Overused Catch Phrases to win arguments

If you don't think there is fear used by liberals/Democrats then well.....

I actually think the opposite:

These aren't the only scorn-worthy examples, to be sure.

Everyone will use it, because it's a powerful tool.

But, equivalence is an overly used catchphrase: you know, "both sides". An issue-focused discussion is not necessarily an attack on one party, and even if it were, a merited attack should not be cut down by some suggestion that there are other parties that can be criticized for other things.

B) The other side uses fear about how Republicans want to take all of women's health care away and they will be left stranded....bla bla bla.....

I mean, open your eyes. Removal of access to care is a tactic, and it's employed to the actual detriment of people. For example, open abortion clinics in TX (2012 on the left, 2015 on the right):

0805-web-ABORTION2-720px.png

(NYT)

One guess as to which direction that's trending. White circles are ones that would have closed under a proposed law as of last June. Roe v Wade has been under assail since it came down, and look at the campaign promises of a large number of political candidates from a certain party on this issue.

It'd be staggering to put that on the same level as the guys who made the Planned Parenthood scare videos that have been taken up by Republican candidates such as Carly Fiorina. The same guys who, in seeking indictment, saw Planned Parenthood cleared and then got indicted themselves on felony charges.

We tend to think of progress as monotonic in its advancement, but it is not. Battles that were won decades ago can and will be rolled back if there is opportunity. We tend to take for granted the United State's status as a modern, progressive world leader, but all of that depends on not resting on laurels and continued efforts in the right direction. There's plenty of room to back up.

This is true, everyone uses it just as everyone uses pretty much any logical fallacy to support their cause, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that means it's the same. That is the fallacy of false equivalency. A perfect example of this is the increasing partisanship we see in politics - the right is becoming more and more right, and the left more left, but just because both are, doesn't mean they are equal. The right has traveled much further right than the left has traveled left.

• Fire 1

This is true, everyone uses it just as everyone uses pretty much any logical fallacy to support their cause, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that means it's the same. That is the fallacy of false equivalency. A perfect example of this is the increasing partisanship we see in politics - the right is becoming more and more right, and the left more left, but just because both are, doesn't mean they are equal. The right has traveled much further right than the left has traveled left.

yeah dat ^^^.

I said quite the opposite:

These aren't the only scorn-worthy examples, to be sure.

Everyone will use it, because it's a powerful tool.

Equivalence is an overly used catchphrase, actually! "Both sides".

B) The other side uses fear about how Republicans want to take all of women's health care away and they will be left stranded....bla bla bla.....

I mean, open your eyes. Removal of access is a tactic, and it's employed to the actual detriment of people. For example:

0805-web-ABORTION2-720px.png

One guess as to which direction that's trending.

It'd be staggering to put that on the same level as the guys who made the Planned Parenthood scare videos that have been taken up by Republican candidates such as Carly Fiorina. The same guys who, in seeking indictment, saw Planned Parenthood cleared and then got indicted themselves on felony charges.

We tend to think of progress as monotonic in its advancement, but it is not. Battles that were won decades ago can and will be rolled back if there is opportunity. We tend to take for granted the United State's status as a modern, progressive world leader, but all of that depends on not resting on laurels and continued efforts in the right direction. There's plenty of room to back up.

How is this different than Republicans acting like we should fear terrorism and be tough on it in other ways? Sure, Trump is an idiot and has taken it to the idiotic extreme so discussing his comments is a worthless exercise.

Terrorism is something that is a very serious issue. And, there are people who are actively trying to attack America right now. That is reality. Those people are from the outside the US and within the US. It is a real threat.

But, when Republicans talk about it, I hear from the Dems....."Their using fear mongering". Well.....using that phrase does nothing other than solidifies their base. It doesn't debate the issue and help find solutions. It gets votes for the Dems.

Republicans don't want to take all health care away from women. But, the Dems will make you think they do. Are some women affected by Republicans policies by losing some of their services? Sure.....That doesn't mean Republicans WANTED that to happen.

In reality, if the two sides would come to their friggen senses actually discuss it in a manner that will actually solve something, women wouldn't lose anything and the NEED for abortion would diminish greatly.

Problem is with all of these things, neither side wants to resolve the issues because they are hot topics that solidify the bases.

ISIS is not going to get on a boat, travel across the Pacific and attack us, sorry. Nor is Iran, or Russia, or Korea. It would be suicide for them to do so. There are valid terror threats in the USA, primarily from neo-nazi type groups and some very small, random, Jihadist groups. The thing about Jihadism is that it requires people that want to commit suicide and that's a tough sell.

Not saying there aren't some threats, just saying that the Right Wing hypes the threats to pander to their base.

ISIS is not going to get on a boat, travel across the Pacific and attack us, sorry. Nor is Iran, or Russia, or Korea. It would be suicide for them to do so. There are valid terror threats in the USA, primarily from neo-nazi type groups and some very small, random, Jihadist groups. The thing about Jihadism is that it requires people that want to commit suicide and that's a tough sell.

Not saying there aren't some threats, just saying that the Right Wing hypes the threats to pander to their base.

Not saying they don't.

Not saying they don't.

Does this mean we agree again?

Not saying they don't.

Hey....I'm an equal opportunity trasher of political sides. I'll trash the Republicans all day long.......where we probably won't agree is with the other side.

Not saying they don't.

Hey....I'm an equal opportunity trasher of political sides. I'll trash the Republicans all day long.......where we probably won't agree is with the other side.

Well, I don't necessarily consider myself a Dem, more of a radical, proletariat revolutionary type, lol....

Not saying they don't.

Well, I don't necessarily consider myself a Dem, more of a radical, proletariat revolutionary type, lol....

And, I am far from a radical Republican (I'm not even a republican at all).

I always laugh at this.

When i talk to someone who is a far left liberal, I always come away thinking....DANG, I am really conservative.

When I talk to someone who is far right Republican, I always come away thinking....DANG, I am really liberal.

I just wish more people would look at their "side" and criticize their "side" more instead of always pointing the finger at the other side and yelling.

Not saying they don't.

I always laugh at this.

When i talk to someone who is a far left liberal, I always come away thinking....DANG, I am really conservative.

When I talk to someone who is far right Republican, I always come away thinking....DANG, I am really liberal.

I just wish more people would look at their "side" and criticize their "side" more instead of always pointing the finger at the other side and yelling.

Ain't it the truth.

Not saying they don't.

I always laugh at this.

Staunch supporters of either side drive me crazy. They often don't use their brains. I lean left on lots of issues but I think the system is pretty effed and think $ should not be involved in the way it is. Policies and politicians are controlled by $ and that isn't right. On both sides.

I don't think anyone actually agrees with everything that politicians on one side or the other do. They just think they do. I've often seen studies where people are asked where they stand on certain issues and a lot of times proclaimed staunch Republicans strongly agree with the Democrats on several issues. And vice versa. They just don't realize what their representatives are actually doing when they go to work.

Anyhow, it's those types of Republicans who lump all liberals in with agreeing with every single thing they don't like. And those types of Democrats who lump all conservatives in with agreeing with every single thing they don't like.

For instance: the far left democrats who think everyone who's pro life is anti women's rights. That isn't the case for all (or even many) pro-lifers. Pro lifers think there is a human in the womb, therefore it's not a women's rights issue. From a pro lifer's point of view there is another person involved. It's about the baby's rights to them. The Democrats just try to make it sound as bad as possible to make their side sound better.