Which is a more likely explanation for creation?

Which is a more likely explanation for creation?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess I just don't have enough faith to believe in the religion of randomness.

It would take more than faith. It would also require humility, a virtue that many people lack.

(Not necessarily referring to you NUance... :P )

It would also require *less* homily. A virtuous thing that even more people lack. :lol:

Knapp, the problem with that approach is that you are allowing for there being multiple or different gods based on how people have chosen to describe him. When you approach it from there being only one true God who created everything, you can more easily see that all those different names and multiple versions are simply human beings attempts at describing the same, one thing.

I don't happen to believe that what I believe in is absolutely correct or the only way. And, I don't believe that those who believe differently are inherently wrong. But the one thing that I know, from deep in my being, is that there is one God, one creator. My Catholic Christian faith may very well not have him nailed down (no pun intended) perfectly. I realize my more specific beliefs are the result of where and when I was born and where and how I was raised. That does not force me (unlike you) to demand that one way has to be right and all others wrong. I think that one all-powerful creator would be more than capable of dealing with an infinite number of people's versions of him. So, my and other Christians way to salvation may be the belief that Jesus Christ died for us and our religions may say that is the only way. Personally, I think there may be other ways, especially for people who have never been exposed to that knowledge. I sure am not going solely rely on my lowly human brain to limit the possibilities of an all powerful omniscient being. Maybe all we can do is the best we can do and that would allow for the Christian way being correct for Christians and the Hindu way being correct for Hindus, etc. What if they're all right?

JJ this is very much the way I feel on this subject. Thanks for sharing.

• Fire 1

Just because you think the thought of a God is totally hogwash, you are still willing to believe in a Big Bang from matter that always has existed. That matter had no "beginning".

Because there's gathering evidence that it's true.

http://www.space.com/20710-stephen-hawking-god-big-bang.html

That what's true?

So the poll question should read, "Is it more likely a supernatural entity created millions of universes" or "millions of universes popped up out of nothing for no reason?"

I like Hawking, but describing alternate theories isn't "proof' that God isn't needed.

The questions in the poll are both "unlikely" if we want to be honest. Humans seek for reasons why things happened, it's what we do. No matter what option you sided with, if we walked it all back the the very beginning, whether that be 13.8 billion years or "1 bazillion, million, trillion, 00000000 to the 100th power years" we would get the very first step and say "why?"

We are all overgrown 3-year-olds, always with the questions.....

• Fire 3

Just because you think the thought of a God is totally hogwash, you are still willing to believe in a Big Bang from matter that always has existed. That matter had no "beginning".

That what's true?

So the poll question should read, "Is it more likely a supernatural entity created millions of universes" or "millions of universes popped up out of nothing for no reason?"

I like Hawking, but describing alternate theories isn't "proof' that God isn't needed.

The questions in the poll are both "unlikely" if we want to be honest. Humans seek for reasons why things happened, it's what we do. No matter what option you sided with, if we walked it all back the the very beginning, whether that be 13.8 billion years or "1 bazillion, million, trillion, 00000000 to the 100th power years" we would get the very first step and say "why?"

We are all overgrown 3-year-olds, always with the questions.....

True....

And, no matter what your personal belief is, at that very point of that very first step of creating the universe.......all sides to the argument have to believe in something that their mind can not comprehend.

That what's true?

That the universe sprang into being without the need for a god.

Where did the first molecules come from that created the Big Bang and when were they created?

Where did the first molecules come from that created the Big Bang and when were they created?

Humans didn't know where the first molecules came from, so they created a god to explain it.

Just like they didn't know what lightning was, or earthquakes were, or the sun is.

Humans didn't know where the first molecules came from, so they created a god to explain it.

Just like they didn't know what lightning was, or earthquakes were, or the sun is.

Wait a minute. I thought we were close to proving there is no need for believing God created the earth.

Well....this needs to be answered before that happens and I don't think we are anywhere close to coming up with some scientific proof of where the very first molecule of matter came from......without a higher power.

We're in the same place as we were before knowing what lightning is. We can see the path laid out - as in the Hawking article I linked - we're just not all the way down it yet.

What we do have is the experience of walking this path with other unknown things, like earthquakes or lightning. I suppose you can claim that this is different because it's a bigger question, but I'd argue we're as close to finding the answer of the Big Bang as we were to grasping lightning when Zeus was still a thing.

We're in the same place as we were before knowing what lightning is. We can see the path laid out - as in the Hawking article I linked - we're just not all the way down it yet.

What we do have is the experience of walking this path with other unknown things, like earthquakes or lightning. I suppose you can claim that this is different because it's a bigger question, but I'd argue we're as close to finding the answer of the Big Bang as we were to grasping lightning when Zeus was still a thing.

Asking where lightning comes from is totally different than where the first molecules of matter came from when nothing exists before those molecules. The lightning has forces around it that are explained through science. If there are no forces around to create the molecules, then it is beyond comprehension of how those molecules were created.

Once those molecules are there....sure....we can some day maybe know everything that happened after that through science.

PS.....your link didn't work for me.

Wait a minute. I thought we were close to proving there is no need for believing God created the earth.

Well....this needs to be answered before that happens and I don't think we are anywhere close to coming up with some scientific proof of where the very first molecule of matter came from......without a higher power.

And once we figure out where the first molecule came from, we will still be faced with the question, "what caused that?" It's a neverending cycle. And I don't mean to say that we should just break down and say, "God did it!" Personally, I am very curious to see "how" God did it. And whether you believe or not, we all should want to follow that same trail.