Husker S&C, Janovich

C N Red

Really good interview with Jano today on Sharp and Benning. Check it out.

http://www.1620thezone.com/SharpandBenningPodcastPage.aspx

Couple nuggets.

Under Dobson they never really did any olympic lifts, hang clean only! No snatch, power clean, full clean, etc

Never really did any testing. Didn't use the sports science wing. Now using it and able to track if guys are progressing. Can tailor lifting/exercise/etc to individual that way in order to help them progress.

Crazy stuff. No wonder Epley said we were so far behind.

• Fire 5

And not doing snatches, which can be hard on shoulders and other joints, is fairly common. Maybe they are treating it like cross fit and using light weight for cardio. But generally, most strength programs deal mainly in power cleaning for atheletic development. There's not a hell of a lot of benefit on the football field for being able to do full snatches.

• Fire 3

Really good interview with Jano today on Sharp and Benning. Check it out.

http://www.1620thezone.com/SharpandBenningPodcastPage.aspx

Couple nuggets.

Under Dobson they never really did any olympic lifts, hang clean only! No snatch, power clean, full clean, etc

Never really did any testing. Didn't use the sports science wing. Now using it and able to track if guys are progressing. Can tailor lifting/exercise/etc to individual that way in order to help them progress.

Crazy stuff. No wonder Epley said we were so far behind.

I think I read that Stanford doesn't do bench press.

And not doing snatches, which can be hard on shoulders and other joints, is fairly common. Maybe they are treating it like cross fit and using light weight for cardio. But generally, most strength programs deal mainly in power cleaning for atheletic development. There's not a hell of a lot of benefit on the football field for being able to do full snatches.

Well since you wanted to bring up cross fit. Here is how they feel about why "full" stanches are important

http://www.tabatatimes.com/why-we-snatch/

Well since you wanted to bring up cross fit. Here is how they feel about why "full" stanches are important

The cult weighs in. Excellent.

Anyway, here's the perspective of someone who trains pro atheletic: https://footballbeyondthestats.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/just-say-no-to-olympic-lifts-at-least-for-nfl-players/

• Fire 2

Anyway, here's the perspective of someone who trains pro atheletic: https://footballbeyondthestats.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/just-say-no-to-olympic-lifts-at-least-for-nfl-players/

Why didn't we just hire you over Mark Philipp and Boyd Epley.....What was the athletic department thinking?? You could have been HC, OC, DC, Strength Coach as well as recruiting coordinator

• Fire 2

Love me a good snatch

• Fire 3

Why didn't we just hire you over Mark Philipp and Boyd Epley.....What was the athletic department thinking?? You could have been HC, OC, DC, Strength Coach as well as recruiting coordinator

All I'm saying is that it's not as shocking as you (and Benning) want to make it out to be.

There are many different philosophies. I happen to agree with those that think learning a power snatch/clean is not really worth the time and effort because it doesn't necessarily translate to the football field. I think hang clean is a great lift and gets basically the same results (coupled with plyometrics).

A football player today probably gets 1 to 1.5 hours in the gym during the off season and maybe 1 hour during the season (during which he's also beat up). Time allocation is important, so cost/benefit analysis should be employed with respect to each movement in a strength program.

• Fire 2

All I'm saying is that it's not as shocking as you (and Benning) want to make it out to be.

There are many different philosophies. I happen to agree with those that think learning a power snatch/clean is not really worth the time and effort because it doesn't necessarily translate to the football field. I think hang clean is a great lift and gets basically the same results (coupled with plyometrics).

A football player today probably gets 1 to 1.5 hours in the gym during the off season and maybe 1 hour during the season (during which he's also beat up). Time allocation is important, so cost/benefit analysis should be employed with respect to each movement in a strength program.

Didn't the sports science lab not even open until 2014?

I may need to listen for myself, because I have a feeing that the recap is pushing an agenda.

So, did I push my agenda. Or did I basically just say what was said in the interview?

• Fire 2

I think Benning is pushing an agenda and feeding leading questions and spinning replies throughout the interview. Mostly about buy in. I didn't have a chance to listen through so didn't hear discussion about performance lab.

AJ wasn't going to throw his coaches or his teammates as athletes under the bus, so that left the ambiguous "buy in" excuse. But asked for examples, AJ pointed to post lost grumbles about play calling and guys being late for workouts (when the current staff wasn't holding them accountable like the previous one did). Once the staff held guys accountable, the guys showed up. That's hardly uncommon. College kids will take what they can skate.

Also, it's good to hear the message Riley gives to the team about practice habits. That's encouraging.

• Fire 1

There are a lot of lifts that don't translate to the football field. But that's not why you DON'T do them.

Why would you waste time doing anything that doesn't translate to on field performance. There are no weight room warrior awards for college football teams.

As coach, I have thought about this over and over for years...here are my thoughts...

1. Working out in general is good for you

2. Making the workouts a competition or having a competition component is good for you and the team

With that said...are there things that are done both in the weight room and with conditioning? Yes, all the time. But it is super hard to strip things down to just fitting into the category of "it must translate to the field"

For instance...many coaches argue that barbell bench is pointless and dumb bells are more realistic as a football simulation.

Then you have the vertical jump...from a stand still position...that makes almost no sense in the sport of football...you are always running when you jump or at the very least moving.

You have some coaches that don't stretch at all and others that stretch all the time and others that only do dynamic stretching.

It goes on and on.

Everything "translates" to performance in one way or another I guess...

• Fire 1

I agree with much of your post, TeachCD.

Just a couple of points:

1. Correct, almost no lift translates 100% to the field. However, certain lifts are more time consuming in terms of teach technique and also riskier in terms of wear and tear on joints, as well as risk of kinetic injury. I'd try to avoid or modify those to the extent possible, which is why I'm a big proponent of hang clean, but not so much of from the ground to overhead lifts.

2. Re: the vertical jump, I actually think that's a great gauge of athleticism (maybe the single best test, if I had to rely on just one). That said, I certainly wouldn't devote time to rep'ing vertical jump or even teaching a lot of technique on it (until a guy is prepping for pro day/combine. Even then, the techniques are not very time consuming to learn (unlike olympic lifts).

• Fire 1