NU Need for Solid Backup QB

I guess we're assuming ZD will never see thew field as a Husker, is that true? Anyway, I'm not opposed to bringing in a competent hired gun @ the position, though I haven't completely given up on Fyfe either.

ZD will never play, JMO. Fyfe is a senior this season, so he is gone in 2017. I think the coaches are looking for another option for 2017 to compete with POB or be a veteran backup.

Really bothers me about ZD, I thought he could be a good one for us. Hmm, QB position is suddenly looking pretty thin for '17, I hope they get it figured out.

That's why they are bringing in that kid from Tulane. Riley is eyeing him as the backup QB for '17 and maybe '18 if he gets another year of eligibility.

Montana's kid? Might have to go up against The Hat(LSU) for him.

Nope this guy. http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tanner_lee_838202.html

I think we are finally going to have some real depth this year at QB. If the rumors of Darlington being basically suspended but cleared to play last year are true, he adds some major talent. POB could play backup or start if he comes in as prepared as billed. Tommy probably understands this is his last hoorah to make an impression and could make the most of it.

I hate to say it, but Nebraska and LSU may be two of the worst places to go if you're trying to get to the NFL as a QB. Neither school has had great success with their quarterbacks recently. And with the exception of Mettenberger, LSU has really struggled to develop any semblance of a quarterback in recent years.

Nebraska, at least, has some potential given Langsdorf and Riley's backgrounds/reputations.

I hate to say it, but Nebraska and LSU may be two of the worst places to go if you're trying to get to the NFL as a QB. Neither school has had great success with their quarterbacks recently. And with the exception of Mettenberger, LSU has really struggled to develop any semblance of a quarterback in recent years.

Nebraska, at least, has some potential given Langsdorf and Riley's backgrounds/reputations.

Don't hate on Jamarcus Russell dude.

Some NFL analysts recently pointed out that despite its dominance in college football, Alabama doesn't exactly churn out NFL caliber quarterbacks, either.

Even the college QBs who put up huge passing stats in air raid offenses like La.Tech, Houston, Hawaii and Texas Tech rarely translate to the pro game.

Given the 32 starting QBs in the NFL, some of which aren't very good and not likely to survive the next season, you'd have to conclude NFL quality quarterbacks are a statistical rarity regardless of the school they went to.

Whatever offense you're running, you want a QB with football smarts and leadership. That doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, and sometimes it disappears when that high school superstar arrives on a college campus without his hometown safety net, and gets cracked in the mouth by a teammate who doesn't think he's all that.

In 2009 we were a QB away from a lot more than just a conference title

That is the absolute truth. That year could have been special.

Even if Lee were healthy, I give us two more wins (ISU, Texas)

You can't put it all on Lee. The WR's in 2009 had major problems with the drops.

Well yeah. I'm just saying that if Lee hadn't been injured basically all year and were healthy, we could have won at least one more game.

Some NFL analysts recently pointed out that despite its dominance in college football, Alabama doesn't exactly churn out NFL caliber quarterbacks, either.

Even the college QBs who put up huge passing stats in air raid offenses like La.Tech, Houston, Hawaii and Texas Tech rarely translate to the pro game.

Given the 32 starting QBs in the NFL, some of which aren't very good and not likely to survive the next season, you'd have to conclude NFL quality quarterbacks are a statistical rarity regardless of the school they went to.

Whatever offense you're running, you want a QB with football smarts and leadership. That doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, and sometimes it disappears when that high school superstar arrives on a college campus without his hometown safety net, and gets cracked in the mouth by a teammate who doesn't think he's all that.

I saw some stat earlier this year that AJ McCarron was the first Alabama QB to win a NFL game since the 80s.

I guess I should've clarified my bigger point was that both of these schools haven't been consistent at churning out really good college quarterbacks in general, regardless of NFL potential. I brought the NFL into the mix but I was relating it more to their college careers. Quarterback play has been pretty woeful at both programs over the last 7-8 years with the exception of Mettenberger. I think Martinez did a lot of great things for Nebraska but his turnovers will always be a bit of a black eye to me.

It should be obvious why the staff has made an effort at bringing more QBs into the QB room. Our '17 situation is basically POB and a true freshman right now. It's _not_ good.

That's why they would've signed 2 QBs in this class if they could've held onto both. It's why they looked at that walk-on candidate and why they're pursuing Lee.

QBs have a high rate of not panning out at all. There's no guarantee either the '16 or '17 QB recruits do and no indications that anybody else on the roster has. Even recruits who look promising at one time can fall off the map very quickly (as was the case with Stanton).

Where 'Bama has lacked in big name superstars, they've always had plenty of competition and some pretty solid players. We need to get there, fast, because it's a long ways from where the QB situation has been.

I understand the coaching staff didn't want to "settle" at recruiting a high school QB in the 2015 cycle, but I thought they should have brought at least 1 QB in. By the time that guy is in his 3rd, 4th, or 5th year in the system, he could have been an option at QB, or at least the backup to POB. I know that it's tough for guys to stay at the school for 4 or 5 years if they are relegated to backup duty.

But, there could be a guy like Joe Ganz. Ganz was in BC's first class in 2004, who signed less than a month after Callahan was hired. Ganz stuck it out at NU while he saw guys like Beck, Freeman, and Keller brought in/recruited. Ganz probably could have started as a RS Junior in 2007 and was a pretty good QB in 2008.