Nebraska announces two additions to the 2016 staff

knapplc

Ryan Leaf was clearly the #1/2 QB going into that draft. Which ever team was drafting second was taking him or Manning, there was no debate on that at the time. Hindsight it was a mistake, at the time it was a no brainer. I don't fault Devaney for that, nor the drafting of Bradford. Bradford suffered more from the lack of a good line in St L and a horrible coach in Philly. Get him a good line and a good coach, he'll be an above average QB in the L.

Not faulting him at all is silly - he was the guy in charge in St. Louis. His draft picks, his coaching hires. Injuries and busts happen in football but putting together a team, from the coach on down, that only wins three games in two seasons is a pretty big black eye. Ask a lot of St. Louis fans what they think about Devaney and it won't be pretty.

I'm really not trying to rail on him, even though I know that's how it is coming across. I just think people should keep in mind that while he has a wealth of experience he hasn't had a rosy career. I hope like hell he does a great job at Nebraska but I don't by any means think this was some "great" hire. I'd rather just wait and see what he does.

Not faulting him at all is silly - he was the guy in charge in St. Louis. His draft picks, his coaching hires. Injuries and busts happen in football but putting together a team, from the coach on down, that only wins three games in two seasons is a pretty big black eye. Ask a lot of St. Louis fans what they think about Devaney and it won't be pretty.

I'm really not trying to rail on him, even though I know that's how it is coming across. I just think people should keep in mind that he hasn't had a rosy career. I hope like hell he does a great job at Nebraska but I don't by any means think this was some "great" hire. I'd rather just wait and see what he does.

I think the decision to have a position like this available is a "great" idea. But like you, I'll hold off on how great the actual hire may, or may not be. In his defense though, a guy would be hard pressed to find someone with a 30 year career as a GM/scout who didn't have some F-ups on his resume....

Ryan Leaf was clearly the #1/2 QB going into that draft. Which ever team was drafting second was taking him or Manning, there was no debate on that at the time. Hindsight it was a mistake, at the time it was a no brainer. I don't fault Devaney for that, nor the drafting of Bradford. Bradford suffered more from the lack of a good line in St L and a horrible coach in Philly. Get him a good line and a good coach, he'll be an above average QB in the L.

Rumor is that our new 49ers coach Chip Kelly STILL wants Sam Bradford.

(that would be the same Chip Kelly some Husker fans would have called a Splash Hire)

I'm really not trying to rail on him, even though I know that's how it is coming across. I just think people should keep in mind that he hasn't had a rosy career. I hope like hell he does a great job at Nebraska but I don't by any means think this was some "great" hire. I'd rather just wait and see what he does.

I think the decision to have a position like this available is a "great" idea. But like you, I'll hold off on how great the actual hire may, or may not be. In his defense though, a guy would be hard pressed to find someone with a 30 year career as a GM/scout who didn't have some F-ups on his resume....

That's a fair point - I think I like the way you put it in that I think it's "great" we have a position like this but I don't know if it's a "great" hire.

Rumor is that our new 49ers coach Chip Kelly STILL wants Sam Bradford.

(that would be the same Chip Kelly some Husker fans would have called a Splash Hire)

Chip Kelly would be a splash hire at Nebraska and we wouldn't have to worry about him bringing Bradford