Rate Patrick O'Brien's performance

Guys, I've got it figured out. Commit to the option. Tommy is the starter. Bush is the backup. Fyfe is the change-of-pace QB. Redshirt POB. Next year start the transition to a pro-style offense with Bush the starter and POB getting a lot of backup reps.

Boom. Solved.

I been saying this, well, since TA's been there. Play to his strengths, run, read option as much as possible, limit the crazy passes. The UCLA game appeared the coaches maybe finally figured it out that we should be a ground and pound team 1st, especially with a running QB. Anyway, hope the trend holds up.

If POB is the QB for 2017, it's imperative that he see the field this year. I don't foresee him displacing Armstrong as a starter, barring injury, but you don't want his first live game experience to be as a redshirt freshman starter.

I don't see it's imperative that he sees the field this year. There have been very talented QB's who started as redshirt freshmen without seeing the field the prior season.

If POB wins the backup job, it's a different story. But, right now he's #4.

Who are you thinking of? I'm having a hard time thinking of one who had a strong season as a redshirt freshman, especially in a pro system.

I prefer not to have 2017 be a "throwaway" season during which we are breaking in a new QB.

That said, I don't know that POB should be considered the QB of the future. Maybe it's Bush for 2017. Just saying that if POB starting in '17 is where the coaches see it going, then they should get him live reps this year.

It's a delicate situation, to be sure.

Jamies Winston and Johnny Manziel won back-to-back Heisman's as redshirt freshmen starting QBs. JT Barrett also stepped in as starting QB as a RS Frosh, after Braxton Miller got hurt in training camp in 2014. I am not saying POB is going to be as good as those guys, but it has happened.

Guys are coming into the college game with more preparation than ever. They can take the redshirt year as a way to adjust to college and learn their system, and then step in as a RS Frosh starting QB and do well.

• Fire 4

If POB is the QB for 2017, it's imperative that he see the field this year. I don't foresee him displacing Armstrong as a starter, barring injury, but you don't want his first live game experience to be as a redshirt freshman starter.

Agree 100%. TA and Fyfe are gone. AJ and POB are the immediate future in 2017. Give them as many real game touches as possible.

I don't see it's imperative that he sees the field this year. There have been very talented QB's who started as redshirt freshmen without seeing the field the prior season.

Who are you thinking of? I'm having a hard time thinking of one who had a strong season as a redshirt freshman, especially in a pro system.

I prefer not to have 2017 be a "throwaway" season during which we are breaking in a new QB.

That said, I don't know that POB should be considered the QB of the future. Maybe it's Bush for 2017. Just saying that if POB starting in '17 is where the coaches see it going, then they should get him live reps this year.

Jameis Winston for starters?

Agree 100%. TA and Fyfe are gone. AJ and POB are the immediate future in 2017. Give them as many real game touches as possible.

You can't throw the 2016 season out with the bath water, just to focus on 2017. If Fyfe is the #2 guy, he needs to be the guy to come in and get reps in game situations. We have seen Armstrong get injured in previous seasons, so if Fyfe is the backup, he needs to be able to come in and do the job. Part of the backup job is getting reps late in the games of blowouts. The coaches can't just skip Fyfe and go with Bush or POB if they are #3 and #4 on the depth chart.

You can't throw the 2016 season out with the bath water, just to focus on 2017. If Fyfe is the #2 guy, he needs to be the guy to come in and get reps in game situations. We have seen Armstrong get injured in previous seasons, so if Fyfe is the backup, he needs to be able to come in and do the job. Part of the backup job is getting reps late in the games of blowouts. The coaches can't just skip Fyfe and go with Bush or POB if they are #3 and #4 on the depth chart.

Exactly.

If he moves up to #2, then get him reps when possible late in games when the outcome is not in doubt. If not, then he shouldn't be out there in place of the real #2.

Jamies Winston and Johnny Manziel won back-to-back Heisman's as redshirt freshmen starting QBs. JT Barrett also stepped in as starting QB as a RS Frosh, after Braxton Miller got hurt in training camp in 2014. I am not saying POB is going to be as good as those guys, but it has happened.

Guys are coming into the college game with more preparation than ever. They can take the redshirt year as a way to adjust to college and learn their system, and then step in as a RS Frosh starting QB and do well.

add Sam Bradford to that list. Bradford’s final numbers — a 69.5 completion percentage, 3,121 yards and an NCAA freshman record 36 TDs....and he didn't finish the year because of injury.

or maybe Tommie Frazier as a true freshman?

Not sure about Barrett, but weren't both Winston and manziel top rated recruits (like top 2 or 3 at QB)?

I take your point and it's a reasonable one, but balance of probabilities tells me that we should get whomever is identified as the likely '17 starter reps during this season, whether that be POB or Bush.

• Fire 1

add Sam Bradford to that list. Bradford’s final numbers — a 69.5 completion percentage, 3,121 yards and an NCAA freshman record 36 TDs....and he didn't finish the year because of injury.

or maybe Tommie Frazier as a true freshman?

Bradford is another great example. Although he did play all 14 games as a redshirt frosh.

I agree with the sentiment absolutely. And if it's a vast difference between Fyfe and the other QBs, I agree. But on the flip side, 2017 shouldn't be throw away either. And not to go down this road again, but brand new starters in a Riley offense have consistently struggled. It would be good to get the 2017 QB real experience before throwing him directly into the fire.

• Fire 1

Not sure about Barrett, but weren't both Winston and manziel top rated recruits (like top 2 or 3 at QB)?

I take your point and it's a reasonable one, but balance of probabilities tells me that we should get whomever is identified as the likely '17 starter reps during this season, whether that be POB or Bush.

Manziell wasn't highly recruited out of high school. He didn't even win the job until the last week of fall camp in 2013.

Nobody is saying that the adjustment will be easy for POB (or even Bush) in 2017, but to say those guys need to see reps for the sake of seeing reps is mis-guided. After Armstrong, the coaches need to play whomever is the backup QB, and then go from there.

Maybe Riley needs to analyze why his first year QB's continuously struggle with decisions, making mistakes, and throwing INT's. Maybe Riley needs to take pressure off his first-year QB's with a strong running game.

I just don't see why Riley needs to be focusing on the success of 2017, when the team just finished the 2016 Spring practice and are 4 1/2 months from seeing a real game in 2016. Yes, the coaches need to have some of their attention on the future, but there are real games that count in 2016 that they need to focus on first.