Future of the Republican Party

Is the Democrat party really much more diverse than the Republican? They SAY they are, but are they really?

Let me ask you this. Other than white men, what minority is more likely to be a Republican than a Democrat.

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

BTW...this is a serious question. I've thought about this a lot. I guess you could say Christians. I'm not sure Jewish people would be Republican. Anyone????

I see your point but, minority groups being fooled and played by a political party is hardly evidence that said party is really any better for them. Sure, the Dems pickup more of those minority groups but the real question is, should they?

I'm not sure how any sensible adult could blindly support either party any more.

Great point. I never will understand blacks voting for Dems at a 95% rate...especially given that black lives are not better under Obama. The Dems are great at identity politics and racial and class warfare which is why Obama has not done more to address the racial divisions in this country. With the white vote shrinking, he wants to do everything possible to maximize the minority vote.

Sure....I would agree with that. However, what have the Repubs done to go after those votes? At least someone on the Dems side TALKS to them and actually acts concerned about their issues.

Instead, if you met a KKK member, which party is he most likely to belong to?

Is the Democrat party really much more diverse than the Republican? They SAY they are, but are they really?

Let me ask you this. Other than white men, what minority is more likely to be a Republican than a Democrat.

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

BTW...this is a serious question. I've thought about this a lot. I guess you could say Christians. I'm not sure Jewish people would be Republican. Anyone????

I see your point but, minority groups being fooled and played by a political party is hardly evidence that said party is really any better for them. Sure, the Dems pickup more of those minority groups but the real question is, should they?

I'm not sure how any sensible adult could blindly support either party any more.

Great point. I never will understand blacks voting for Dems at a 95% rate...especially given that black lives are not better under Obama. The Dems are great at identity politics and racial and class warfare which is why Obama has not done more to address the racial divisions in this country. With the white vote shrinking, he wants to do everything possible to maximize the minority vote.

Sure....I would agree with that. However, what have the Repubs done to go after those votes? At least someone on the Dems side TALKS to them and actually acts concerned about their issues.

Historically, a KKK member would usually be a democrat....

The Republican Party of bob dole, for example, is dead for better or worse.

Traditional fiscal republicans (or "reason based" republicans) will move toward classical liberalism or even libertarianism.

The social conservatives and right wing populists will either retain the GOP naming convention or come up with some other name.

But the bottom line is that those two groups of interests simply can't find enough common ground to present a coherent platform that qualifies as a party.

It's simply untenable.

The good thing is that a rise is classical liberalism (not the progressivism that permeates the DNC) will be good for the country.

• Fire 1

Yes....historically....meaning a very long time ago.

Those were the Southern Democrats that opposed equal rights and desegregation.

However, I'm talking about today. A KKK member of today....which party is he a member of? Hint.....Who is David Duke endorsing?

Good posts, JJ and cm.

The Democrats lost the South gradually but sweepingly after the significant controversy of the Civil Rights movement split the party in two.

I look forward to a day when we might have smaller, nimbler parties forming more overt, and more flexible coalitions. We don't typically think of either party as a stable coalition of interests, but that's what they are, and in the current setup it's really hard to see movement. It's not that easy for a fiscal conservative to abandon the racism of the modern GOP when the only other viable alternative is embedded in union and labor interests, for example.

To get there in a healthy way, opinions vary, but I tend to lean towards the 'let the GOP burn' model. :)

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

If u watched the RNC last week there was plenty of outreach to blacks and minorities...it needs to continue though

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

If u watched the RNC last week there was plenty of outreach to blacks and minorities...it needs to continue though

Conventions mean absolutely nothing.

• Fire 1

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

Oh come on!

• Fire 1
The GOP is too embedded in soft -- now overt -- white nationalism. They backed themselves into this corner and dug deep; now, they're finding too many of their coalition don't care about the conservative values they've tried to uphold.

I understand that it's honestly distressing to face the disruption of no longer being the demographic majority, and moreover, losing the monolithic grips over all major culture and institutions in a country that formerly "belonged", in a real sense, to you. I can see why a nativist political movement would form to defend or go back to those halcyon days of yore.

But then, by definition, it's going to be rather exclusionary. Conservative values should have broad appeal to plenty of minority groups. The fact that the GOP isn't about that is now being fully unmasked.

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

Conventions mean absolutely nothing.

BRB - that is conventional consensus

• Fire 1

Yes....historically....meaning a very long time ago.

Those were the Southern Democrats that opposed equal rights and desegregation.

However, I'm talking about today. A KKK member of today....which party is he a member of? Hint.....Who is David Duke endorsing?

I assume we are summarily excluding the racists within the DNC that were exchanging emails....?

But okay, I'll give it to ya, David Duke is endorsing Trump. An endorsement he should've loudly rejected.

Personally I feel racism is a problem that affects individuals and not necessarily political groups. There are limitless groupings of people and some people are members of some groups and not others. About the only thing you can say about racists is, some people are and hopefully most aren't. I would attribute the notion that dems are more pro minority to the fact that they have recently played the game much better than the repubs. And, as zoogs has pointed out, today's GOP is but a shadow of what I think the Republican party should be. It got hijacked and lost its way. There really is no place for a fiscal conservative/social moderate to call home.

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

REALLY? You don't understand it?

You've got a party figurehead like Rudy Giuliani (and a hell of a lot other angry old white guys) up there saying things like "Black Lives Matter is inherently racist" and you can't comprehend why black people wouldn't fall in line?

Not blacks

Not women

Not hispanics

Not young people

Not gay people

.....etc.

REALLY? You don't understand it?

You've got a party figurehead like Rudy Giuliani (and a hell of a lot other angry old white guys) up there saying things like "Black Lives Matter is inherently racist" and you can't comprehend why black people wouldn't fall in line?

And honestly, the republican party claims that black lives are no better under Obama ... I don't know a black person that has said that. Not one.