The General Election

So here's a very important question for all of you. Did Bill really fall asleep during Hillary's speech, or was he just thinking about that dress Katy Perry was wearing a few minutes earlier. Thoughts?

Here's an even more important question. Why do you insist on bringing the level of quality conversation in any thread in P&R down such a drastic amount?

• Fire 2

So here's a very important question for all of you. Did Bill really fall asleep during Hillary's speech, or was he just thinking about that dress Katy Perry was wearing a few minutes earlier. Thoughts?

Here's an even more important question. Why do you insist on bringing the level of quality conversation in any thread in P&R down such a drastic amount?

Give me a break...if you look through this entire thread, you will see sarcasm and funny remarks throughout, whether its about Hillary, Trump, or now even "feeling the johnson." If you don't have a sense of humor you might not want to view these threads.

I know some will say I have a biased view, ...

How could anyone possibly say that? Your arguments, topics, and sources are consistently of the highest caliber.

Lol...maybe you could learn a think or two about offering up data points to back up your arguments. Unlike some on here, I've been very up front that I lean more Conservative so it's not as though I'm putting on a facade that I'm some Independent who always seems to side with one party 99% of the time as I've seen some on here do. And my request for input from those who do feel truly independent was sincere regarding how they viewed Hillary's speech. I openly will admit that Obama and Bill Clinton are awesome orators even though I 100% disagree with many of their policy views. When I heard Hillary speak, it was hard to listen to from a tone/delivery perspective.

^ That's in incredibly poor taste.

When I heard Hillary speak, it was hard to listen to from a tone/delivery perspective.

I haven't watched Hillary's speech, but I'm assuming she was shrill, or something. We've heard it all before, a thousand times over.

In any case, I think there are traits other than oration and looking and sounding like a Standard Model U.S. President that should be held as important. Seriousness, whether you agree in policy terms or not. Attention to policy detail. Willingness and ability to tackle the grind and the challenges of administrating as large, powerful, and diverse country as America.

You are very welcome, by the way, to challenge me when I advance an argument that has no credible support.

I think the actual closeness of ties and Manchurian-candidate suggestions are a little exaggerated. They're the things that capture the most attention, but as such things go, attention dwarfs actual significance.

Where I think this matters most is Trump's overt, consistent praise for people like Putin, Saddam, and Kim Jong-un -- it reveals what he considers to be models of governance. And this is the man running for the highest political office in our land.

The American system isn't merely held up by laws. It's held up by the acceptance of those laws, and the prevalence of strong norms in service of our laws and institutions. It's alarming to me the degree to which these norms seem to no longer actually exist, at least in the eyes of many voters.

^ and speaking of norms, assassination should *never* be regarded as an option. Not if Caligula himself took the Oval Office. (Not to say that I think you're serious, cm -- I know you aren't.)

"Held up by the acceptance of laws."

Very true statement.

I actually think that assassination of a hitler or Caligula type would be justifiable. If legal means of removal were not an option, extra-legal means would be required. But we can have that debate in a different thread - because you're right. I would advocate that for trump... Yet.