Donald Trump vs. The Pope

I mostly meant that it's disgraceful for a religious leader to question a person’s faith.

If religious leaders can't, who can?

Can they make a judgement? Yes, particularly if they have a relationship with that person.

Should they be talking about that to the media? That seems like something that should be avoided.

Should they be making that judgement about someone (I'm assuming) they've never meant and basing that on one comment? Seems that that's quite a stretch to base a judgement like that on that criteria.

Seems like the reactions of Pope Francis's comments were a little unfair to him as well.

"[Francis] is not saying, 'Trump is not a Christian and he's going to hell,'" (Notre Dame prefessor R. Scott) Appleby said. "He is saying: 'That does not strike me as a Christian response to anyone who would say that.'"

Vincent Miller, professor of Catholic theology and culture at the University of Dayton, agreed. Miller said the pope was responding to a specific categorization of Trump's views from a reporter aboard the papal airliner. If you read the transcript from the exchange, Miller said, it's clear the pope thinks he's reacting to a set of views as framed by a reporter.

/shrug. I think this is a fair analysis, and a little surprised that the negative response was so loud that something like this was needed. I'm also a little surprised by how much anti-Catholic hostility there seems to be, but far be it from me to jump through hoops defending an institution whose idea of radical new-age progressivism is making infrequent, extremely narrow allowances for the use of contraception.

Seems like the reactions of Pope Francis's comments were a little unfair to him as well.

"[Francis] is not saying, 'Trump is not a Christian and he's going to hell,'" (Notre Dame prefessor R. Scott) Appleby said. "He is saying: 'That does not strike me as a Christian response to anyone who would say that.'"

Vincent Miller, professor of Catholic theology and culture at the University of Dayton, agreed. Miller said the pope was responding to a specific categorization of Trump's views from a reporter aboard the papal airliner. If you read the transcript from the exchange, Miller said, it's clear the pope thinks he's reacting to a set of views as framed by a reporter.

/shrug. I think this is a fair analysis, and a little surprised that the negative response was so loud that something like this was needed. I'm also a little surprised by how much anti-Catholic hostility there seems to be, but far be it from me to jump through hoops defending an institution whose idea of radical new-age progressivism is making infrequent, extremely narrow allowances for the use of contraception.

Not at all actually, their teaching was written in the 60s and still stands today. Not sure the Popes direct quote but I know he said abortion is "an absolute evil." What the Pope was referring to was that women should do their best to not get pregnant in Latin American countries that have this virus. So that does not make allowances for the use of contraception, the media is trying to make it sound like when the Pope says something out of context, they say the whole Church's viewpoint has changed, which is false.

Back to Trump vs pope: on thurday Trump called the Pope a great guy, he blamed the media for acting like the Pope called him out. Trump put that stuff to the side, which he isn't known for doing, but he did it so props to him. The Pope in my eyes wasn't given the full story, also media today confuses stories like this one, I think they made the Popes comment sound much harsher then what was intended.

The Pope and Trump both care mostly about power.

Funny. You stated that almost like a fact rather than an opinion.

Much like the drivel the Pope talks about God is stated as fact?

Drivel? Do you mean the worship of God in general? Or something the Pope said about God?

Drivel? Do you mean the worship of God in general? Or something the Pope said about God?

Yes.

Not at all actually, their teaching was written in the 60s and still stands today. Not sure the Popes direct quote but I know he said abortion is "an absolute evil." What the Pope was referring to was that women should do their best to not get pregnant in Latin American countries that have this virus. So that does not make allowances for the use of contraception, the media is trying to make it sound like when the Pope says something out of context, they say the whole Church's viewpoint has changed, which is false.

Wait, not at all? Really? Woah.

And yet here you are sharing your wealth of knowledge in a thread about the Pope. #luckyus

And yet here you are sharing your wealth of knowledge in a thread about the Pope. #luckyus

And I am not even charging admission. #luckyyouindeed

Moe, I take it you're not a Catholic. Please don't be an ass to those who might be.

You'll find a lot of civil, good discussions even in the P&R forum here between people who come from very different places and disagree strongly, but have great personal respect for each other. Let's try for that.

• Fire 3

Moe, I take it you're not a Catholic. Please don't be an ass to those who might be.

You'll find a lot of civil, good discussions even in the P&R forum here between people who come from very different places and disagree strongly, but have great personal respect for each other. Let's try for that.

I am not attacking Catholicism. I am saying that the human concept of God...all of them...is fictional. Is that view not allowed here?

And I would like to add, I have no problem with Christianity or any religion until they feel they need to push their religion into politics or any other area it doesn't belong. The Pope doesn't need to try and manipulate Americans with his rhetoric which is exactly what he is trying to do.