OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

The final chapter of Perlman's legacy is yet to be written in regards to football.

Very true. As much as I've questioned some of the things he's done, I really hope that he and Eichorst did it right in hiring Riley.

if nothing else I can go to a bar in a Husker shirt and not have to talk about our crazy ass coach with some random person who wants to laugh at Nebraska football...that was getting old.

• Fire 3

"Perlman noted he had the misfortune of coming in the wake of the unprecedented career of Tom Osborne, one of the most successful and innovative football coaches of all time and a tough act for any coach to follow. To fail to recognize that, Perlman said, doesn’t give the legend his due."

Oh, woe is Prickman! What a whiner!

What he failed to recognize is the system both Devaney and Osborne set up for NU football and how well it worked, and that all he needed to do was provide the necessary support and LEAVE IT ALONE! That would have made his job, as far as football, much, much easier. But egomaniacs can't leave well enough alone, and instead, they feel compelled to leave their mark. Meanwhile, here NU football is, right smack in the middle of mediocrity.

Hey Prickman, Osborne had to follow a legend, and he ended up okay. Partly because he had a much smarter (than you) AD over him. The same would have been true for Solich, but you and your egomaniac AD SPEM could not leave the system alone. Now, four coaches later, and a lot of payouts, NU football is in worse shape than during Solich. And the ONLY common denominator is YOU! Thanks a lot. Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out.

BC wasn't A high profile NFL coach at that point, but I don't believe he is lying when he says that SP had a high profile NFL HC lined up and the guy got cold feet. It sounds very logical, as the article says SP made a bad call by not having a solid plan B lined up.

SPEM was notoriously naïve when it came to hiring coaches. He was used and abused during the process. See Houston Nutt, and the huge raise he got just for NU's private lear jet landing in Arkansas. If it didn't involve NU football, that would be one hilarious story!

I wouldn't believe anything Prickman or his egomaniac AD SPEM said about that situation. They were notorious for disinformation and propaganda to cover their azzes.

The final chapter of Perlman's legacy is yet to be written in regards to football.

Very true. As much as I've questioned some of the things he's done, I really hope that he and Eichorst did it right in hiring Riley.

if nothing else I can go to a bar in a Husker shirt and not have to talk about our crazy ass coach with some random person who wants to laugh at Nebraska football...that was getting old.

People on bbs's whine about this, but while traveling the country, I never heard that. What I mostly heard is "I went to a game there once; it was awesome" or "do you all have anything other than football out there?"

Bo didn't even rank among the craziest in CFB let alone when stacked against all coaches across all sports.

• Fire 2

I don't think SE if MR would have shown no interest would have went "Oh sh#t what do we do now" That is what SP did, that is why it took 41 days to find a coach. SP badly misread the coaching landscape. He thought he would have guys fighting for the job at Nebraska and that just wasn't the case.

The only reason you know SPEM had no Plan B is hindsight. Since Ickyhorst's first choice, Riley took the job, we'll never know if he really did have a Plan B. Judging by his SPEM-like actions, it wouldn't surprise me in the least he had no Plan B.

It's amusing to me that Perlman would invoke respect for Osborne's legacy while also justifying the idiocy of firing Frank in '03 and later Bo for "not winning the games that matter."

Well, Bo absolutely did not win the games that mattered so what's your point?

Yea Frank probably should not have been fired, but how can anyone still defend Bo? He told you to go F*ck yourself. Bo was an embarrassment, he had a terrible petulant temper, and he could not win the games that mattered.

Harvey's greatest achievement was Sh*t canning ole BO. I commend Harvey for that endeavor.

I don't think Bo ever said "Throwing Bones, go ____ yourself." But maybe I missed that Omaha/Journalstar article.

"Perlman noted he had the misfortune of coming in the wake of the unprecedented career of Tom Osborne, one of the most successful and innovative football coaches of all time and a tough act for any coach to follow. To fail to recognize that, Perlman said, doesn’t give the legend his due."

What he failed to recognize is the system both Devaney and Osborne set up for NU football and how well it worked, and that all he needed to do was provide the necessary support and LEAVE IT ALONE! That would have made his job, as far as football, much, much easier. But egomaniacs can't leave well enough alone, and instead, they feel compelled to leave their mark. Meanwhile, here NU football is, right smack in the middle of mediocrity.

Hey Prickman, Osborne had to follow a legend, and he ended up okay. Partly because he had a much smarter (than you) AD over him. The same would have been true for Solich, but you and your egomaniac AD SPEM could not leave the system alone. Now, four coaches later, and a lot of payouts, NU football is in worse shape than during Solich. And the ONLY common denominator is YOU! Thanks a lot. Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out.

Wow, you have some pretty serious angst issues over Perlman.

It's amusing to me that Perlman would invoke respect for Osborne's legacy while also justifying the idiocy of firing Frank in '03 and later Bo for "not winning the games that matter."

Yea Frank probably should not have been fired, but how can anyone still defend Bo? He told you to go F*ck yourself. Bo was an embarrassment, he had a terrible petulant temper, and he could not win the games that mattered.

Harvey's greatest achievement was Sh*t canning ole BO. I commend Harvey for that endeavor.

I don't think Bo ever said "Throwing Bones, go ____ yourself." But maybe I missed that Omaha/Journalstar article.

Obviously he didn't use your HB name, or your RL name but he did tell the fans to go F themselves, and if you're a fan (I'm assuming you are since you are here posting) that applies to you as well.

"Perlman noted he had the misfortune of coming in the wake of the unprecedented career of Tom Osborne, one of the most successful and innovative football coaches of all time and a tough act for any coach to follow. To fail to recognize that, Perlman said, doesnt give the legend his due."

Solich was at least as responsible as anyone for Nebraska's fall from grace in football.

It literally happened while he was in charge of the football program.

• Fire 1

Obviously he didn't use your HB name, or your RL name but he did tell the fans to go F themselves, and if you're a fan (I'm assuming you are since you are here posting) that applies to you as well.

He told fans who booed his players to go f#*k themselves. And I echo his sentiments.

• Fire 3

No he didn't.

I heard it was Urban. Didn't come since we fired a 9-3 Frank........... Thought expectations were too high.

Urb wasn't an NFL coach

My bad. Heard he was offered though.

From the NFL, seem to remember Cowher kicked around. Might not have been same time period. That might have been after Cally.

My belief is that it was Spurrier. He stayed at Washington for a year and then took a year off before going to South Carolina.

Spurrier makes the most sense to me. And he would've been a major hire at the time. Who knows how it all could've turned out.

"Perlman noted he had the misfortune of coming in the wake of the unprecedented career of Tom Osborne, one of the most successful and innovative football coaches of all time and a tough act for any coach to follow. To fail to recognize that, Perlman said, doesnt give the legend his due."

Solich was at least as responsible as anyone for Nebraska's fall from grace in football.

It literally happened while he was in charge of the football program.

Yup. No one person is to blame. It was systemic.

• Fire 1