RIP Satellite camps - Back from the Dead (4/28/16)

What??? I thought he was against them?

OH.....I get it now. It screwed up something good he had going on and he didn't realize it was going to.

It didn't screw up Meyer's thing. He's saying that kids are hurt by the fact that lower level schools can't come to camps AT OSU and pick off kids who aren't going to get an OSU offer.

And, he's absolutely right. It's just one of many unintended consequences from this rule.

Personally, I've always felt that these sorts of camps were of limited real value, realistically. Yes, there will be the occasionally connection that leads a kid to a program he otherwise wouldn't have heard of, but that's certainly an exception. I think camps for HS coaches would be a better way to create and foster relationships in the recruiting world. That said, there's now so much money sloshing around, that even limited value opportunities aren't creating much opportunity cost by pursuing them.

• Fire 1

I disagree with Meyer on the texting rule, but I understand his point.

The simplest way to handle this, and to actually achieve some level of enforcement, is to allow players (and families) to use a "do not contact" list. That way, if someone breaks the rule, then the actually harmed party (the player) will be in a position to report it. But, players who want the contact can have it, rather these these ridiculous, not so oblique, "shout outs" on social media.

Meyer probably loves the thought of keeping it limited to social media messaging because he has a giant recruiting apperatus that can turn those robo-messages out without much trouble.

• Fire 2

NCAA Closes Imaginary Set of Flood Gates with Camp Ban While Opening A Real One

The NCAA: Protector of Student-Athletes Everywhere. At least that’s the tagline they want you to swallow hook, line and sinker while passing a ban on college football satellite camps.

For those of you just tuning in, Big Ten schools such as Michigan and Nebraska were setting up shop in SEC and ACC country. This didn’t sit well with either conference and it didn’t help that Jim Harbaugh used every streamer and firework to make sure the Maize and Blue’s camps were an opportunity athletes couldn’t afford to pass up.

The Pac-12, Big 12, Sun Belt and Mountain West conferences added their votes to the aforementioned duo, hammering the final nail in the coffin by a 10-5 vote.

ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that the NCAA’s support of the ban was because of “the colleges’ inability to control their coaches on the recruiting trails. Basically, it would turn summer recruiting into the wild, wild West by allowing all of these staffs to basically go all over the country, specifically into the south to set up these camps.”

Let’s face it, when the SEC shakes its head in disapproval, the people at the head of the table take notice and when it can get a Power Five conference like the ACC to back it up, two heavyweights can’t be ignored.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ncaa-closes-imaginary-set-flood-gates-camp-ban-while-opening-real-one#sthash.sEdEBEkC.dpuf

• Fire 1

NCAA Closes Imaginary Set of Flood Gates with Camp Ban While Opening A Real One

The NCAA: Protector of Student-Athletes Everywhere. At least thats the tagline they want you to swallow hook, line and sinker while passing a ban on college football satellite camps.

For those of you just tuning in, Big Ten schools such as Michigan and Nebraska were setting up shop in SEC and ACC country. This didnt sit well with either conference and it didnt help that Jim Harbaugh used every streamer and firework to make sure the Maize and Blues camps were an opportunity athletes couldnt afford to pass up.

The Pac-12, Big 12, Sun Belt and Mountain West conferences added their votes to the aforementioned duo, hammering the final nail in the coffin by a 10-5 vote.

ESPNs Brett McMurphy reported that the NCAAs support of the ban was because of the colleges inability to control their coaches on the recruiting trails. Basically, it would turn summer recruiting into the wild, wild West by allowing all of these staffs to basically go all over the country, specifically into the south to set up these camps.

Lets face it, when the SEC shakes its head in disapproval, the people at the head of the table take notice and when it can get a Power Five conference like the ACC to back it up, two heavyweights cant be ignored.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ncaa-closes-imaginary-set-flood-gates-camp-ban-while-opening-real-one#sthash.sEdEBEkC.dpuf

Mike Greenberg's rant today on ESPN's Mike & Mike in the morning was epic. They blatantly called out the SEC and NCAA for hipocracy and it was amazing. Go get 'em Mikes!!!!

• Fire 1

Mike Leach is still awesome.

“It appears that the selfish interests of a few schools and conferences prevailed over the best interests of future potential student-athletes,” WSU coach Mike Leach said in a text message to the Seattle Times. “The mission of universities and athletic programs should be to provide future student-athletes with exposure to opportunities, not to limit them. It appears to me that some universities and conferences are willing to sacrifice the interests of potential student-athletes for no better reasons than to selfishly monopolize their recruiting bases.
“I will be fascinated to hear any legitimate reasoning behind this ruling. We need to rethink this if we are actually what we say we are.”

Mike Leach for POTUS (half serious here). There are a few candidates still in the POTUS running that are getting a ton of traction by simply calling a few spades spades (who's going to miss something in what I said there lol). Mike does it often. He's a dying breed; hopefully that will reverse soon.

• Fire 2

Mike Leach is still awesome.

“It appears that the selfish interests of a few schools and conferences prevailed over the best interests of future potential student-athletes,” WSU coach Mike Leach said in a text message to the Seattle Times. “The mission of universities and athletic programs should be to provide future student-athletes with exposure to opportunities, not to limit them. It appears to me that some universities and conferences are willing to sacrifice the interests of potential student-athletes for no better reasons than to selfishly monopolize their recruiting bases.
“I will be fascinated to hear any legitimate reasoning behind this ruling. We need to rethink this if we are actually what we say we are.”

Mike Leach for POTUS (half serious here). There are a few candidates still in the POTUS running that are getting a ton of traction by simply calling a few spades spades (who's going to miss something in what I said there lol). Mike does it often. He's a dying breed; hopefully that will reverse soon.

Leach has always been one of my favorite dudes.

• Fire 1

I can see why the ACC, SEC, and Sun Belt voted against them. They are protecting their turf. But why not sure what happened with the Pac12, Big12, and MWC.

MWC should definitely be pro satellite camps. I have no clue what the hell they are doing.

Both the Pac12 and Big12 have some schools falling on both sides on the fence. For the Pac12, I could see the 4 Cali schools not wanting them. But there are still 8 other schools that I think would benefit from them. In the Big 12, the 4 Texas schools would be against them, and maybe Oklahoma. But the other 5 should be all for them (I am pretty sure that Okie St was running some in Texas).

That’s a real concern for non-Power Five conferences, whose recruits and coaches benefitted from the exposure of satellite camps. So why would the Sun Belt not be on board with helping itself out?

The sad reality is, the Sun Belt can’t afford to ruffle SEC feathers. After all, that’s where its bread gets buttered. Those non-conference blowouts that fans complain about are helping fund programs like South Alabama. They need those annual paychecks to come in, and as we know, the SEC did plenty to voice its opposition of the camps.

The Sun Belt isn’t just sprinkling in a few games against the SEC in the next few years. Every single Sun Belt team has at least one SEC opponent on its schedule in the next two years except for Georgia State. But don’t worry about Georgia State. The program still has five future meetings with SEC teams, which is more than any other Sun Belt school.

http://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/sunbelt-against-satellite-camp-ban/

• Fire 1

The Sun Belt Conference was one of two in the Group of Five that voted to ban satellite football camps in results that were released on Friday.

Asked why the conference did so, a spokesman sent this response, crediting it to commissioner Karl Benson:

“The Sun Belt voted on a controversial issue to eliminate these satellite camps. Six of ten FBS conferences voted to eliminate these camps. The pros and cons of these camps can be debated, and I am sure there will continue to be discussion on this matter, but for now the majority has spoken and it’s time to move on – and Sun Belt football programs will continue to get better with or without these camps.”

The question of why the conference voted against the camps wasn’t answered.

Georgia State football coach Trent Miles said on Friday that he didn’t like the NCAA’s decision. Miles has hosted three camps that included staffs of schools in the “power” conferences: Penn State twice and Nebraska. He said he had more planned, but “it doesn’t matter now.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/sun-belt-doesnt-explain-why-it-voted-against-satel/nq3Xt/

What the hell is that answer?

The Sun Belt Conference was one of two in the Group of Five that voted to ban satellite football camps in results that were released on Friday.

Asked why the conference did so, a spokesman sent this response, crediting it to commissioner Karl Benson:

“The Sun Belt voted on a controversial issue to eliminate these satellite camps. Six of ten FBS conferences voted to eliminate these camps. The pros and cons of these camps can be debated, and I am sure there will continue to be discussion on this matter, but for now the majority has spoken and it’s time to move on – and Sun Belt football programs will continue to get better with or without these camps.”

The question of why the conference voted against the camps wasn’t answered.

Georgia State football coach Trent Miles said on Friday that he didn’t like the NCAA’s decision. Miles has hosted three camps that included staffs of schools in the “power” conferences: Penn State twice and Nebraska. He said he had more planned, but “it doesn’t matter now.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/sun-belt-doesnt-explain-why-it-voted-against-satel/nq3Xt/

What the hell is that answer?

Wow...that dude needs to run for President. He typed a lot of words without saying anything.

• Fire 1

"Time to move on" is what people say when they won a battle they don't deserve to win and they may lose if the battle flares up again.

Aside..."Have a conversation about...." is what people say when they want media to help them to pound on their opposition to win some argument a looonnng time down the road but win the image war in the meantime.

• Fire 2

Here was Harbaugh's response on Freeze's comments last week:

"You've got a guy sitting in a big house, making $5 million a year, saying he does not want to sacrifice his time. That is not a kindred spirit to me. What most of these coaches are saying is they don't want to work harder."

Harbaugh didn't just come after Freeze, he straight out called him lazy. Honestly, at this point we'd say Harbaugh is like a "WWE heel," but the thing is, he's more than that. This isn't scripted drama, this is real life. And Harbaugh ain't backing down from anyone.

That included not just Freeze, but also the SEC and ACC:

"It seems to be outrage by the SEC and ACC," Harbaugh says. "They power-brokered that out ... the image that comes to my mind is guys in a back room smoking cigars, doing what they perceive is best for them. It certainly isn't the best thing for the youngsters. It's not the best thing for the student-athletes."

From there Harbaugh goes on and on, but those are the two money quotes. And whether you like Harbaugh or not, he is 100 percent right about the satellite camp ban.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/michigan-wolverines-ole-miss-rebels-jim-harbaugh-hugh-freeze-direct-shot-satellite-camps-041216

Yes.

• Fire 2