Spring Game to be Offense vs. Defense Format

I would rather they just played it like a real game. Maybe just do the running clock for the second half. The lame drills that Bo had them do were stupid too.

I watched that one on TV; and I thought the drills were awesome. Probably because the camera was right there. I could see how it would be lame in person though...

The crowd got more into those drills than for the rest of the "game." If I remember correctly, that was when Kenny Bell and Bo were throwing at the goalpost, and they had linemen catching punts. They also did the Oklahoma Drill, right? The crowd loved all that.

In my view, the spring 'game' is and ought to and always remain a 'game' with rules, action, blocking, tackling, passing, running, kicking, receiving, fumbles and interceptions, time outs, time clocks, chain gangs, etc. There might be ways to shave a little overall time off the 'game' if that is important (such as the weather happens to suck for the fans). However, the more games a football player plays in, the better he should become in playing football games. Practice, practice, practice. You play how you practice! We've heard all the cliches and truisms, etc.

This is a great opportunity for the scout teamers and younger guys to experience big game crowds, noise, distractions, etc. They are usually on TV and so on. Family, close friends, etc can most assuredly come to see them play. I see no reason to dilute or limit the benefit of playing, experience, etc. In fact, maximize it. Take advantage of the chance to play an extra game. We all read from the sports writers to the coaches to many fans that playing one more game (Foster Farms bowl) and more practice time will be good to make the team better. I agree with all of this.

While modifying the format may work, I think the fans who are actually paying real money to come in and watch the Huskers play a football game on a sunny warm spring day rightfully expect REAL football. I thought 'drills' in the middle of the game were nonsensical. Now, if Pelini wanted to let the team break up into stations and give the fans some time to watch various drills, skill development or some 'just for fun' amateur kicks or the Huskers' very own "Punt, Pass and Kick" competition, that would be fine. Hell, that would be a great thing to do on the 'fan day' in the fall. Make an afternoon of it. Make a little bit more fan involvement as well.

For me, I say the Annual Red White Spring Game ought to be a real game of football. Especially when the team finished 6-7 and we haven't won a title is so long the kids going to said game weren't alive when it last happened. We NEED the practice in playing better football games!

In my view, the spring 'game' is and ought to and always remain a 'game' with rules, action, blocking, tackling, passing, running, kicking, receiving, fumbles and interceptions, time outs, time clocks, chain gangs, etc.

And this year's spring game will have all of those. So what's the problem?

• Fire 1