OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

But let's just say you've never remotely advocated giving Mike Riley the time allotted to Solich or Bo, so stop with the horsesh#t and just embrace your hatred of the Riley hire:.

Time allotted is earned. Riley is currently earning it at a Callahan level.

This.

Solich and Pelini hit the ground running. Cally and Riley tripped over their own feet right out of the gate.

Oh, that's right. Riley inherited a bunch of crap players who won't buy in cuz loyalty to Bo.

2 coaches didn't implement new offenses in their first years and took a lazy approach to recruiting. 2 did the opposite. 3 have been fired so far. Riley might be #4. Who's way is right?
  • Fire 3

I'm surprised to see everyone taking sides in a Pelini vs Riley fight. Am I the only one who thinks they are both awful coaches?

It's difficult to say they are awful. I think Pelini might have been a better coach had he been able to lead a smaller team first. Rarely is it seen that a coordinator takes over a major name team and has sustained success in today's college football. The gig was too big for him.

Riley might have been different had he had the dollars behind him like a major program.

Now one is at a smaller school and the other has the resources. They both stumbled in year 1. Year 2-3 will be more telling of their awfulness or lack thereof.

• Fire 1

But let's just say you've never remotely advocated giving Mike Riley the time allotted to Solich or Bo, so stop with the horsesh#t and just embrace your hatred of the Riley hire:.

Time allotted is earned. Riley is currently earning it at a Callahan level.

This.

Solich and Pelini hit the ground running. Cally and Riley tripped over their own feet right out of the gate.

Oh, that's right. Riley inherited a bunch of crap players who won't buy in cuz loyalty to Bo.

2 coaches didn't implement new offenses in their first years and took a lazy approach to recruiting. 2 did the opposite. 3 have been fired so far. Riley might be #4. Who's way is right?

That's why you judge them one year at time. If they make progress, or have reasonable explanations why they didn't and/or reasonable hope/expectations that next year will be better, then you give them one more year. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Solich wasn't automatically given 22 years just because that's how long it took TO to win a NC.

Cally wasn't automatically given 8 years just because that's Solich had.

Pelini wasn't automatically given 4 years just because that's what Cally had.

Riley should not automatically be given 7 years just because that's what Pelini had.

Riley did crappy his first year. But there some reasonable explanations (and some not so reasonable) as to why, and there is some reasonable hope that next year will be better, so he gets one more year and will be evaluated again at the end of next year.

• Fire 2

For about a decade people thought TO couldn't move the chains.

Actually for about two different decades.

We're thrilled you're now advocating similar patience with Mike Riley.

As I've said dozens of times, if Riley matches Frank's and Bo's performances, you won't hear me calling for his head.

Unfortunately, even if he bounces up two or three levels from his career .500 record, he only has a decade of coaching left in him (if that).

Oh please. You were calling for his head from day one.

Mere weeks ago you advocated eating Riley's contract and replacing him with a guy who brought in a .000 record as a head coach.

You do realize there's a search feature on this site, right?

As I've said dozens of times, you are the master of moving the goalposts.

You're wrong. At one point I said we should be bold and go for Frost before he gets settled at UCF because he has far more upside. But other than that, I've never called for his head.

Post the quotes or STFU.

You mean that other than calling for his head, you've never called for his head?

Jesus, I didn't want to do this. And Lord knows you will never STFU yourself.

"Your support and patience as Mike Riley rebuilds our storied program one brick at a time mean the world to our young men, our staff and our university. "[/size]

What, after you and he took a wrecking ball to the program during the first 9 games of this season?[/size]

Get the f#*k out, man. [/size]

I'm getting closer and closer to saying Frost should be hired and given a massive contract to keep the dogs at bay.

At least he understands NU football and runs a system that would be able to utilize our current talent (none of this, we need 3 or 4 years to recruit our guys) stuff. If we wait 3 to 4 years to make the inevitable change, then NU is required to revamp again anyway.

NU is dangerously close to having to gamble big or just pack up the program.

No, I don't see the difference. Because NU just got lit up by an awful team and the entire country thinks it's a matter of when, and not if, with Riley.

It'd be fine with me to keep Riley, because I actually do think he could get to 9 wins on a fairly consistent basis. However, I don't see him every doing better than that because (a) he never has, (b) he doesn't have great coordinators, despite years in the profession to identify them, and © his system is fundamentally flawed in terms of producing consistent results, let alone championships, in a place like Lincoln.

But, .700 football while running a clean program ain't bad. So I'd never advocate firing him if he got to that level of performance.

Unfortunately, the hordes who pushed out Solich and Pelini will want Riley's head, too, and I'd rather we just make the change now before we possibly set NU football back further.

To me, even if you think Riley could turn it around, I don't think there's a hope in hell of uniting the fan base absent an "impartial" AD coming in and assessing the state of the football program.

I want a coach with a chance at longevity, because I think continuity is one of the two or three most important factors contributing to a highly successful programs.

One of my several objections to Riley is that even if he's wildly successful, he has about 5 to 8 years, at most, left in the tank.

Having Nebraska ties is a great asset. Not sure why some are trying to downplay the value in that.

Personally, I wish we'd fire Riley today and steal frost before he signs the papers.

Having Nebraska ties is a great asset. Not sure why some are trying to downplay the value in that.

Personally, I wish we'd fire Riley today and steal frost before he signs the papers.

What??? Really.. fire a first year coach at your university and bring in a first year offensive coordinator, who had a so so year at another university and totally mess with his recruits. Solid choice.

Yes. That would be the right long term move. And would give NU a chance to right this ship that much sooner. Will never happen, but it should.

And offensively, Oregon was better than so so.

I see a lot of inferred hyperbole and quotes taken out of context here.

Trump, is that you?

• Fire 1

Hell, he even included a quote where I said the opposite of what he claimed I said.

He, like so many, can't seem to understand some of us want eichorst and Perlman out but would be fine with a new AD keeping Riley (if he wins at a similar level as Bo and Frank).

• Fire 2

Hell, he even included a quote where I said the opposite of what he claimed I said.

He, like so many, can't seem to understand some of us want eichorst and Perlman out but would be fine with a new AD keeping Riley (if he wins at a similar level as Bo and Frank).

He/They are probably the same people who literally think Bo told every fan to go f#*k themselves, hit a ref with his hat, begged/dared to be fired, coerced players to undermine Riley and sabotage games, and bit the head off a live bat.

"I did exactly what you said I did, but I worded it way different so I could backtrack at this exact moment."

-cm husker

"That's not quite what happened or what somebody said, but I'm too ignorant, dishonest, or incapable of paying attention to facts and I don't have enough of an open mind to consider any other possibility, so I'm going to fabricate and describe/portray that event or that person in the manner I want it/them to be perceived, because YOLO!!!!1111oneoneone!!!!!"

-1995 Redux, Guy Chamberlin, 1989husker!!oneone111 et al.