What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Against Wyoming:

Nebraska ran 43 times for 138 yards

Nebraska passed 35 times for 412 yards

Nebraska was 8 of 14 on Third Down Conversions

You'd never guess that -- or the final score -- from this thread.

I think some lose sight of the fact that you don't have to play well enough to beat Ohio State every week.

While that is true, it sure would be nice if we did. :)

Against Wyoming:

Nebraska ran 43 times for 138 yards

Nebraska passed 35 times for 412 yards

Nebraska was 8 of 14 on Third Down Conversions

You'd never guess that -- or the final score -- from this thread.

I think some lose sight of the fact that you don't have to play well enough to beat Ohio State every week.

Or that the running game can be working better one week, and the passing game can be working better another.

And that's not necessarily football Armageddon.

• Fire 1

Nebraska football in its simplest form:

1. Power running to set up the pass.

2. Option out of multiple sets so that they dont know when the option is coming.

3. Use the fullback

4. Bone crushing run first pressure defense.

5. Receivers will block, QB will never run out of bounds, we will always stay in bounds and fight for the extra yard.

My philosophy is the next time we get 1st and goal from the 4, we send Langs to get a big red Fairbury hotdog and let Tommy call his own play.

Remember the two times last year Langsdorf called for Tommy to tuck and run, and Tommy mysteriously chose to throw the ball at a confused receiver?

What two times? I remember one time where all sorts of signals were crossed and the receiver sure appeared to be expecting a pass - and the blocking sure seem to look like the OL expected pass.

2. Option out of multiple sets so that they dont know when the option is coming.

3. Use the fullback

5. Receivers will block, QB will never run out of bounds, we will always stay in bounds and fight for the extra yard.

My philosophy is the next time we get 1st and goal from the 4, we send Langs to get a big red Fairbury hotdog and let Tommy call his own play.

Remember the two times last year Langsdorf called for Tommy to tuck and run, and Tommy mysteriously chose to throw the ball at a confused receiver?

What two times? I remember one time where all sorts of signals were crossed and the receiver sure appeared to be expecting a pass - and the blocking sure seem to look like the OL expected pass.

Illinois and UCLA. Essentially the same play in similar third down situations.

3. Use the fullback

So you start with the biggest, nastiest down linemen you can find, and the rest falls out of that.

3. Use the fullback

I would disagree that this is the only style of football that can be called "Nebraska Football". Maybe I'd call it Classic Nebraska Football instead.

Why can't "Nebraska Football" be whatever the current coaching staff brings to us?

I really don't think Riley and Langsdorf will be going away from a balanced offense...ever. So, I dunno about anyone else, but I'm gonna hang on and enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.

• Fire 2

3. Use the fullback

So you start with the biggest, nastiest down linemen you can find, and the rest falls out of that.

Sounds like a recipe for success for any offense. :)

After watching the game for the first time, I thought Wyoming played very well for its calibre. They actually hung with Nebraska until towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Some of the passes teams throw at us (and execute) are all very similar. Bootleg to the wide side, hit the deep out. Or quick slant off the blitzing backer. They had a lot of success; the TOs were not all Josh Allen's fault.

Oregon is going to be very tough if they take it to the air.

3. Use the fullback

This is a perfect example of someone who doesnt understand how a game evolves and changes, and that there is more than on way to get it done. There's this false perception that Osborne and Devaney ran the exact same system for 35 years and it never changed, and that since the two systems we've ran since have not resulted in success, that that perceived untouched system is the only way. When the fact is first off, Devaney and Osborne adjusted their way numerous times. Sometimes noticeable the casual fan, and sometimes not. And 2nd, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Quit being enamored with this idea that there's only one way Nebraska can win. Our issues preventing us from being where we want to be the last 15 years goes far and beyond the particular offensiive design or system. In fact, that's probably in the middle of the list, if not towards the bottom.

Should Oklahoma still be running the wishbone and only passing 3 times a game? I mean, cmon folks. Its 2016.

• Fire 4

I think that everybody is aware that coaches make adjustments to their offense and defense. The philosophy of a physical running game stayed throughout.

Wisconsin is living proof that it still works in today's college game. Yes I'm aware that Wisconsin throws the ball but the foundation of their offense is physical running with a dominating line. One could argue that outside of Russell Wilson that are getting it done with worse QB play than we are.