Finally Going to Lincoln

life long husker fan-long time husker board lurker, first post. been following the cornhuskers since i was a kid. always looked forward to the day after thanksgiving to watch nebraska and oklahoma. just an old west coast guy that hates the forward pass and bleeds big red. fast forward to today-starting to cross off my bucket list items and will finally be coming to memorial stadium to watch a game. already scored game tickets in the west stadium outdoor club section (paid thru the nose, but i'm gonna do it right). anyways, any tips on attending my first game in lincoln? i'll be there for the homecoming game against illinois.

can't wait to get there!

and thank you all for having this forum...i visit here daily.

I am in the same boat, but on the East Coast. Although I have been to away games out here, I hope to finally go to Lincoln next fall. Enjoy!

Flying in tommorrow. What time does the stadium open? Also, which side of the stadium has the TO-berringer statue?

Thank you-can't wait!!

The statue is outside the entrance to the North Stadium lobby. Inside you'll find all the bowl/championship trophies, the Heisman room, etc., and if you go on a Friday you can probably get a tour that will take you through the weight room as well.

Also, I think the north stadium lobby is where the beautiful "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football" is in the lobby. It's a great photo.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's in East stadium.

I'm sure you're right - can't say I'm ever in a frame of mind on game day to know east from north.

And, I'd never shoot.

all i can say is wow. my visit to lincoln was beyond what i would have imagined. first off, lemme apologize for being long winded, so let me explain.

i grew up in california as a cornhusker fan. i know, how the hell did that happen. well, i was brought up by an uncle that believed in running the football, so i chose Nebraska. i watched them since i was about 5, so that would be 1959. i always wanted to see a game in Lincoln. fast forward to last weekend.

flew in from oregon, drove down from omaha and arrived in lincoln around 1000. as soon as i got outta my rental car, i was surrounded by husker fans wanting to know why i was there and then, after explaining why i was there, everyone was so nice! first some background. i came from the left coast. i was a 49er season ticket holder way back in the late 70's. i went thru the 2-14 years, but also went to a super bowl in 82. back out at candlestick, we brawled with rams fans all the time. we cheered injuries to the visiting teams, we burned visiting teams fans jerseys, etc. we were animals, and we were as%holes. we drank like idiots, we tailgated like there was no tomorrow.

then, i rolled into parking lot 13. we were swept away by people that just wanted to understand how some west coast idiot could have been lured by the cornhusker mystic. i explained to everyone how i loved to watch nebraska run all over oklahoma every thanksgiving weekend. and that i hated the forward pass, and that i loved tom osborne and shared all the nebraska history back to my early days. the welcome i got from you guys couldn't have been warmer. everyone there was eager to know i was there for a bucket list. then, i went down to the haymarket. what a blast. we went to buzzard billy's and had lunch there. having the band come thru while we were eating was great. we headed to the book store to spent a shi$load of money on husker gear and headed to the stadium.

now i have to tell you, i am 61 and when i got to the north end of the stadium, i cried like baby-i could see it! i was finally gonna be there. i wanted to get to the area where the statue of tom & brook were. i found it and took a ton of pics. another misty eye time for me. then, on to the game. i had ducats to the club section so we went up the escalators to there. i walked in and started crying like a kid. i had finally made it to memorial stadium. what a place-i could not believe i was here! i'm sure you locals might understand what hallowed ground this really is. IAC, i watched a great game. i left there knowing I will be back again. the nebraska fans are the elite. until you come here, you would never understand. these are the best fans in the country. your venue is special. your team is special. your town is special. you guys get it.

i will be back soon. i am already making plans for the game vs oklahoma in 2022, if i make it that far.

here's to you, big red fans! you are the best!

• Fire 5

This is awesome, 3gun. I'm sure it was kind of a surreal experience to walk into the stadium for your first time. So cool to hear your of your experience.

It's funny, being from Lincoln and living here all my life - I never really thought about people who cheered for Nebraska that were outside of the Midwest when I was little. Didn't even cross my mind that it was "a thing." It really wasn't even until the age of internet message boards that I interacted with awesome fans like you. This is YOUR team, my man. So cool to hear about how you've cheered for Nebraska all your life. Awesome story.

My mother-in-law isn't from here and has never been to a game. As much as it potentially sucks to hang with your mother-in-law...I'm taking her to her first game for Minnesota. I can't wait for her to see it in person.

all i can say is wow. my visit to lincoln was beyond what i would have imagined. first off, lemme apologize for being long winded, so let me explain.

i grew up in california as a cornhusker fan. i know, how the hell did that happen. well, i was brought up by an uncle that believed in running the football, so i chose Nebraska. i watched them since i was about 5, so that would be 1959. i always wanted to see a game in Lincoln. fast forward to last weekend.

flew in from oregon, drove down from omaha and arrived in lincoln around 1000. as soon as i got outta my rental car, i was surrounded by husker fans wanting to know why i was there and then, after explaining why i was there, everyone was so nice! first some background. i came from the left coast. i was a 49er season ticket holder way back in the late 70's. i went thru the 2-14 years, but also went to a super bowl in 82. back out at candlestick, we brawled with rams fans all the time. we cheered injuries to the visiting teams, we burned visiting teams fans jerseys, etc. we were animals, and we were as%holes. we drank like idiots, we tailgated like there was no tomorrow.

then, i rolled into parking lot 13. we were swept away by people that just wanted to understand how some west coast idiot could have been lured by the cornhusker mystic. i explained to everyone how i loved to watch nebraska run all over oklahoma every thanksgiving weekend. and that i hated the forward pass, and that i loved tom osborne and shared all the nebraska history back to my early days. the welcome i got from you guys couldn't have been warmer. everyone there was eager to know i was there for a bucket list. then, i went down to the haymarket. what a blast. we went to buzzard billy's and had lunch there. having the band come thru while we were eating was great. we headed to the book store to spent a shi$load of money on husker gear and headed to the stadium.

now i have to tell you, i am 61 and when i got to the north end of the stadium, i cried like baby-i could see it! i was finally gonna be there. i wanted to get to the area where the statue of tom & brook were. i found it and took a ton of pics. another misty eye time for me. then, on to the game. i had ducats to the club section so we went up the escalators to there. i walked in and started crying like a kid. i had finally made it to memorial stadium. what a place-i could not believe i was here! i'm sure you locals might understand what hallowed ground this really is. IAC, i watched a great game. i left there knowing I will be back again. the nebraska fans are the elite. until you come here, you would never understand. these are the best fans in the country. your venue is special. your team is special. your town is special. you guys get it.

i will be back soon. i am already making plans for the game vs oklahoma in 2022, if i make it that far.

Glad to hear you had such a great time!!!

Whenever I walk up the ramp and see the crowd I always think of that scene in "Rudy" where Rudy's dad sees the Notre Dame stadium for the first time. "This is the most beautiful site these eyes have ever seen" (Granted I know it's Rudy and ND and I'm sure some folks on here will be all URGGH EFF NOTRE LAME, but relax, I'm making a point) That emotion is brilliantly captured on film.

I admittedly get a little teary eyed every so often during a game. It can definitely stir all kinds of emotions, thoughts and memories. You think back to the first game your dad took you to, the first girl who you took a game to, the friend you went with and cheered like crazy as NU beat OU. You imagine the ghosts of coaches, players and past games happening on the field that lays right before you. Truly a special place.

3gun - these are wonderful words, but YOU'RE ONE OF US! Even though you lived on the coast you figured it out long ago! I'm just so psyched you had a good day and a good game. I'm not shocked that it lived up to your expectations - it's truly a very special place. Stocked you got to experience it for yourself.