Has Riley recruited a future championship squad to Nebraska?

Saunders

Davis twins both currently listed @ 265 LBs. They need to put on some wgt, don't they?

You do realize that the roster isn't updated in real time, right?

Banker or Hughes said that Carlos Davis was up to 296. I think he's put on the weight he's needed.

Sweet! Well, we may be alright next season @ DT. I've been real impressed w K Maurice, the guy shoots the gap and makes alot of plays, has some real quicks. K Williams is decent, guess they're moving McM to DT, and I'm hoping Newell, Stoltenberg and Davis Bros will be who we think they are.

One of the biggest problems I have seen we have had is the recruits that are supposed to be our best recruits, so often have not panned out. That is at least true when you look at the 2011 class. It doesn't matter if you recruit 4* players if they don't make it past their 1st year or don't make it to campus at all.

We need to turn that around.

Agree. Recruiting does no good if the coaches can't develop or the players don't want to put in the work to be developed.

Davis twins both currently listed @ 265 LBs. They need to put on some wgt, don't they?

Banker or Hughes said that Carlos Davis was up to 296. I think he's put on the weight he's needed.

Sweet! Well, we may be alright next season @ DT. I've been real impressed w K Maurice, the guy shoots the gap and makes alot of plays, has some real quicks. K Williams is decent, guess they're moving McM to DT, and I'm hoping Newell, Stoltenberg and Davis Bros will be who we think they are.

Moving McMullen from DE to DT will depend a lot on the development of Freedom, Dzuris, Alex Davis, and other guys who can rush the passer.

Moving McMullen from DE to DT will depend a lot on the development of Freedom, Dzuris, Alex Davis, and other guys who can rush the passer.

Freedom and Dzuris are good, not familiar with A Davis.

I think Freedom has the potential to be special. Dzuris is Gangwish 2.0. That's decent, but not great. Alex Davis redshirted last year as a frosh. He is a freak athlete, but hasn't played football very long and is very raw.

I think Freedom has the potential to be special. Dzuris is Gangwish 2.0. That's decent, but not great. Alex Davis redshirted last year as a frosh. He is a freak athlete, but hasn't played football very long and is very raw.

Yeah. There's that DE Neal guy, potential good player, eh?

I forgot about Daishon. He could be good, but struggled with injuries last fall. Hopefully he's not one of those guys who always has chronic injuries.

The only problem is that there could be a lot of dependency on young/inexperienced guys. Yeah, these guys could be talented, but there is a learning curve for most guys. I think the coaches whiffed on not landing a JUCO DE.

I forgot about Daishon. He could be good, but struggled with injuries last fall. Hopefully he's not one of those guys who always has chronic injuries.

The only problem is that there could be a lot of dependency on young/inexperienced guys. Yeah, these guys could be talented, but there is a learning curve for most guys. I think the coaches whiffed on not landing a JUCO DE.

A.J. Natter, DE? Big body, looked good on his h.s. film, I recall.

In the 3 year cycle... 2011, 2012 and 2013... the previous coaching staff signed 22 elite athletes (4 and 5 star players). In 2011 we signed 11 elite players.

Those players have made up this years (2015) and next years (2016) teams. Those players will be gone at the end of next year.

In the latest 3 year cycle... 2014, 2015 and 2016 (2015 and 2016 are Rileys classes) we have signed only 13 elite athletes (4 and 5 star players) for the combined 3 years.

That is around a 40% reduction in elite players recruited in the last 3 years.

No team can have a 40% reduction in elite players on their team and expect better results.

Sad to say... after next year (2016) we will have a distinct lowering of athletic talent on our team. Our problems are only going to intensify.

GBR

Yikes! That is some bad news.

In the 3 year cycle... 2011, 2012 and 2013... the previous coaching staff signed 22 elite athletes (4 and 5 star players). In 2011 we signed 11 elite players.

Those players have made up this years (2015) and next years (2016) teams. Those players will be gone at the end of next year.

In the latest 3 year cycle... 2014, 2015 and 2016 (2015 and 2016 are Rileys classes) we have signed only 13 elite athletes (4 and 5 star players) for the combined 3 years.

No team can have a 40% reduction in elite players on their team and expect better results.

Sad to say... after next year (2016) we will have a distinct lowering of athletic talent on our team. Our problems are only going to intensify.

GBR

I'm not sure its as big as a talent drop off as you think it is. From the 2011 class and their 11 "elite athletes", only 5 made a contribution, and 5 didn't make it past 2 years in Lincoln. Also notice that 2 of our best players from those classes (Abdullah, Collins) are not on the list.

2011 - 5 contributors (1 juco) - A Green, C Jackson, R Klatchko, T Moore, T Peat, R Reeves, D Santos, D Stafford, B Starling, Z Sterup, J Turner

2012 - 4 contributors (1 juco) - Z Anderson, G McMullen, A Moore, M Siesay, P Thurston, J Westercamp

2013 - 4 contributors (1 juco) - J Banderas, R Gregory, M Newby, T Newby, A Taylor

2011-13: 13 contributors (3 juco)

2014 - T Farmer, N Gates, M Harrison, M Wilbon

2015 - A Anderson, J Barnett, K Davis, E Lee, S Morgan, J Stevenson

2016 - M Dismuke, L Jackson, P O'Brien, J Raridon

2014-2016: 12 of the 14 "elite athletes" remain. It will be interesting to see how many of them turn into contributors.

That's not a valid comparison because you're trying to compare the known with the unknown.

The 4 players from 2016 are still here ? I would hope so... they just signed their papers 2 days ago.

The only way you could make a valid comparison would be to compare them when the 2015-2016 players are juniors and seniors.

Attrition is something that happens at all schools... all the time.

GBR

I'm not sure its as big as a talent drop off as you think it is. From the 2011 class and their 11 "elite athletes", only 5 made a contribution, and 5 didn't make it past 2 years in Lincoln. Also notice that 2 of our best players from those classes (Abdullah, Collins) are not on the list.

2011 - 5 contributors (1 juco) - A Green, C Jackson, R Klatchko, T Moore, T Peat, R Reeves, D Santos, D Stafford, B Starling, Z Sterup, J Turner

2012 - 4 contributors (1 juco) - Z Anderson, G McMullen, A Moore, M Siesay, P Thurston, J Westercamp

2013 - 4 contributors (1 juco) - J Banderas, R Gregory, M Newby, T Newby, A Taylor

2011-13: 13 contributors (3 juco)

2014 - T Farmer, N Gates, M Harrison, M Wilbon

2015 - A Anderson, J Barnett, K Davis, E Lee, S Morgan, J Stevenson

2016 - M Dismuke, L Jackson, P O'Brien, J Raridon

2014-2016: 12 of the 14 "elite athletes" remain. It will be interesting to see how many of them turn into contributors.

That's not a valid comparison because you're trying to compare the known with the unknown.

The 4 players from 2016 are still here ? I would hope so... they just signed their papers 2 days ago.

The only way you could make a valid comparison would be to compare them when the 2015-2016 players are juniors and seniors.

Attrition is something that happens at all schools... all the time.

Our 2011 class was way overboard on the attrition/non-contributor for elite players. Not taking that into consideration when claiming our talent level is going to drop considerably in the next year is just ignoring facts. 11 players in that class is a major part of your stats you are using to prop up your argument.

54% of our elite players in that class either left or haven't contributed.

That is way above what any class since has been. Hopefully, into the future, the trend of our 4* or better players contributing will keep growing.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from in order to further your negative agenda. A lot of people use Rivals. According to Rivals the last guy signed fifteen 4* recruits and zero 5* recruits during the 2012-14 time frame. The most "elite" rated recruits we had in one class was six in 2012, and six again in 2015. But in the 2015 class two of them committed to Riley in January 2015.

2015 six 4* recruits (including two signed by Riley)

2014 four 4* recruits

2013 five 4* recruits

2012 six 4* recruits

(2011 eleven 4* recruits) << Added

Rivals has us with 5... 4 star recruits in 2015

You seem to have missed the 2011 and 2016 classes.

I don't have a negative agenda.. I have an honest, realistic agenda. I'm one of the few who actually think we can be great again. But it's going to take a lot of work and a willingness to deal with reality.

My (4 and 5 star) comments are an explanation of what is considered to be an elite athlete. That "elite" talent term is used for all teams when talking about their elite talent.That doesn't mean that we actually signed any 5 star players... and as you pointed out we didn't.

I missed the 2011 year, which as it turns out, may have been Pelini's best recruiting class with eleven 4* recruits. I thought your post was referring to the last three recruiting cycles. And I couldn't figure out where you came up with twenty-two 4* recruits. Frankly, I hadn't remembered that the 2011 class had that many highly rated recruits. Now that I look back at it, it was a pretty impressive class.

What part of my comment above do you disagree with ?

I think this year's class is pretty decent considering the rocky season we just went through. It's comparable to Pelini's last three classes, which is what I thought you were referring to in your post above. But now I see Pelini had two real good classes in 2011 (eleven 4* recruits) and 2010 (eight 4* recruits). After that his haul of elite athletes seemed to drop to 4-6 per year.

• Fire 1

I keep on seeing posts like "the recruiting class is good, especially considering the 6-7 season", which really don't make sense to me. The coaches' game mismanagement were a big reason why the season was so poor, so they don't deserve "extra credit" for recruiting during/after that type of season.

The good recruiters get the kids to come to the school regardless of what is going on with the current season. Also, most of the contact and recruiting happens before the season even starts, and I don't think the kids are questioning "Coach, why is the team so crappy?" If anything, a bad season makes it easier to sell recruits with the chance of playing right away.

Now, a consistent winning program should yield better recruiting classes, as the better seasons continue. This has happened at Baylor, TCU, and Michigan State. But, one bad season or one great season isn't going to make a huge difference in a recruiting class either way.