Overused Catch Phrases to win arguments

"Bigot"

You don't agree with my worldview, so you're a bigot.

The irony is astounding.

So is this false equivalency?

For example, my worldview says that everyone should be protected equally under the law. My worldview says that blatant discrimination against one particular group of people (based on whatever "faith" they cling to) is unacceptable. My worldview has it that two people in love (regardless of gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation) should be able to get married. Anyone, as long as they are a respectable, paying customer, should be able to buy a pizza at a "Christian" or "Muslim" owned pizza parlor--even if the owners don't like my/their "lifestyle."

So if Ted Cruz, Mike Pence, Mike Huckabee (or insert any other BS christian bigot) tells me I don't deserve to have any rights because I am LBGTQIA, that I should be excluded from society, to not have access to healthcare, to be barred from employment, to be denied housing...

Me calling someone like Cruz a bigot (which he absolutely is) makes me a bigot? Because honestly, I don't agree with Cruz, Pence, Huckabee's worldviews, but you don't see me supporting legislation that aims to strip away their rights.

So me calling someone a bigot, and you are implying I am just as much of a bigot, is really misguided.

Sorry, not trying to start a fight, but your entire premise is troubling. Or maybe I'm not fully understanding what you mean.

On "PC":

But conservatives have their own, nationalist version of PC, their own set of rules regulating speech, behavior and acceptable opinions. I call it “patriotic correctness.” It’s a full-throated, un-nuanced, uncompromising defense of American nationalism, history and cherry-picked ideals. Central to its thesis is the belief that nothing in America can’t be fixed by more patriotism enforced by public shaming, boycotts and policies to cut out foreign and non-American influences. (...)

Insufficient displays of patriotism among the patriotically correct can result in exclusion from public life and ruined careers. It also restricts honest criticism of failed public policies, diverting blame for things like the war in Iraq to those Americans who didn’t support the war effort enough.

"Bigot"

You don't agree with my worldview, so you're a bigot.

The irony is astounding.

So is this false equivalency?

For example, my worldview says that everyone should be protected equally under the law. My worldview says that blatant discrimination against one particular group of people (based on whatever "faith" they cling to) is unacceptable. My worldview has it that two people in love (regardless of gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation) should be able to get married. Anyone, as long as they are a respectable, paying customer, should be able to buy a pizza at a "Christian" or "Muslim" owned pizza parlor--even if the owners don't like my/their "lifestyle."

So if Ted Cruz, Mike Pence, Mike Huckabee (or insert any other BS christian bigot) tells me I don't deserve to have any rights because I am LBGTQIA, that I should be excluded from society, to not have access to healthcare, to be barred from employment, to be denied housing...

Me calling someone like Cruz a bigot (which he absolutely is) makes me a bigot? Because honestly, I don't agree with Cruz, Pence, Huckabee's worldviews, but you don't see me supporting legislation that aims to strip away their rights.

So me calling someone a bigot, and you are implying I am just as much of a bigot, is really misguided.

Sorry, not trying to start a fight, but your entire premise is troubling. Or maybe I'm not fully understanding what you mean.

No, it's been taken from it's original intent and turned into a "trump card" (nothing to do with donald) to win an argument. I see it used often by the 18-24 year old age group. For instance, a common thing I saw from people of that age group (specifically on social media) was to call anyone who voted republican on anything a "bigot."

I don't think bigot is that overused, but while we're on the topic I keep hearing different famous Black people criticizing Phil Jackson for referring to Lebron's friends as his posse.

I don't get it. I've never considered the word posse to be used exclusively for Black people. I've always seen it used for any group of people that are always hanging out with a famous or rich person. I see it as equal to entourage. I mean... Insane Clown Posse kind of tells you something there.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one mentioned this one yet:

"This is why Trump won."

Particularly absurd because there's really no parameters for appropriate use. People can flop this one out whenever they see something they don't agree with.

It's the new "If _______, then the terrorists have already won."

• Fire 1