Overused Catch Phrases to win arguments

Great, so a tactic isn't exclusive to one political faction. Is the preference then for it not to be ever called out when it's used?...because that'd be dumb, or hypocritical? I, for one, welcome our new fearmongering overlords :D

No, it's just that instead of debating the issues, both sides try to paint the other as using some issues as "fear mongering". Like....OMFG.....that is just horrible what those people are saying trying to create fear to get votes..when....if they would just look in the mirror, they probably did it two sentences ago.

Plz provide an example of the Left utilizing fear mongering as a standard political tactic. Take all the time you need.

I mean, I'd say the left goes about it in a different way. They just have a kinder, more "I'm concerned about you, we need you to do this" narrative.

Ex.: Hillary: "We can't afford to let the Republicans rip away the White House and destroy all the progress we've made."

Bernie: "This is a rigged economy that only works for the top one-tenth of one percent. Big money controls politics."

Both make an emotional appeal to people that incentivizes them to get behind them. It's less direct fearmongering, but both call people to action by promoting a worldview that is unfair or detrimental to them.

Great, so a tactic isn't exclusive to one political faction. Is the preference then for it not to be ever called out when it's used?...because that'd be dumb, or hypocritical? I, for one, welcome our new fearmongering overlords :D

No, it's just that instead of debating the issues, both sides try to paint the other as using some issues as "fear mongering". Like....OMFG.....that is just horrible what those people are saying trying to create fear to get votes..when....if they would just look in the mirror, they probably did it two sentences ago.

Plz provide an example of the Left utilizing fear mongering as a standard political tactic. Take all the time you need.

I mean, I'd say the left goes about it in a different way. They just have a kinder, more "I'm concerned about you, we need you to do this" narrative.

Ex.: Hillary: "We can't afford to let the Republicans rip away the White House and destroy all the progress we've made."

Bernie: "This is a rigged economy that only works for the top one-tenth of one percent. Big money controls politics."

Both make an emotional appeal to people that incentivizes them to get behind them. It's less direct fearmongering, but both call people to action by promoting a worldview that is unfair or detrimental to them.

The Hillary e.g is just basic political banter that goes back and forth between the parties.

Your Bernie e.g. is actually The Truth.

No, what I'm talking about is good ol fashioned fear mongering: fear of an outside or inside force/country that is going to invade us. Fear of biological contagion, fear of terrorists, etc. Fear mongering that leads to The People uniting and giving up rights in the name of national security, and ready to sign off on going to war. For 50+ years the USSR was just around the corner of invading us. Red scare, OMG! Didn't happen. Of course, the Nazi subs actually were just off our eastern coastlines a few times, but we never heard about that. USA corporate/banking investment with the Nazis was part of that silence.

But, fear mongering, it's standard Right Wing propaganda protocal, not so much, if at all, on the Left.

straw man. this is the only place ive seen the term used. and it popped up what a year ago??

"Straw Man"

I've only ever seen it used on here as well, and when I have seen it (not that it's a bad thing) I've seen LOMS and Knapp be the two that I've noticed use it the most. Could just be timing of viewing posts, however.

I find it annoying when people misuse the term strawman. LINK It's a tactic to shift the point of contention in an argument when the person throwing out the strawman apparently can't refute the main point of the argument.

I don't see the bolded as an example of fearmongering.

That being said arguing it wasn't really the purpose of this thread :P

I know it isn't a catchphrase but the 'No True Scotsman" fallacy really bothers me. I see it used on the board from time to time.

A real Husker fan wouldn't do that kind of thing.

I know not of this "True Scotsman".

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge." Person B: "But my uncle Angus likes sugar with his porridge." Person A: "Ah yes, but no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

I know it isn't a catchphrase but the 'No True Scotsman" fallacy really bothers me. I see it used on the board from time to time.

A real Husker fan wouldn't do that kind of thing.

I know not of this "True Scotsman".

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge." Person B: "But my uncle Angus likes sugar with his porridge." Person A: "Ah yes, but no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

Ha ha. Guess I hadn't seen this before. Not sure how it applies to politics.

27410bf20ce94e54c4c6d18c68b0b58b.jpg

When you have race come up constantly in issues where it really isn't an issue...that's fear mongering.

Example. Jesse Jackson was awesome at this. I remember a two kids got kicked out of school in Illinois for fighting in the stands at a football game. Good ol Jesse comes down there and goes through this huge protest and media frenzy claiming them being kicked out was racist. What a load of BS. They were kicked out because they were fighting. Them being black had nothing to do with it.

Al Gore's movie was a great spectacle of fear mongering. OMG...the world is going to come to an end.

And, even though there are problems with wealth distribution, the left has taken it to a level of pretty much convincing everyone that all their problems are caused by these evil rich 1%ers because of their greedy evil plot to keep everyone poor and starving.

All of these things are true problems no different than terrorism and immigration from the other side but, the political sides get their bases all worked up in a lather with fear mongering on these issues.

When you have race come up constantly in issues where it really isn't an issue...that's fear mongering.

Example. Jesse Jackson was awesome at this. I remember a two kids got kicked out of school in Illinois for fighting in the stands at a football game. Good ol Jesse comes down there and goes through this huge protest and media frenzy claiming them being kicked out was racist. What a load of BS. They were kicked out because they were fighting. Them being black had nothing to do with it.

Al Gore's movie was a great spectacle of fear mongering. OMG...the world is going to come to an end.

And, even though there are problems with wealth distribution, the left has taken it to a level of pretty much convincing everyone that all their problems are caused by these evil rich 1%ers because of their greedy evil plot to keep everyone poor and starving.

All of these things are true problems no different than terrorism and immigration from the other side but, the political sides get their bases all worked up in a lather with fear mongering on these issues.

Ok, I'll give ya the climate change card coming from the elite left--as their demographic is more receptive. However, those poised to profit off the carbon cap and trade and carbon tax scams are 1%ers of both camps.

I suppose you could make a stretch to say the race and 1% rhetoric are fear mongering at times, but most of the time, racism and $ inequality are real things happening in the real world. But I think it's fairly well documented that Jesse Jackson and guys like him have played the race card to sue various organizations soley for the purpose of extorting big $ for themselves. This is true.

There's an enormous consensus that climate change is a problem and yet little is done, particularly by the global leader that is the United States. Yes, there's a question of what the proper approach should be and whether certain industries 'deserve' to be 'punished'.

Income ienquality in America has grown significantly. It was not always like this, it doesn't have to be like this, and inequality has downsides. Again, there's little done about this nor very much political will to do so. Money in politics has been troubling for some time, and it's heading even further down that direction with recent developments such as Citizens United (2010) and the rise of Super PACs. Again, there's little momentum to counter it.

On the flip side, fear over safety has yielded to the rapacious demands of a security apparatus whose acceleration far outstrips the development of legal frameworks to contain it. It's given us the very real Patriot Act and the even more real, near-unanimously supported (in Congress) invasion of Iraq.

That fear-mongering rhetoric has only expanded in recent years to horrifying degrees, where *millions* of actual Americans enthusiastically support men who would bar entry into our country on the basis of religion.

This is not equivalence. These aren't the only scorn-worthy examples, to be sure. I don't know much about Jesse Jackson and I'll take your criticisms of him at face value. But talk to me when his damaging rhetoric becomes damaging reality against which there is little momentum.

There's an enormous consensus that climate change is a problem and yet little is done, particularly by the global leader that is the United States. Yes, there's a question of what the proper approach should be and whether certain industries 'deserve' to be 'punished'.

Income ienquality in America has grown significantly. It was not always like this, it doesn't have to be like this, and inequality has downsides. Again, there's little done about this nor very much political will to do so. Money in politics has been troubling for some time, and it's heading even further down that direction with recent developments such as Citizens United (2010) and the rise of Super PACs. Again, there's little momentum to counter it.

On the flip side, fear over safety has yielded to the rapacious demands of a security apparatus whose acceleration far outstrips the development of legal frameworks to contain it. It's given us the very real Patriot Act and the even more real, near-unanimously supported (in Congress) invasion of Iraq.

That fear-mongering rhetoric has only expanded in recent years to horrifying degrees, where *millions* of actual Americans enthusiastically support men who would bar entry into our country on the basis of religion.

This is not equivalence. These aren't the only scorn-worthy examples, to be sure. I don't know much about Jesse Jackson and I'll take your criticisms of him at face value. But talk to me when his damaging rhetoric becomes damaging reality against which there is little momentum.

Good post. Yeah, Jesse has done some corrupt stuff in the name of racism.

As to climate change, I agree that mankind has effected some climate change, though not sure to what degree. What to do about it, like you say, remains fairly confusing. The whole cap and trade and carbon tax thing are big time $ scams, IMO.

I'm more concerned about outright consumerist pollution--i.e., TRASH:

920x920.jpg

If you don't think there is fear used by liberals/Democrats then well.....

I'll bring up a topic that I can't stand either side of.

Fear is used on both sides of the abortion argument.

A) One side uses fear about millions of babies being slaughtered and shows pictures of mutilated babies....bla bla bla.....

B) The other side uses fear about how Republicans want to take all of women's health care away and they will be left stranded....bla bla bla.....

I think the reason you think you hear it more now from the right is because they aren't in power. Go back to when Bush was in office. Heck, we had movies coming out implying he had a part in planning 9/11. That isn't using "fear"?

Fear fear fear.....It sure does get votes though.

• Fire 1

The whole cap and trade and carbon tax thing are big time $ scams, IMO.

NEWS ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

The world is NOT going to come to an end.

Corn and I have found something we agree on.

tumblr_ne2xgj19sh1rnhnqfo1_500.gif

Well, one of the things they never mention on ye ol MSM, is that we are supposedly closer to the sun in our current orbital location AND: sun flares, yada yada. You never hear the opposing view from opposing scientists, either, so....