just went through a season where we saw great improvement from the front seven with rushing defense and as a whole, that made them a better unit all around.

Maybe the players on the defensive line believe they played better this season despite their coaches, not because of them. Or maybe they believe they could even have done better, with the people they had.

Myself, I was pretty underwhelmed with the defensive line's production, considering the players we put on the field.

Hyperbole much?

Picking nits, I count 4 from his time at UConn and Memphis. (Marcus Bell 2001, Kendall Reyes, 2012, Trevardo Williams 2013, Shamar Stephan 2014)

But it would be hard to get kids drafted when spending 16 years of your coaching career at Albany, Springfield, Northeastern, Lafayette, James Madison, and Harvard. And throw in 2 years with the Montreal Machine of the WLAF.

Looking at it another way, he has had a DL drafted 3 times in the last 4 drafts. I'd say that pretty good.

Is he the best DL coach around? Probably not. But how about giving him another year before drawing too many conclusions.

• Fire 3

Wow. In Nebraska football history. That's amazing.

I think firing Marvin Sanders and replacing him with Phil Elmassion has a leg up on the hiring of Hank Hughes

Maybe the players on the defensive line believe they played better this season despite their coaches, not because of them. Or maybe they believe they could even have done better, with the people they had.

Myself, I was pretty underwhelmed with the defensive line's production, considering the players we put on the field.

Ummm...Ok.

We went from #77 in the country in rush defense with a 4.7 yard average and 23 TDs to #7 rush defense with 3.7 yard average and 17 TDs.

We had 7 fewer sacks last year but also had lost what many consider a great pass rusher and was replaced by arguably a much less talented (although great heart and effort) kid. The other guy (Freedom) who was emerging as a pass rusher had injury problems.

Sounds to me like if it's true these guys have problems with the coaching staff, it's because they are pining for the staff that got fired. If they loved them so much, they should have played better so the could keep their jobs.

Sorry, I'm not buying what you are selling. Sounds to me like a made up story on message boards by fans who don't like certain coaches on the staff.

• Fire 2

Wisconsin last year was a disaster. But controlling for that game, which had a RB of much higher quality than any faced this year, the stats in run defense end up being quite similar.

People are focusing too much on the stats without context. That's a general statement. I have little to no opinion about Hughes other than I wonder how he relates on the recruiting trail. But I don't have enough evidence to judge at this point.

Oh, and I hope VV comes back but wouldn't blame him if he leaves. First contracts aren't big enough to risk the effort of moving up unless you think you can make a 2+ round jump. Why take the extra wear and tear? Maybe if the NFL told him they want him to demonstrate that he can stay on the field injury wise.

So if the DL played better despite their coaches, what does that say about how they played for the coaches they liked?

• Fire 2

Wisconsin last year was a disaster. But controlling for that game, which had a RB of much higher quality than any faced this year, the stats in run defense end up being quite similar.

Nebraska DL gave up almost 900 less yards in 2015 compared to 2014. Take away Melvin Gordon's big day and you are still in the 450-500 yard difference range.

So if the DL played better despite their coaches, what does that say about how they played for the coaches they liked?

And our DL was a mash unit this year. We rarely had the cupboard full as Gangwish, Freedom, Vince, Maurice, and Williams all missed multiple games.

Nebraska DL gave up almost 900 less yards in 2015 compared to 2014. Take away Melvin Gordon's big day and you are still in the 450-500 yard difference range.

You can't take all 400 from Gordon, but say he goes for 150. That's ~650 yard difference.