Gruden/Callahan

Gruden visits Nebraska practice

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 - 12:38:08 am CDT

Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden watches Nebraska's football practice on Friday. (Dior Azcuy)

When Bill Callahan and the Oakland Raiders parted ways following the 2003 season, Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden tried to hire his friend and former colleague as an assistant.

As it turns out, Gruden said Friday, Callahan landed in a prime coaching position.

“We tried to hire him immediately, as did some other teams, to keep him in the NFL,” Gruden said. “(But) this is a storied program. This is Nebraska. When I walk down these hallways, Jiminy Christmas, they have had a lot of great players here. This is a football powerhouse. It’s a great responsibility for whoever has this job.

“I think this is a good fit for him, and it’s a responsibility that he needs.”

The 42-year-old Gruden came to Lincoln as the featured speaker at the Huskers’ annual spring coaches’ clinic. He said it marked his first-ever clinic speech anywhere, and that he did it because of Callahan, whom Gruden obviously holds in high regard. In fact, Gruden said, “I wouldn’t be where I am without Bill Callahan.”

Callahan, meanwhile, returned the compliment, describing Gruden as a “mentor.”

From 1998-2001, Gruden was head coach at Oakland, with Callahan serving as offensive coordinator before taking over as head coach after Gruden left for Tampa. They also had worked together from 1995-97 with the Philadelphia Eagles, with Gruden serving as offensive coordinator and Callahan as offensive line coach.

During their seven seasons together, their teams had a combined record of 64-47-1, with four playoff appearances.

“We were hand-in-hand for seven years in Philadelphia and Oakland, and I learned a lot of football from Bill,” Gruden said. “I wanted to rekindle my friendship with him. I miss him, and I’m proud of what he’s doing here. I know what he’s up against. I know the challenges he has.

“I’m just excited to see what he’s doing and where the program’s going. To witness it with my own two eyes was important to me.”

Gruden watched Friday’s practice from the sideline — that is, when he wasn’t signing autographs or posing for photographs. More than 700 coaches from 16 states were on hand for the workout.

“He looks as intimidating in person as he does on TV,” one prep coach said of Gruden.

Gruden said he was impressed with the practice’s quick tempo, efficiency and organization.

“It was crisp,” he said. “Guys are picking up the system. The execution is clean, particularly with the first group. Defensively, they have a real good energy and confidence and swagger about them.

“I think they’re making great strides, the way they closed out last season (with wins) against Colorado and Michigan. Now to have a good spring practice after an outstanding recruiting class — that’s what they need to lift this program off again.”

Interestingly, a few of the primary issues Tampa faced on offense during its run to the Super Bowl crown in 2002 were similar to the issues Nebraska is facing now. Before coming on late in the 2002 season, and dismantling Callahan’s Raiders 48-21 in the title game, the Buccaneers struggled in the running game and suffered breakdowns protecting quarterback Brad Johnson.

This spring, Callahan is emphasizing an improved power running game and overall improvement in the offensive line. Nebraska last season ranked 107th nationally in rushing at 96.0 yards per game, and quarterback Zac Taylor was sacked 38 times.

Gruden said he was impressed with Taylor, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior.

“I saw him make all kinds of throws — moving to his right, moving to his left, from the shotgun, three-step drops,” Gruden said. “I’m impressed with his toughness. This guy takes hits, gets up and keeps playing. He throws a friendly ball, and his receivers have a lot of confidence in him.

“I’ve seen guys take major jumps in Year Two as a starter in this system. His intelligence and his background are really going to help him.”

Gruden also was impressed with sophomore I-back Marlon Lucky. Cody Glenn, battling Lucky for playing time at I-back, missed the practice with a high ankle sprain. Callahan said Glenn could return to action as soon as today or Monday.

“I just see a guy that has great energy and quickness and pass-receiving ability,” Gruden said of Lucky.

In his speech to coaches, Gruden said he planned to impart his passion for the game and his belief in the importance of fundamentals.

“I want to have a little fun, because I think at the end of the day this has to be the best time of our lives — to coach football and live in America and be together at a coaching clinic, with no wives,” he said, grinning widely.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

gruden had an awesome quote in his interview.. ill post my favorite quote...

"This is a storied program. This is NEBRASKA. and i walk down these hallways, jiminy christmas, Have they had a lot of players here! This is NEBRASKA, man. This is a football POWERHOUSE. And its a great responsibility to whoever has this job. And uh, i think this is a good fit for him, and its the responsibility he needs, and uh, im excited for him." - Coach Gruden on Bill Callahan taking the job at Nebraska.

this is goin into my signature..

"I just see a guy that has great energy and quickness and pass-receiving ability," Gruden said of Lucky.

That is a promising quote...i knew he had quickness and energy, but i want to see a back that has some receiving ability on the field next year.... last year i think Lucky was just a bit nervous which is why he had some dropsies.

This is great to have a NFL coach come in and say all of these nice things.  Now, some might say he is just saying it, but the type of person Gruden is, I don't think he would make up stuff.

I'd have to agree. Coach Gruden isn't the type to BS. He tells it like it is. He just happens to see a pretty good team developing at Nebraska. :horns2

:restore2

I agree with what you said but do you think he would come here

and say we suck.

This is great to have a NFL coach come in and say all of these nice things.  Now, some might say he is just saying it, but the type of person Gruden is, I don't think he would make up stuff.

I'd have to agree. Coach Gruden isn't the type to BS. He tells it like it is. He just happens to see a pretty good team developing at Nebraska. :horns2

and say we suck.

Of course he wouldn't come here and say we suck, but he wouldn't have to give all the praise he did either. Someone like Gruden doesn't just say things like "I wouldn't be where I am without Bill Callahan" or saying how Nebraska is such a football institution if he didn't really believe it.

and say we suck.

Of course he wouldn't come here and say we suck, but he wouldn't have to give all the praise he did either. Someone like Gruden doesn't just say things like "I wouldn't be where I am without Bill Callahan" or saying how Nebraska is such a football institution if he didn't really believe it.

you know he believes it... he drafted barrett ruud.. :woo

and coach kiffen prolly DOES talk about NEBRASKA a lot.