RIP Satellite camps - Back from the Dead (4/28/16)

So does that mean Iowa can't even do their annual spring practice in des moines after this year?

Nope, this is only about the recruiting camps. It doesn't stop Harbaugh from doing spring practice in Florida again either.
okay that makes sense

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said he had hoped satellite camps would be evaluated among other recruiting and time-demand issues, not as a standalone topic.

"But the football oversight committee recommended to the council and the council is supporting action now," he said. "It is what it is. We made our case for holistic vs. ad hoc. You have to accept it. That's part of the (system) we signed on for. No reaction beyond that. You always would like to win rather than to lose a vote — I don't care whether it's in a court or legislature or an assembly of people. You go with the system that's in place, and so I support that, respect that and move on. (Coaches will) pick up recruitment; satellite camps are off the table, but presumably everything else is on it. "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/04/08/ncaa-puts-end-satellite-camps/82794868/

• Fire 1

So does that mean Iowa can't even do their annual spring practice in des moines after this year?

Nope, this is only about the recruiting camps. It doesn't stop Harbaugh from doing spring practice in Florida again either.

OK....you are going to have to explain that to me.

So, we can't do satellite camps but we can go to California and hold spring training?

So, we can't do satellite camps but we can go to California and hold spring training?

you would have to ask the ncaa to explain that....the logic escapes us mere mortals.

What this basically tells me is that the NCAA believes programs/conferences basically own the recruiting area around them. So, anything that makes it easier for a program to reach out and get to know kids in areas not right around them...well....that just needs to get stopped right now.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. But, this accomplishes two things.

1) Hurts competitiveness of schools and conferences not in recruiting hot beds.

2) Hurts the kids who can't afford to travel all over the country on their own dime.

I honestly fail to see how the NCAA views this as a good decision. What possible reasoning could they even dream up that this isn't favoritism towards certain programs and holds back many student athletes?

Even in their demented/warmed/corrupted minds, they have to have some form of reasoning that they are going to put out to the public. I can't wait to see what they make up.

• Fire 4

Big difference. One is working with recruits off your campus. The other is working with your players off your campus.

Big difference. One is working with recruits off your campus. The other is working with your players off your campus.

Who gives a flying rats azz? It's clear that both are for recruiting and so recruits in that area of the country can come see the program and meet the coaches.