Has Riley recruited a future championship squad to Nebraska?

Saunders

A lot of this star gazing is pointless. Marlon lucky was a 5* and Ameer was a 3*. I know who I would take. Don't assume because a guy isn't a 4 or 5 star he isn't a elite athlete. DPE is a freak and he was a 3*.

Stars are not the end all be all of a players talent, or even if he/she will pan out. However, they are a very good indicator of a teams future success. Look at the numbers of stars each player at Alabama got and compare that to say...Iowa St. Then compare the two records. There is a correlation.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but the exceptions don't change the rules.

Exactly

This is a misleading thread. You ask a question about the direction of the team and then link an article that I assume is supposed to be the argument for one side.

​Forget the linked article.

We have good players and needs are being addressed. If the team has a good showing then it will be much easier to recruit quality depth and attract top players next season. That's how it works....that's how it's always worked.​

​There is no definitive answer to this question.....success is and always will be a verb.

Success is used as a noun, FYI.

A conference championship is possible as teams with worse average recruiting rankings (i.e. Wisconsin) have managed to win conference titles.

A national championship however is extremely unlikely with the current team, imho. The last 10 national championship teams have recruited an ESPN Top 10 class in the year prior to winning a title. That does not mean this is an absolute qualifier, but it does show the current trend in college football. I do think if Nebraska wants a legitimate shot at winning a national title again then they will have to have a Top 10 class (or really close to it) on the roster when it happens.

A conference championship is possible as teams with worse average recruiting rankings (i.e. Wisconsin) have managed to win conference titles.

A national championship however is extremely unlikely with the current team, imho. The last 10 national championship teams have recruited an ESPN Top 10 class in the year prior to winning a title. That does not mean this is an absolute qualifier, but it does show the current trend in college football. I do think if Nebraska wants a legitimate shot at winning a national title again then they will have to have a Top 10 class (or really close to it) on the roster when it happens.

I think if you are just looking at that one thing, that is simply a coincidence that happened. No way does a recruiting class have a major impact on winning an NC the next year in football.

I suspect if recruiting is a major factor in winning those championships, if you look 3-5 years prior, their recruiting was a bigger factor than the year just before winning it.

I think if you are just looking at that one thing, that is simply a coincidence that happened. No way does a recruiting class have a major impact on winning an NC the next year in football.

I suspect if recruiting is a major factor in winning those championships, if you look 3-5 years prior, their recruiting was a bigger factor than the year just before winning it.

I don't understand how that could be viewed as merely a 'coincidence.' An event that happens a couple times, sure. But, 10 straight years in a row, applying to several teams from different conferences? That's not a coincidence - that's a trend.

Most of the teams that won titles in the previous 10 years also had Top 10 classes in 2-3 years prior to their title, as well.

Again, that does not mean this is a championship requirement. But, the current trend suggests that if you want to win a national title you have to recruit at a Top 10 level.

Edit - forgot the 'not' after does.

Edited by Enhance89
  • Fire 1

I don't understand how that could be viewed as merely a 'coincidence.' An event that happens a couple times, sure. But, 10 straight years in a row, applying to several teams from different conferences? That's not a coincidence - that's a trend.

Most of the teams that won titles in the previous 10 years also had Top 10 classes in 2-3 years prior to their title, as well.

Again, that does mean this is a championship requirement. But, the current trend suggests that if you want to win a national title you have to recruit at a Top 10 level.

All I'm saying is the bolded part in this post means more than the bolded part in your original post I first quoted.

I'm looking at reality of what really creates a championship team. A recruiting class really isn't going to have that major of impact until 2-4 years down the road.

Even though a few players might play for Nebraska from this class, it's not going to have the same deciding impact on how next season ends up as the classes from 2-4 years ago.

Probably the real telling factor is that these teams recruited at that level for several years in a row.

Minus the Defensive Line, Nebraska has successfully recruited to compete and win games against Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, and Maryland . We are hopefully now on par with Wisconsin and Penn State and are with 9+ wins this year we hope to move toward Mich, MSU, and OSU.

Bring them in, develop them up!

Seriously, if we can't get to where we are at least dominating jNU, Minny, and IA--not to mention, ILL and Purdue--year in and year out, we are speeding way too much $ on this thing.

As long as we're making $ we may as well spend it :P

also, Iowa makes a lot of $ even when they suck.

Last time I checked, I didn't make any $ off of Husker football. My point is, we shouldn't be struggling with lower rent teams like jNU. Look what TN did to jNU in the bowl. Our brand should carry us above and beyond the IA's of the world also. If we can't more or less dominate the B1G West, well....it's a case of diminishing returns.

Seriously, if we can't get to where we are at least dominating jNU, Minny, and IA--not to mention, ILL and Purdue--year in and year out, we are speeding way too much $ on this thing.

Last time I checked, I didn't make any $ off of Husker football. My point is, we shouldn't be struggling with lower rent teams like jNU. Look what TN did to jNU in the bowl. Our brand should carry us above and beyond the IA's of the world also. If we can't more or less dominate the B1G West, well....it's a case of diminishing returns.

The problem is that the Nebraska brand doesn't really exist like it used to. Another thread is going into detail about this right, wondering how Nebraska gets back to a championship level. A lot of work still has to be put into the program before we're able to dominate bottom-feeders again. A lot of work.

The problem is that the Nebraska brand doesn't really exist like it used to. Another thread is going into detail about this right, wondering how Nebraska gets back to a championship level. A lot of work still has to be put into the program before we're able to dominate bottom-feeders again. A lot of work.

The brand lays fallow. Recruit better, coach better, win games, and the brand will resurrect itself. We actually have enough talent now to dominate the West, with exception of Wiscy, IMO. Just gotta get it done.