Keyshawn Sr. Fires Opening Shot at Oregon

Ugggh - hope he gets it together before - hate that we'd suddenly be in that cocky, trash talking mentality. I'd rather be the better sportsman and use bs like this to motivate our guys, not have to defend against.

This type of talk is not poor sportsmanship and is pretty normal throughout CFB. Not normally from a father of a player but hopefully Sr.'s swagger got passed down to son as well as athletic abilities. We need a little more testosterone running throughout the team. Just need to apply it while on the field, but hey, its a start!

Matter of opinion on the level of sportsmanship - I like the testosterone, just prefer it in the locker room and on the field. I'd prefer we get it done and let that speak for itself. Just like dancing in the end zone - I think it's more impactful to politely hand the ref the ball and get back to the sideline. Do your business. Don't talk about it, and certainly don't talk about it on twitter months before a game.

Look at the 92' Huskers vs. the Miami Hurricanes of the 80s'. I'd rather be the former and be respected for our talent than hated for our mouths.

Those 90s teams talked crap...

Really? I honestly don't recall them talking in the media. Not that Husker players never have, but that was sort of a "brand" of those teams. The "anti-brash" compared to FLA teams, for example.

I don't mean between players though. Obviously that happens. But I don't recall any "trash talking" interviews those years.

• Fire 2

Ugggh - hope he gets it together before - hate that we'd suddenly be in that cocky, trash talking mentality. I'd rather be the better sportsman and use bs like this to motivate our guys, not have to defend against.

This type of talk is not poor sportsmanship and is pretty normal throughout CFB. Not normally from a father of a player but hopefully Sr.'s swagger got passed down to son as well as athletic abilities. We need a little more testosterone running throughout the team. Just need to apply it while on the field, but hey, its a start!

Matter of opinion on the level of sportsmanship - I like the testosterone, just prefer it in the locker room and on the field. I'd prefer we get it done and let that speak for itself. Just like dancing in the end zone - I think it's more impactful to politely hand the ref the ball and get back to the sideline. Do your business. Don't talk about it, and certainly don't talk about it on twitter months before a game.

Look at the 92' Huskers vs. the Miami Hurricanes of the 80s'. I'd rather be the former and be respected for our talent than hated for our mouths.

I mean, in the NC Tommie Frazier straight up called Warren Sapp "fat ass" after Sapp talked crap to him

I mean, in the NC Tommie Frazier straight up called Warren Sapp "fat ass" after Sapp talked crap to him

On the field talk is much different than media talk.

• Fire 2

Really? I honestly don't recall them talking in the media. Not that Husker players never have, but that was sort of a "brand" of those teams. The "anti-brash" compared to FLA teams, for example.

I don't mean between players though. Obviously that happens. But I don't recall any "trash talking" interviews those years.

Social media has changed things.

Why?

• Fire 1

That isn't what we're talking about.

Why?

Not sure if you are asking a serious question or just trying to argue. However, the simple and most obvious answer is with social media any player can express their opinions at any moment through social media rather than only a few players selected to speak for an interview or press conference.

This should be very obvious, imo.

• Fire 3

Why?
This can't be a serious question.
  • Fire 1

Why?
This can't be a serious question.

I agree. However, I played along and gave him the simplest and most obvious answer. Hopefully, it doesn't have to be discussed belong that.

I don't mean "why does social media facilitate a behavior?"

I meant "why should social media change the message?" (I.e., why is it "different now"?)

Twitter has been around for awhile. Some use it one way. Others use it differently. I don't see why things we would have considered brash in the 90s are ok now because they are on Twitter.

Anyway, I don't really believe those 90s teams talked much, if at all, publicly.

Second, I don't think "swagger" by a parent is at all relevant to NU's success one way or the other.

• Fire 3

I don't mean "why does social media facilitate a behavior?"

I meant "why should social media change the message?" (I.e., why is it "different now"?)

Twitter has been around for awhile. Some use it one way. Others use it differently. I don't see why things we would have considered brash in the 90s are ok now because they are on Twitter.

Anyway, I don't really believe those 90s teams talked much, if at all, publicly.

Second, I don't think "swagger" by a parent is at all relevant to NU's success one way or the other.

Different coaches and admin with a vision for the program could be an easy explanation for why the program message would be different from the 90's. While I agree that the players from the 90's did not talk trash often, if at all, publicly via the media, I think there are two points to be made here. First, I would say via the traditional media outlets, the players, coaches, and admin a part of the program currently do not trash talk, so there is continuity of past and present. Second, if we are talking about social media specifically, it would be simple conjecture to discuss whether past players would trash talk using this means, but I would say kids are kids, now or back then.

cm, can you just admit that you don't understand trash talk, go back to the kiddie table, and stop creeping out our cool friends?

I get trash talk.

Just find it particularly odd coming from a parent of a recruit.

I think that if a parent of a Oregon recruit trashed NU on Twitter, many who are enjoying this bit of banter would be singing a different tune about the appropriateness of such brashness.

• Fire 3