Future of the Republican Party

As a life long Republican till a couple years ago, I found this article very interesting.

LINK

CLEVELAND — Avik Roy is a Republican’s Republican. A health care wonk and editor at Forbes, he has worked for three Republican presidential hopefuls — Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio. Much of his adult life has been dedicated to advancing the Republican Party and conservative ideals.

But when I caught up with Roy at a bar just outside the Republican convention, he said something I’ve never heard from an establishment conservative before: The Grand Old Party is going to die.

“I don’t think the Republican Party and the conservative movement are capable of reforming themselves in an incremental and gradual way,” he said. “There’s going to be a disruption.”

Roy isn’t happy about this: He believes it means the Democrats will dominate national American politics for some time. But he also believes the Republican Party has lost its right to govern, because it is driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.

“Until the conservative movement can stand up and live by that principle, it will not have the moral authority to lead the country,” he told me.

• Fire 2

As a life long Republican till a couple years ago, I found this article very interesting.

LINK

CLEVELAND Avik Roy is a Republicans Republican. A health care wonk and editor at Forbes, he has worked for three Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio. Much of his adult life has been dedicated to advancing the Republican Party and conservative ideals.

But when I caught up with Roy at a bar just outside the Republican convention, he said something Ive never heard from an establishment conservative before: The Grand Old Party is going to die.

I dont think the Republican Party and the conservative movement are capable of reforming themselves in an incremental and gradual way, he said. Theres going to be a disruption.

Roy isnt happy about this: He believes it means the Democrats will dominate national American politics for some time. But he also believes the Republican Party has lost its right to govern, because it is driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.

Until the conservative movement can stand up and live by that principle, it will not have the moral authority to lead the country, he told me.

And there are countless stories and anecdotes about Democrats who feel their party has left them and they have joined the GOP. As is the case with the economy and business in general, political parties go through cycles of ups and downs. In 2004 and 2005 many were writing the obituary for the Democratic party and they won the midterms in 2006 and the Presidency in 2008 and 2012. It is true the GOP must reach out to new voters, and I never would have expected Trump to do it, but he is making the strongest effort toward LGBT and other minorities than any GOP candidate I have ever seen. If he didnt turn off so many voters with his crazy statements he would win this election in a landslide.

I would love to see the argument that connects the Koch brothers to Trump. They oppose most, if not all, of his policies (to the extent we can even discern his policies).

I don't know if there is a connection - I was addressing the future of the Republican Party, not this year's election.

The point is, it's hard to argue the Republican Party is bought by rich Americans when none of its rich donors support Trump.

This time. The DNC did everything they could and succeded in getting Clinton. The RNC did everything they could and couldn't stop Trump. The party is owned but things don't always go their way.

If you can't make a presidential nomination go your way, then you don't own the party.

In fact, I don't think a Koch brother sponsored candidate was even in play during most of the nomination process. If anything, they are probably pulling for the libertarian.

LINK

CLEVELAND Avik Roy is a Republicans Republican. A health care wonk and editor at Forbes, he has worked for three Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio. Much of his adult life has been dedicated to advancing the Republican Party and conservative ideals.

But when I caught up with Roy at a bar just outside the Republican convention, he said something Ive never heard from an establishment conservative before: The Grand Old Party is going to die.

I dont think the Republican Party and the conservative movement are capable of reforming themselves in an incremental and gradual way, he said. Theres going to be a disruption.

Roy isnt happy about this: He believes it means the Democrats will dominate national American politics for some time. But he also believes the Republican Party has lost its right to govern, because it is driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.

Until the conservative movement can stand up and live by that principle, it will not have the moral authority to lead the country, he told me.

And there are countless stories and anecdotes about Democrats who feel their party has left them and they have joined the GOP. As is the case with the economy and business in general, political parties go through cycles of ups and downs. In 2004 and 2005 many were writing the obituary for the Democratic party and they won the midterms in 2006 and the Presidency in 2008 and 2012. It is true the GOP must reach out to new voters, and I never would have expected Trump to do it, but he is making the strongest effort toward LGBT and other minorities than any GOP candidate I have ever seen. If he didnt turn off so many voters with his crazy statements he would win this election in a landslide.

I'm actually not surprised at this because he isn't a Republican and he never has been up until he all of a sudden wanted to run for President. He opposed many of their policies that Republicans hold very close to their hearts and he actually thinks Hillary would make a great President.

Actually, there are some things he has said in the past that I wish the republicans would listen to. If it weren't coming from an egotistical fraud, I might actually vote for the guy.

The funny thing is, so many of his followers (that I know personally anyway) would have NEVER voted for someone who has some of his stances on issues....but.....hey....he has an R in front of his name now so he must be our savior in a suit.

LINK

The Democrat party survived because they were able to learn from their mistakes and change. In the quote I posted, it says what they need to do to survive and then he basically says he believes they aren't going to succeed. I tend to agree with him.

The Republican party is basically the party for angry old white men. Sure, there are a few here and there from other groups. But, the vast majority of they base is exactly how I stated it.

Until they get past that, they won't succeed. They can come up with what ever attack and fear mongering campaign they want, most Americans are going to stay way.

Right now between Dems, Repubs and Independents, they are the smallest group. That's not conducive to winning too many national elections.

The only ones claiming the Republican party is somehow 'history' are the liberals who of course hope somehow that the country will somehow confuse Hillary for something appoaching a 'leader' or worthy of anything except a prison cell. She is nothing but a pathelogical liar and a lifelong criminal. The political and social damage the Clintons have done to America is beyond description.

There is no doubt the Republican party as it has been known over the past 15 years is a thing of the past. The establishment types are on the way out and the howling you hear are from those insiders who have been RINOs and Democrats in fact. A solid 60% of the country has had more than enough of the Bush/Clinton crap. The dissatisfaction people expressed in the primaries has certainly not subsided. Look at the protests and the obvious division in the Dem convention is a clear demonstration of this. The Dems think that dumping Debbie Blabbermouth Shultz will 'fix' the gaping scism. Not a chance! Hillary should be feeling the Bern! The proof through another Hillary email scandal is out there for all to see. LOL The Clintons and the national Dem party insiders thought they could rig the election. This will not go away. Crazy Bernie is doing his best to attempt to tamp down the rage but his supporters are not loyal to him - rather for his ideas and political poppycock! The radicals have no clue but they are pissed. It's fun to watch.

The only ones claiming the Republican party is somehow 'history' are the liberals who of course hope somehow that the country will somehow confuse Hillary for something appoaching a 'leader' or worthy of anything except a prison cell.

I read this far and there was no need to read any farther. You obviously didn't read the article and who was quoted in the article.