What does this picture show from the Nebraska Boy's State High School BB Championships?

The vast majority of the people I know don't casually say racist things like this Benjamin character. 17 or so years of texting, I've never gotten one remotely like that.

When people say not everyone does this, they're not necessarily bragging about being "perfect" human beings, but perhaps they're just genuinely bewildered you find this type of behavior to be so normal.

There's a whole wide world out there.

So maybe stop trying to make everything personal and take people's viewpoints for what they're worth.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Your personal anecdote is insignificant and contributes nothing to the questions that were raised, and you misrepresent the experiences/viewpoints expressed.

"WELL! I NEVER!..."

LMAO, Are you getting the vapors?

Actually, this is one of the few occasions when anecdotes are valid, since the accusation was that NO ONE has NOT used racist language. That is what The Dude is commenting on. All one needs to refute that is anecdotal evidence.

Wrong and wrong.

His anecdote was completely unnecessary and superfluous and it's narrow elaboration in full context can seem to reek of pomposity.

The Dude had already refuted the "everyone" accusation earlier in the thread, as had others. And most everyone seemed to accept that the original accusation was possibly a generalized overstatement or perhaps an incorrect choice of words to represent the author's intent. And the originator of the "everyone" accusation himself subsequently stepped back a bit from it by clarifying the actual act he was referring to was a generalized one and not necessarily an exact replica of what occurred in the OP. Thus the original specific accusation that The Dude inferred, and perhaps inferred incorrectly, is moot.

Furthermore, The Dude's refutation was countered with the argument that perhaps he's not being fully honest with us and/or himself, so if that was the case, why should his anecdote be expected to be fully truthful?

Further-Furthermore, The Dude demonstrates hypocrisy by responding to the "liar" personal attack, with a personal attack of his own calling someone's parents "idiots", then later seems to smugly shame others for making things personal. It could argued that calling someone on this board a liar is a lesser evil than going after someone's family member(s) who are possibly an innocent party and cannot defend themselves here.

And then he misrepresents/mischaracterizes the entire discussion/disagreement that by saying that some find a specific behavior/act as "normal".

THAT is what The Dude was [irrelevantly] commenting on.

The Dude's comments are often irreverent, sometimes inelegant, almost unfailingly intelligent, but (in my experience) pretty much never irrelevant.

Anyone can have an off day. No shame in that.

Leading by example is an odd way of showing that.

Is anyone shocked that you hate jokes...and probably laughter.

This belongs in the sick burn thread. Well done.

Yep. Not having a sense of humor is what I'm known for.

You do realize that nobody said that you have no sense of humor, right?

I realize nobody said "you have no sense of humor."

What do you call black man in outer space?

If you finish this joke...it will apparently be LITERALLY the first time that about a billion posters have ever heard/read something like this...and they won't laugh or giggle.

LITERALLY no one posted that they hadn't heard a racist joke before.

The Dude demonstrates hypocrisy by responding to the "liar" personal attack, with a personal attack of his own calling someone's parents "idiots",

"God bless him, his parents were idiots" is a figure of speech, not to be taken in a literal sense. With this phrase I was in fact giving this Benjamin character the benefit of the doubt that he's probably not a rotten person, but a product of his environment.

It has less rhetorical impact when I have to explain it.