What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

I think that everybody is aware that coaches make adjustments to their offense and defense. The philosophy of a physical running game stayed throughout.

Wisconsin is living proof that it still works in today's college game. Yes I'm aware that Wisconsin throws the ball but the foundation of their offense is physical running with a dominating line. One could argue that outside of Russell Wilson that are getting it done with worse QB play than we are.

I gotcha . youre not wrong. But there' just more than one way to get it done. My point is when we struggle, folks wanna blame the offense and the whole "we need power run back. We need the option back". And there's this copout mentality of "we cant get the players to run x, y, and z systems". Which is bullsh#t, cuz these guys have already identified who they want for their comfort zone, an dthey went and got em, from qb's, to recievers, to protection and backs and coverage. So that notion has been axed.

• Fire 2

People keep saying "there's more than one way to get it done" and "we need the ability to be all things at all times on offense, so we can switch it up when needed."

The reality is that there is very little evidence that those statements are true at Nebraska. Similar to a Baylor or Oregon or many other "just below tier one talent" programs, the differentiator will be scheme. And a "balanced" scheme that employs a vanilla rushing attack won't be a differentiator and will not consistently win in the way Husker fans hope to.

• Fire 1

The reality is that we had two coaches that were very successful and they were in control of a large portion of what the current fan remembers as NU football. The factors during those 35 years lead to winning the trenches with ease hence a more controlled ground game - as mentioned thou they both were wise enough to know when to use the forward pass more often. There is also plenty of evidence that the forward pass works at NU and every other school in division 1 football. I'm sure MR and company will find the right blend of both.

Yes I'm aware that Wisconsin throws the ball but the foundation of their offense is physical running with a dominating line. One could argue that outside of Russell Wilson that are getting it done with worse QB play than we are.

I'm not calling you out on this. But I'd say Wisconsin really doesn't stand much of a chance to consistently beat Ohio State, Michigan State, and probably not even Michigan at this point. They've "gotten it done" recently because they play in a division that sucks, and haven't had to play those three teams very often for their cross-divisional games in recent seasons.

They play all three of those teams this season, and I'd put money on them losing all three. Until they recruit a significantly above average quarterback who can also have slightly above average receivers to throw to, they're not winning any conference titles any time soon.

So with that said, I don't want to be Wisconsin, because Wisconsin really isn't that good. Have we generally been their whipping boy so far in the B1G? Yes. But they're not an elite program, and I'd never settle for aspiring to just trying to duplicate their "power run" offense just for the sake of Nebraska nostalgia, identity, or because it would actually tangibly bring us more success than bringing in a bunch of four star quarterback recruits, more great receivers, backs like Tre Bryant and really running a high-octane, balanced offense.

-We learned that Tommy must have given the Wyoming qb a pep talk before halftime

-Our ST is bad and it could be a big factor next game

-ST needs someone helping Reid out cause he looks looks worse than 2013 Nebraska ST punt return unit

-Run defense is a strength and should help us next game

-The secondary cannot give up big plays next week

-Tommy looked good but needs to learn to throw the ball out of Memorial when any defender is blocking his view or when no one is open and he is getting pressured

-We need more runs than passes next week to beat Oregon, to wear them down and run clock

-The secondary is looking confident and that is only a good thing heading into this season

-Penalties might cost us a few games if we don't clean them up

-We learned that this coaching staff has a big emphasis on finishing games, this is the reason our team has exploded into the fourth quarter

Its like you read my mind. The only things I might add.....the secondary does look more confident, but being consistent and reliable is still to be proven. We should know more after the Oregon game. Our special teams are REALLY bad. What makes that sting a bit more is that we have a full time ST coordinator. However, our punting gets a temporary free pass in my book for obvious reasons.

Wisconsin isn't my model becuase I like what the mobile QB causes a defense to have to do, but to pretend they are 3 yards and a cloud of dust becuase the are a run oriented team displays a serious misunderstanding of that kind of system. It can be quite "high octane."

It has seen flashes of "high octane" against the ever-schizophrenic-in-big-games Bo Pelini, yes. No doubt.

Can it do much to put enough points on the board to be able to beat Ohio State, Michigan State, or Michigan this season? It's possible, but I seriously doubt it.

I'm envious of the three conference titles. Really envious.

One of those conference titles came though when Ohio State was possibly the best team in the country but was ineligible to go to Indy.

I just honestly don't see them keeping up with the arms race of recruiting and coaching at Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan though. They'll dominate us and our division if Riley and Banker can't really put things together - no doubt. But I do see a big drop-off in Wisconsin's level of success if D'Antonio, Harbaugh, and Meyer hang around for any real length of time.

BRV - I completely agree that we currently don't compare.

Again, my point: We'll see how their "power run offense" does against Meyer, D'Antonio, and Harbaugh. I don't see Wisconsin winning conference titles any time soon. And it's not because they don't field good defenses - It's because their offenses usually don't score many points in big games.