*****Official College Football Thread - 2016 Edition*****

GSG

Jesus Christ that looks awful! The NCAA really doesn't care anymore.

Time to pull the plug on the bowl system and its money-grabbing commissioners. If poor ratings wasn't a sign, this sure as hell is.

Allow me to respond for casual fan who has no idea how the bowls work, ahem...

"I like the bowls, the more the merrier! More football is automatically better, nevermind they will have to feature 4-8 teams at some point. Good for the players who get an extra game, blah blah blah."

• Fire 1

First FBS game is this Friday in Sydney, Australia between Cal and Hawaii:

Cal Had To Ship Their Own Goalposts To Australia

Because Australia doesn’t have much of a football culture to speak of, none of Cal’s potential practice fields had goalposts. Matthiesen had to figure out a way to bring them himself:

So Matthiesen and his team of interns recorded themselves assembling goalposts, which they then broke apart and put on a freighter. Three weeks later, after the package arrived in Sydney Harbour in mid-June, New South Wales’ American football club had the first goalposts in its 15-year history.

Matthiesen is Cal's equipment manager. He's the youngest in major college football at 27 years old.

Deadspin 25: Everybody Duck, Deshaun Watson's Best Receiver Is Back

Deadspin 25: Oregon Needs Defense; Brady Hoke Is (Apparently) The Answer

Can They Make The Playoff?

Probably not. I’m not saying there doesn’t exist a universe in which this team uses its newcomer quarterback and marches to an unexpected Pac-12 title and playoff consideration, it’s just not this one. The Ducks have far too much to answer for on defense after last year’s pathetic performances; while the offense will likely run up 40 points without breaking a sweat, the onus will once again be on the defense to prevent the Pac-12's other explosive attacks from dropping 62 points on their ass. While things—“things” here meaning defensive production, not player safety—will probably improve under Hoke, I don’t foresee this unit turning it all around in one year and downing Nebraska, Washington, Stanford, or USC.

Because Australia doesn’t have much of a football culture to speak of, none of Cal’s potential practice fields had goalposts...

I am very surprised to hear this, because Australia is one of the very few countries that actually play American Football (called Gridiron there) outside of the USA. Obviously it isn't as popular as other forms of football there, but there has been enough of it played there to have a regulation field somewhere.

In Australia they literally play every form of football known to man. Australian-Rules Football(their national sport), International Rules Football, Gaelic Football, Rugby Union Football , Rugby League Football, Rugby Sevens Football, Association Football(or soccer, as we call it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they also picked up Canadian Football. To say they don't really have a "football culture" is pretty ignorant, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_in_Australia

• Fire 1