Political Correctness Run Amok

A lot of this is publicity. The photo caused controversy, which gets her name in the spotlight. Then there's a furor driven by gossip magazines and her publicists, then she issues an apology and gets even more publicity. It's all intended to keep something in front of the public's eye - in this case, a celebrity. It's manufactured drama, best left to TMZ and their ilk.

Just absurd this woman felt she had to issue an official apology over this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kaley-cuoco-apologizes-for-offending-fans-with-4th-of-july-photo/

I expect Trump to come to her defense in 3....2....1.....

curious, why the Trump reference?

I'm guessing because he and the conservative party have made a point of talking about the horrors of "being PC" and that it's ruined the country.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kaley-cuoco-apologizes-for-offending-fans-with-4th-of-july-photo/

I'm guessing because he and the conservative party have made a point of talking about the horrors of "being PC" and that it's ruined the country.

That was last week Trump. This week Trump demands everyone, including Supreme Court Justices to remain above the fray and speak only out of the kindness of their hearts; otherwise, apologies must be issued. Or, is that only when comments are directed at him?

#Thin-skinnedTrump2016 #BuildTheWallAroundYourFeelings

That was last week Trump. This week Trump demands everyone, including Supreme Court Justices to remain above the fray and speak only out of the kindness of their hearts; otherwise, apologies must be issued. Or, is that only when comments are directed at him?

#Thin-skinnedTrump2016 #BuildTheWallAroundYourFeelings

Only when directed at him. Unless they're mexican and talking about muslims. Or if they're bimbos talking about the KKK. Or if they're gay and jewish and talking about a handicapped person.

Yep. I just find that group's inconsistencies pretty amusing.

That said, this was probably a bit of a publicity grab and there's an irony in her apology post technically violating the flag code.

It seems like she just genuinely thought it was a cute photo. The ugly backlash is not too surprising, but I'm not so conspirationally minded to assume she was trolling all along. Perhaps, though!

Good example of PC actually running off the rails, CM :) PC is a positive thing in itself; as an educational tool, it promotes empathy and respect, and teaches us to refrain from damaging cultural habits that have no particular value to begin with. We are zero degrees poorer for leaving "gay" and "retard" in the past, for example.

But in this case, the only gap in education is on the part of those loudly demanding their own variety of patriotic obsequence. Perhaps they should look for better ways to express their own love for country than to tearing down others who quite obviously also love the same country. And maybe, to be consumed with such jingoistic zeal is not entirely healthy.

There are times when it is appropriate and times it is way over used as an excuse to try to make someone stop doing something you don't want them to do....but is fully within their rights and not hurting you a bit.

Yes, the hypocrisy from groups as it pertains to "political correctness" is very interesting.

kaley-cuoco-4th-of-july-post-lead.jpg

This is much ado about nothing. OTOH, she's an idiot. What normal person would pose their dogs on a flag for a photo? Who puts flags on the ground in the first place?

@NUance -- I might not have given too much thought to putting a flag on the ground!

I get that it's a bad thing by tradition and convention. But I don't really have these conventions internalized. If I had dogs, and a flag, and I wanted a picture to show off both, decorating on and around the dogs would've seemed like a pretty normal way to frame the shot -- without someone right there telling me that this was sacrilege, that is.

There are times when it is appropriate and times it is way over used as an excuse to try to make someone stop doing something you don't want them to do....but is fully within their rights and not hurting you a bit.

Yes, the hypocrisy from groups as it pertains to "political correctness" is very interesting.

I think that's a great distinction, BRB. Plenty of examples where it's used as a bludgeoning instrument and not as a positive learning tool.

There are two ways to go about it. One is "That was a bad. This is why. And now you know!" The other, somewhat more popular one: "You are bad. Go to hell." :/