Gun Control

If the goal is to reduce gun violence

why has all the focus been on banning certain types of long guns

long guns were responsible for 403 deaths  or about 1 percent:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/

it isnt tough to figure out 

ban the guns that are politically easiest to get banned, regardless of the neglidgeable impact 

use that as a starting point to ban all guns 

that is the end game 

About half of all Democrats want to ban all guns in the hands of private citizens

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/survey-majority-of-democrats-want-to-ban-semi-automatics-half-want-to-ban-all-guns

handguns cause the most deaths by far, why not go after them first? Not many guys hunting with hand guns 

• Plus1 2

• The Washington Examiner is not a reputable, unbiased publication.
  • Banning assault style weapons is not the sole proposal for any person or group that I've seen published or heard verbalized.
  • You are either buying in to fear mongering or you are ignorant.

NPR polls interviewed Republicans, Democrats and Independents and found:

The poll found widespread bipartisan support for a range of gun-control policies, including:

• requiring background checks for all gun buyers (94 percent),
  • adding people with mental illnesses to the federal gun background check system (92 percent),
  • raising the legal age to purchase guns from 18 to 21 (82 percent),
  • banning bump stocks (81 percent),
  • banning high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds (73 percent) and
  • banning assault-style weapons (72 percent).

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.20.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.20.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.21.14 AM.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Do you think there is value in lessening the number of gun related suicides in the US?

Where do you draw the line?

over 31,000 car crash deaths 

do you think there is value in lessening the number of car crash deaths in the us? 

Are you in favor of banning cars?

is there anything in our bill of rights that spells out our right to autos ? May have to amend our bill of rights if gun bans are put in place 

How about knives ? Would you think there is value in lessening the number of deaths caused by knives ? 

2 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

do you think there is value in lessening the number of car crash deaths in the us? 

is there anything in our bill of rights that spells out our right to autos ? May have to amend our bill of rights if gun bans are put in place 

How about knives ? Would you think there is value in lessening the number of deaths caused by knives ? 

How many times have cars or knives been used to purposely kill over 5 people at a time in the last 10 years?

3 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

So you're saying no?  There is no value in lessening the number of gun related suicides in the US.

4 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

And if you're going to try the car danger diatribe that you people often do, there are a ton of past posts about it.  

But in a nutshell, there are a boatload of data showing the stats behind a decrease in vehicle deaths and injuries since safety measures like seat belts and air bags were put into place because the smart US folks had agencies that tracked injuries and deaths, and when they started rising they decided there had to be changes made in order to make vehicles and their drivers safer.  Thus new laws like speed limits, seat belt laws AND changes to manufacturing requirements including airbags, crash testing etc.

You have to do better than just bringing up the old GOP/Fox talking points.

And yes, if there were 40K+ knife deaths per year in the US I would be fine with and would expect that we do something about it.  I'm betting the NKA (National Knife Association) would fight it - oh wait, they don't have a crooked lobbying monster that funds campaign candidates and MOC to make sure that they keep their sales up by spreading paranoia about how citizens need knives to defend their home and insure that they are able to defend themselves against a tyrannical government.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, NM11046 said:
  • The Washington Examiner is not a reputable, unbiased publication.
  • Banning assault style weapons is not the sole proposal for any person or group that I've seen published or heard verbalized.
  • You are either buying in to fear mongering or you are ignorant.

NPR polls interviewed Republicans, Democrats and Independents and found:

If you really think many  democrats and their willing accomplices in the media  do not have an end game goal of banning all guns then I guess you forgot about how our country was lied to to get something passed just recently: 

you can keep your plan and your doctor

average family costs will go down about $2500

we all know it’s the baby steps they think they can get to launch their end game 

heck pelosi and Schumer voted for money for the wall and changed their minds now that political winds might be shifting a bit 

btw the bill of rights was put in place to protect us all from the tyranny of the majority , it’s part of the absolute beauty of our system of governance 

• Plus1 1

@OTHusker as much as we obviously disagree on what seems to be all political topics, I appreciate you being on P&R and sharing your opinion with us.  We need more balance here, we also need to better understand why the "other side" feels the way they do.  

I think the biggest issue we face today is the general public's lack of ability to review of facts and figures and determining what has heft behind it and what is just trying to sway or confirm audience bias.  We are in a dangerous time when publications like The Washington Examiner and infotainment like Fox News is looked at as sources of real and unbiased information.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

If you really think many  democrats and their willing accomplices in the media  do not have an end game goal of banning all guns then I guess you forgot about how our country was lied to to get something passed just recently: 

you can keep your plan and your doctor

average family costs will go down about $2500

we all know it’s the baby steps they think they can get to launch their end game 

heck pelosi and Schumer voted for money for the wall and changed their minds now that political winds might be shifting a bit 

btw the bill of rights was put in place to protect us all from the tyranny of the majority , it’s part of the absolute beauty of our system of governance 

So to stay on topic, when you look at the data above (I've repasted below), which is from a bipartisan group and was polled by NPR (which is as nonbiased as you can get), what do you disagree with?

Banning assault weapons?  Banning high capacity mags?  Requiring background checks?  Banning bump stocks?  Raising the legal buying age?  Screening for mental illness prior to gun sales and licensing?

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many times have cars or knives been used to purposely kill over 5 people at a time in the last 10 years?

Maybe you aren’t aware but there has been a surge of knife attacks in the uk and calls to ban knives of certain sizes 

London saw more murders than nyc

and it’s really tough to buy handguns in any part of uk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/07/19/knife-attacks-and-murders-spike-in-the-uk/amp/

I’m against banning “assault” type weapons

if you look at the real facts they make up a tiny tiny fraction of gun deaths 

there Is a lot of slippery slope in what many are suggesting

checking someone’s Facebook page to see if they made a comment or 2 critical of our government as a criteria for gun ownership?

if you think that’s far fetched I guess you didn’t read about how the irs treated conservatives using bare knuckled tactics mayor Daley would have applauded 

you really think this couldn’t be abused?

that regular folks who don’t agree with the government or the party in power could be singled out to not be allowed to own guns?

wow

• Plus1 1

The right believes we need more guns to protect us from the government. 

Meanwhile, demonize someone who peacefully protests against government actions they feel are wrong. 

They believe everyone should stand at attention and praise the flag no matter what the government is doing. 

They believe the military is the most honorable arm of the government and don’t you dare ever disrespect them.....well, unless they get caught. 

They believe you should back law enforcement and don’t you dare protest against something they are doing. 

And this is the side that at some point is going to take up arms against the military and law enforcement that will be enforcing the government’s laws. 

There has been some major mental gymnastics that have gone on in political propaganda for quite some time. 

• Thanks 1

Where did the FB comment come from?

And yes, I don't live in a world where the government and the libs and the world is out to get me.  I live in a world where there should be an attempt to curb an epidemic that is totally controllable.  I live in a world where there is value put on lives, and the government does what it can to make life here less risky and more safe.  

If you truly look at the "risk" of mentally ill people being on a high risk gun list as a negative, that there is a need for bump stocks for "hunting deer", where 18 year olds that aren't old enough to vote, who are full of hormones and who get angry cuz their girl looked at another guy, or a guy's car was faster then theirs or they didn't get to go to prom and so they decide to kill/shoot themselves or others, then dude, I have no more words.  

24 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

@OTHusker as much as we obviously disagree on what seems to be all political topics, I appreciate you being on P&R and sharing your opinion with us.  We need more balance here, we also need to better understand why the "other side" feels the way they do.  

I think the biggest issue we face today is the general public's lack of ability to review of facts and figures and determining what has heft behind it and what is just trying to sway or confirm audience bias.  We are in a dangerous time when publications like The Washington Examiner and infotainment like Fox News is looked at as sources of real and unbiased information.

If you think

cnn

nbc

msnbc

facebook

twitter 

google 

arent biased you have your head in the sand 

havent you read about the lies Dan rather told 

you do know that clintonista popanapolous is with cnn as was Donna brazille and many many many democratic donors, sympathizers and operatives 

its a joke 

my goodness just look at the party affiliation and donations 

• Thanks 2