Who Will Lead the B1G in Passing Yards?

Only four Big Ten quarterbacks crossed the 3,000-yard plateau last season -- and Tommy Armstrong is the only one who returns in 2016. That alone seems like a pretty solid reason to go with Armstrong. But there’s a lot more behind this pick.

For one, it’s not just about what team decides to throw the most. Illinois' Wes Lunt and Minnesota’s Mitch Leidner both finished with more passing attempts than Armstrong -- and completed a higher percentage of passes -- but Armstrong still threw for more yards. Why? He’s maybe the most aggressive quarterback in the conference, and that might be the biggest reason I’m choosing him this season. Only Connor Cook threw more passes that traveled at least 10 yards in the air, and no one threw downfield 20-plus yards more often than Armstrong. That makes me think that, even if Nebraska leans on the run more this season, Armstrong should still post some big numbers.
On top of all that, Armstrong boasts arguably the best receiving corps in the conference, including two wideouts who are among the Big Ten’s best at catching the deep ball. (Jordan Westerkamp caught 56.5 percent of targets that went 20-plus yards; Brandon Reilly caught 47.6 percent. The Power 5 average was 35.1 percent.) Nebraska should be a lot better this season, and ESPN.com’s K.C. Joyner is already calling the Huskers a dark horse when it comes to the College Football Playoff.

ESPN

I hope we do not. While I think we have the receivers to lead, I hope we aren't throwing that much to win the passing title. I hope UCLA will be the pattern - a good ground game, take advantage of TA's strength - his legs, use the control pass environment to loosen up the ground game -

• Fire 1

I hope we do not. While I think we have the receivers to lead, I hope we aren't throwing that much to win the passing title. I hope UCLA will be the pattern - a good ground game, take advantage of TA's strength - his legs, use the control pass environment to loosen up the ground game -

In the following scenario I hope we do -

Running game is so efficient that the opponent has to load the box. Play action TD passes of 40 - 60- 80 yards ensue.

I think Tommy Armstrong plays his best football by a substantial margin over his prior seasons. He will have the biggest and best QB numbers. AND, going way out on a limb here as you know I tend to do so frequently, I am sure most will disagree, I will predict further than Tommy is the All Big Ten QB and the Huskers play in the CCG.

At the same time, I will also predict our run game numbers improve substantially as well. As one would expect, the better the run game, the easier it will be to surpass in the pass game and vice versa. Better passing will beget easier running. Both feed each other and the result is a very strong offense which is very difficult to stop. We could well have a top ten ranked offense statistically (high scoring and high yards). It will be remarkable how much better we can be if this happens. Of course our O line has to gel and play much better, consistently.

I think Tommy Armstrong plays his best football by a substantial margin over his prior seasons. He will have the biggest and best QB numbers. AND, going way out on a limb here as you know I tend to do so frequently, I am sure most will disagree, I will predict further than Tommy is the All Big Ten QB and the Huskers play in the CCG.

At the same time, I will also predict our run game numbers improve substantially as well. As one would expect, the better the run game, the easier it will be to surpass in the pass game and vice versa. Better passing will beget easier running. Both feed each other and the result is a very strong offense which is very difficult to stop. We could well have a top ten ranked offense statistically (high scoring and high yards). It will be remarkable how much better we can be if this happens. Of course our O line has to gel and play much better, consistently.

:koolaid2: