BTN: B1G West Defensive Back Unit Rankings

2. Nebraska. This group looks good with three starters back. The corner duo of juniors Joshua Kalu and Chris Jones will be among the Big Ten’s best. They have size and can play the ball. Senior strong safety Nate Gerry is a heavy hitter with nine career picks who is a three-year starter. Sophomore Aaron Williams is penciled in at free safety with Byerson Cockrell gone. Keep an eye on incoming freshman Lamar Jackson, who will push for time.

BTN

A nice ranking for a unit that during the first half of last season struggled to say the least. Something seemed to click the later part of the season so I have hope that this unit will be improved going into the fall. I am really looking forward to see what Jackson brings to the table.

I think its funny that some on this board attributed our early season secondary issues to a lack of talent, they were disproven by the end of the year when this same group did a great job against a very talent UCLA group of receivers.

With a years experience in the scheme under their belts, and the additions of Jackson and the other good DB's coming off redshirt, this should be a fun unit to watch.

• Fire 1

I think its funny that some on this board attributed our early season secondary issues to a lack of talent, they were disproven by the end of the year when this same group did a great job against a very talent UCLA group of receivers.

With a years experience in the scheme under their belts, and the additions of Jackson and the other good DB's coming off redshirt, this should be a fun unit to watch.

Daniel Davies and Jonathan Rose didn't play at the end of the year so they're not wrong.
  • Fire 1

As talented as our guys may be, I doubt they have very good stats this year. We lost too much on the D-line for our DBs to shine. Show me a D-line that can stop the run and pressure the QB and I'll show you a group of DBs who look like All Americans.

Daniel Davies and Jonathan Rose didn't play at the end of the year so they're not wrong.

Yes and no, watching them both last year Davies was thinking to much and thus I don't think he got the scheme learned completely so he was playing slower than he might have.

And from what I read on here and else where Rose's problem was attitude related I think.

So yea, that right there explains the early season woes.

As talented as our guys may be, I doubt they have very good stats this year. We lost too much on the D-line for our DBs to shine. Show me a D-line that can stop the run and pressure the QB and I'll show you a group of DBs who look like All Americans.

I hate to say it, but this year we might see addition by subtraction with the DL. Buy in, motivated, new DL coach etc... A healthy and experienced LB group can help as well. I really expect us to look better overall on D. And this includes the DL.

I am still unsure if our DL was that good against the run or teams just passed a lot more as our pass D was so porous.

The DB's might be the strength of this D this year. They are the ones who I think will have benefited the most from another year in the system.

• Fire 1

Since when is giving up 320 yards 3 tds and a 65% completion percentage disproving anything of that nature?

• Fire 2

Since when is giving up 320 yards 3 tds and a 65% completion percentage disproving anything of that nature?

Against a QB who would've conceivably went #1 overall in this years draft as told by some pundits.

Against a QB who would've conceivably went #1 overall in this years draft as told by some pundits.

As told by Rod Gilmore and.........? Who?

Daniel Davie lit it up athletically at pro day - and had one of the best performances at a neutral NFL sponsored testing site nationwide - believe he also signed an FA contract. J. Rose was a consensus 4 star recruit, ranked 8th among CBs in his HS class. For perspective, his composite 247 ranking out of HS was higher than any of our current commits.

I hardly think athletic ability was the problem in the secondary last year.

Wait, what?

And frankly, none of our defensive coaches have much experience posting great defenses, especially at the DC position.

If we are going to throw players under the bus/scapegoat them, let's be very clear about the mediocre to less than mediocre record our coaches have posted during their careers.