Rate Patrick O'Brien's performance

There is abso

I think POB looks fine, but he lifts his back foot/leg off the ground when he throws, which seems odd.

I think POB played a lot of baseball in his younger days before focusing on football. Most baseball players/pitchers follow through with their back foot after throwing the ball. It's probably just a holdover from playing baseball.

Wouldn't the QB Whisperer Langs get him to change that already, or you think he's ok with it?

It's just him following through. If it helps POB get his legs into his throws, it's not a huge deal.

Okie dokie, then. I just hadn't seen the motion so pronounced before in a QB.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a QB lifting the back leg and bringing it forward. In-fact many QB coaches teach that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKekaOuWtog. If you look at Peyton, he has similar mechanics, the only difference is that POB leg lift is a little more pronounced. Might have been due to nerves, and trying to put a lot of power into his throw.

I noticed it on his h.s. vids, must be the baseball influence, as mentioned. Just hope a renegade DT or DE doesn't break it for him.

i just hope none of the guys get hurt by a "renegade" tackle.

I dunno, with his leg sticking that far out, I can envision some crazy pile up where he and leg are bent/contorted all over the place.

we don't have to imagine crazy pileups breaking legs. it happens all the time. check out the BYU tackle where they tried to hurt tommy with the alligator roll to see some crazy tackling.

There is abso

I think POB looks fine, but he lifts his back foot/leg off the ground when he throws, which seems odd.

I think POB played a lot of baseball in his younger days before focusing on football. Most baseball players/pitchers follow through with their back foot after throwing the ball. It's probably just a holdover from playing baseball.

Wouldn't the QB Whisperer Langs get him to change that already, or you think he's ok with it?

It's just him following through. If it helps POB get his legs into his throws, it's not a huge deal.

Okie dokie, then. I just hadn't seen the motion so pronounced before in a QB.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a QB lifting the back leg and bringing it forward. In-fact many QB coaches teach that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKekaOuWtog. If you look at Peyton, he has similar mechanics, the only difference is that POB leg lift is a little more pronounced. Might have been due to nerves, and trying to put a lot of power into his throw.

I noticed it on his h.s. vids, must be the baseball influence, as mentioned. Just hope a renegade DT or DE doesn't break it for him.

i just hope none of the guys get hurt by a "renegade" tackle.

I dunno, with his leg sticking that far out, I can envision some crazy pile up where he and leg are bent/contorted all over the place.

I would rather have his leg lifted up in the air, instead of stuck on the ground waiting for flying bodies to hit it while it's stationary.

Well, hitting the QB below the knees is illegal now, me thinks, but I could see him getting hit, say from the front by a few guys, and suddenly he's falling back doing the splits, with guys falling on top of him. I know, prlly nvr happen in a million yrs, right? I think if you are more or less standing on 2 feet your chances are better.

I use Brady as my guide, no lifty the back leggy much:

But mainly, I just thought that much of a hind leg lift looked fairly unorthodox.

Haven't found any highlights from the 4th quarter but good god, Dirk's article above makes it seem like POB is already a bust. The kid is 18 practices into his college career - cut him a little slack.

Really? I didn't take away that at all from the article. If the same article was written by Sam or Sipple I would be guessing you would have a different take.

If POB is the QB for 2017, it's imperative that he see the field this year. I don't foresee him displacing Armstrong as a starter, barring injury, but you don't want his first live game experience to be as a redshirt freshman starter.

I don't see it's imperative that he sees the field this year. There have been very talented QB's who started as redshirt freshmen without seeing the field the prior season.

If POB wins the backup job, it's a different story. But, right now he's #4.

Who are you thinking of? I'm having a hard time thinking of one who had a strong season as a redshirt freshman, especially in a pro system.

I prefer not to have 2017 be a "throwaway" season during which we are breaking in a new QB.

That said, I don't know that POB should be considered the QB of the future. Maybe it's Bush for 2017. Just saying that if POB starting in '17 is where the coaches see it going, then they should get him live reps this year.

It's a delicate situation, to be sure.

Jamies Winston and Johnny Manziel won back-to-back Heisman's as redshirt freshmen starting QBs. JT Barrett also stepped in as starting QB as a RS Frosh, after Braxton Miller got hurt in training camp in 2014. I am not saying POB is going to be as good as those guys, but it has happened.

Guys are coming into the college game with more preparation than ever. They can take the redshirt year as a way to adjust to college and learn their system, and then step in as a RS Frosh starting QB and do well.

add Sam Bradford to that list. Bradford’s final numbers — a 69.5 completion percentage, 3,121 yards and an NCAA freshman record 36 TDs....and he didn't finish the year because of injury.

or maybe Tommie Frazier as a true freshman?

Bradford is another great example. Although he did play all 14 games as a redshirt frosh.

Adding Luck and Mariota to the list.

Also Paxton Lynch from Memphis who is a projected 1st round pick this year.

We aren't talking about how well they eventually did. We are talking about how well they did that first season, and lynch, for example, threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

Lynch is still considered a "project" at QB for the NFL, so it's not surprising to see that he struggled as a RS freshman in college.

Playing RS Frosh isn't a science. Sometimes guys are surrounded by great talent and are able to make that great talent better (Manziel, Barrett, Winston).

As I posted before, I think Riley should do some looking at himself to see what he can do to make his first year starting QB's perform better, so it doesn't matter if POB or Bush or Gebbia are inexperienced college QB's.

Very few true frosh QBs are going to step into the starting job and carry the team, I don't care who they are. Jameis Winston is an exception and it's not like the guy didn't throw his fair share of picks his 1st year--and his 2nd year--but he was obviously a legit 5* special talent, he really "jumped off the page". I'm glad we have a seasoned starter there in TA that can carry the torch and give POB or whoever time to get there "feet on the ground", hah, see what I did there?

I agree. It's not a science. all I've said is probabilities/history indicate that him starting as a rfrosh would not bode well for him and his team in terms of production.

But there are no certainties either way.

I'd just weigh it as a signficiant factor in determine who gets the cleanup reps.

I also agree that the system should be adapted to help first time starters.

• Fire 1

Haven't found any highlights from the 4th quarter but good god, Dirk's article above makes it seem like POB is already a bust. The kid is 18 practices into his college career - cut him a little slack.

Really? I didn't take away that at all from the article. If the same article was written by Sam or Sipple I would be guessing you would have a different take.

Not really. I don't live in the state, so I don't follow the journalist enough to pick up on their writing styles and/or build bias towards any of them. Hell, I couldn't even tell you who works for the OWH or LJS,but when the article drops lines such as "Even if he's good, there's a chance he'll never start a game at Nebraska" and "Considering his press clippings, O'Brien didn't make much of a splash this spring", I'm going to argue that the journalist, whomever it is, cut the kid some slack.

Looks like Zach Darlington will nvr see the filed due to the concussions, eh? Too bad, could've been a good one, me thinks.

he's been moved to wr. not sure if he will ever see the field there or not....but that is why you don't see him mentioned with the qb's now.

Looks like Zach Darlington will nvr see the filed due to the concussions, eh? Too bad, could've been a good one, me thinks.

he's been moved to wr. not sure if he will ever see the field there or not....but that is why you don't see him mentioned with the qb's now.

WR, wow, thats loco! Great position for a guy who has had concussion issues: NOT! Besides, we have WRs coming out the ying yang these days.

WR, wow, thats loco! Great position for a guy who has had concussion issues: NOT! Besides, we have WRs coming out the ying yang these days.

Greg Smith

@gregsmithsports

#Huskers practice notes: Zach Darlington moved to WR. I'm told he has been pushing for it since last season.

6_3552441.JPG

Zack Darlington Quote # 1 0 Comments

I didn’t come here to Nebraska to play quarterback, I came to Nebraska to win. That’s what Husker nation deserves, someone that is going to put down anything that they care about to better the team around them and not just them. If there is anything I can do to help my brothers out I’m going to do it.

• Fire 1

There was plenty of discussion about ZD moving to WR when it was announced, nearly 2 months ago.

• Fire 2