Husker S&C, Janovich

C N Red

Sounds like this team is also not completely mature enough to police themselves to weed out the egos on the team. Don't like hearing kids talking about how they should have played more or they should be starting over someone. The lack of attitude and effort in practice, showing up late, etc. It's more meaningful if players are chewing teammates out and holding them accountable. Coaches only have so much impact.

If you have players thinking they are better than the teammates getting playing time, I would say I contribute a portion of that attitude to lack of competition during practices. It should be a no brainer who they players are and it should be the backups job to work up to their level.

I agree with your statement 100% with the exception of the bolded part. I think to be an elite athlete (heck, elite anything) you need to be inherently selfish whether that's reps in practice, film room study, whatever. I have no issue with players chirping saying they are the best and should be playing. Now, if you're chirping about wanting to play more and you aren't outworking or putting in the time needed to unseat the starter, then you need to pipe down.

Yup. I can agree with that wholeheartedly

No...the VJ probably has nothing to do with the reaction of an OL off the ball...The VJ is not tested (that i have ever seen) off of a snap count.

He's obviously talking about how quickly they explode from their stance given that they've heard the snap. Not how fast they react to a noise.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other...like for instance...being great at "slap jack" probably doesn't mean you are great at the VJ...

Exactly. Reacting to the snap has nothing to do with VJ, which no one is claiming.

60227022.jpg

• Fire 1

Sounds like this team is also not completely mature enough to police themselves to weed out the egos on the team. Don't like hearing kids talking about how they should have played more or they should be starting over someone. The lack of attitude and effort in practice, showing up late, etc. It's more meaningful if players are chewing teammates out and holding them accountable. Coaches only have so much impact.

If you have players thinking they are better than the teammates getting playing time, I would say I contribute a portion of that attitude to lack of competition during practices. It should be a no brainer who they players are and it should be the backups job to work up to their level.

I agree with your statement 100% with the exception of the bolded part. I think to be an elite athlete (heck, elite anything) you need to be inherently selfish whether that's reps in practice, film room study, whatever. I have no issue with players chirping saying they are the best and should be playing. Now, if you're chirping about wanting to play more and you aren't outworking or putting in the time needed to unseat the starter, then you need to pipe down.

The impression I got from the interview was that it was simply players second-guessing lots of things the coaches were doing, and much of that second-guessing was being egged on by social media comments from fans, undoubtedly from Pelini-apologists like cm husker who took every opportunity this year to run around screaming "the sky is falling."

I'm glad the players finally, apparently, stopped listening to the Chicken Littles of the world. The future can be very bright for this program if everyone approaches it with an open mind and hard work.

I thought it was a great interview and I really like Jano. I hope (and trust) he'll do well in the NFL.

• Fire 1

To the question of when it opened, no.

It opened in May 2013. They had an excuse to not use it in 2013 but no excuse to not use it in 2014.

Comments the former coach made in the past led me to believe he's not interested in data.

Not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing but just adding some context:

I had a chance to tour the football facilities last June. When we got to the APL, we got a bit of an overview of the facility from the guy who runs a lot of the operation - his name escapes me now but he has been around the football team since the Osborne days - and Curt Tomasevicz. They said even then there were still "learning how to use it." As in, they knew they had a lot of opportunities to do really interesting things but they were still figuring out what to focus on and how to go about doing that. Especially with the football team where the logistics of gathering data on 100+ guys is a daunting task.

So it might not be as easy to point fingers as it may seem.

It opened in May 2013. They had an excuse to not use it in 2013 but no excuse to not use it in 2014.

Comments the former coach made in the past led me to believe he's not interested in data.

I had a chance to tour the football facilities last June. When we got to the APL, we got a bit of an overview of the facility from the guy who runs a lot of the operation - his name escapes me now but he has been around the football team since the Osborne days - and Curt Tomasevicz. They said even then there were still "learning how to use it." As in, they knew they had a lot of opportunities to do really interesting things but they were still figuring out what to focus on and how to go about doing that. Especially with the football team where the logistics of gathering data on 100+ guys is a daunting task.

Pointing fingers isnt that hard actually, given as long as you have at least one. Of course im not counting thumbs, as they are obviously not fingers.

It's pretty easy since researchers have done dissertations using weightlifting data on lots of players and brain imaging data (those are just 2 I know of), and at least three other sports have been using it for awhile.

It's pretty easy since researchers have done dissertations using weightlifting data on lots of players and brain imaging data (those are just 2 I know of), and at least three other sports have been using it for awhile.

I would submit that none of the other sports have as many athletes as football does.

But I'm just telling you what they told me.

And not doing snatches, which can be hard on shoulders and other joints, is fairly common. Maybe they are treating it like cross fit and using light weight for cardio. But generally, most strength programs deal mainly in power cleaning for atheletic development. There's not a hell of a lot of benefit on the football field for being able to do full snatches.

Well since you wanted to bring up cross fit. Here is how they feel about why "full" stanches are important

http://www.tabatatimes.com/why-we-snatch/

The cult weighs in. Excellent.

Anyway, here's the perspective of someone who trains pro atheletic: https://footballbeyondthestats.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/just-say-no-to-olympic-lifts-at-least-for-nfl-players/

Why didn't we just hire you over Mark Philipp and Boyd Epley.....What was the athletic department thinking?? You could have been HC, OC, DC, Strength Coach as well as recruiting coordinator

tumblr_nvf113JDKP1sropy0o1_400.gif

I don't think CM is asking to be the coach. Just pointing out there are a lot of different Philosiphies when it comes to strength training. Not just Boyd Epleys. I would argue the Philipp needs to adjust his weight training regimen. We had far to many groin injuries this year that killed our depth in key positions.

Please give me the a detailed breakdown of groin injuries over the last ten years. if someone else can remember a season with as many groin injuries please point it out. That last few years everybody was pissing and moaning about blown knees being S and C fault. Don't remember anything about groins.