OWH: Huskers Need Run Game to Beat Ducks

Mavric

It's important for Oz to get rolling like he did against Fresno, and I think he will. If not, it's good to know we have a lot of creative ways to get other players/positions involved with the run game. So it's not all or nothing with one guy.

Agreed on both points.

I'll take it a step further and say that it's even more important for us to run the ball well on first down specifically.

I loved having Roy, Rex, and Ameer, but you bring up an important point in that our run game can come from many different players. I hope to see Cethan Carter make another appearance on an end around, or in any other way honestly. I think they will give DPE more chances on the jet sweep this week too, especially since Reilly injured his hamstring against Wyoming.

We need to hit the 200 yards rushing mark. Our last loss where we hit the 200 yard mark was against #5 Georgia in the Cap One bowl in 2013. Since then, we are 15-0 when hitting over 200.

Agreedif we had the personnel, that is. We have a wealth of RBs. Two, maybe three, who could start for most teams in the nation. But I'm not sure we have the O-line to be a great running team. I think that's why Langs is always dialing up slant bubbles, jet sweeps and other gimmick plays. JMHO.

I look forward to the days when we have an O-line that can push people around again. And we can impose our will on teams with our running game. I just don't think we're there right now. :dunno:

Luckily our offense got to run more than 2 plays during the game!!!

and; gained 500 yards

We've had two games. One where we ran it all game at will, and the other, where we were balanced in terms of play selection, yet the run wasnt working, so we slinged all over the yard at will. Im failing to see the problem here. I'd be much more concerned if saturday we came out and pounded 80% of the time again, and we'd be going into this week not having a clue what we have in the passing game. But what we found out is that is plenty serviceable. I'm actually encouraged. We are capable of doing either or.

A game is 60 minutes. To judge anything off the first 2 plays is pushing it. Not to mention, it was probably scripted anyway.

I agree, and I'm not judging on the first 2 plays. I just see this a lot - when we run, it's like the defense knows we will, are aligned as such, and vice-versa for the pass. I understand the scripting as well, but I would see value in giving Tommy a simple zone right/left check if we out-man them. It was kind of the same with Watson and Beck - we would fake to Burkhead/Ameer, and no one bite on it, like they know we aren't giving it. If the quarterback can see they're laying off, why not a quick check to a run? The blocking seems almost the same on running plays anyway.

My point also stands on our OL technique and effectiveness. They have a long way to go if we're going to be elite up front - that's not an opinion, either.

It's important for Oz to get rolling like he did against Fresno, and I think he will. If not, it's good to know we have a lot of creative ways to get other players/positions involved with the run game. So it's not all or nothing with one guy.

Or if the coaches treat him like Newby...he'll average 5 YPC with 4 carries and then be benched the rest of the game while other running backs are fed the rock and average far less.

With Newby I think it's less about carries and more about touches. I think the sweet spot for him is about 15. Maybe 8-10 carries and 5-7 receptions per game.

I agree he probably should have seen more touches against Wyoming, but I don't think he was benched exactly. He was in on quite a few plays where he didn't get the ball.

If Ozigbo gets rolling I hope he gets about 30 carries in big games.

• Fire 1

Attn Mike Riley:

U C L A Gameplan

That is all.

Yep, Power football for sixty minutes and they can win.

Keep the Ducks offense off the field and do not let them get in rhythm. Langsdorf needs to have the OL lean on their D and just pound them.

My fear is he will panic and start going for the big play, and NU will get lots of quick three and outs. Then Oregon will roll NU. Their speed will be hard to match. The thought of Banderas running sideline to sideline make me want to start drinking now.

• Fire 2

As much as folks want to slight Bohl (for reasons obvious to us), we knew we wouldn't get anything easy on the ground from his kids--he knew going in to Lincoln he'd have to stop the run to have a chance, and he did just that for three quarters.

Now, here's the kicker--Virginia was able to get good yards on the ground against Oregon, even when the Ducks were stacking the box. The same Virginia school that lost to the Richmond Spiders at home (it's okay, we lost to Richmond at home too...in Baseball though). And I'd say we have at least two RBs better than their starting RB, and our O-Line should be better.

That's a bold statement. Royce Freeman is probably in the Top 5 this year for RB's. He is averaging like 9 YPC. There defense is not very good, but they still have some weapons that can hurt you & they can do it quickly.

Luckily our offense got to run more than 2 plays during the game!!!

and; gained 500 yards

We've had two games. One where we ran it all game at will, and the other, where we were balanced in terms of play selection, yet the run wasnt working, so we slinged all over the yard at will. Im failing to see the problem here. I'd be much more concerned if saturday we came out and pounded 80% of the time again, and we'd be going into this week not having a clue what we have in the passing game. But what we found out is that is plenty serviceable. I'm actually encouraged. We are capable of doing either or.

A game is 60 minutes. To judge anything off the first 2 plays is pushing it. Not to mention, it was probably scripted anyway.

I agree, and I'm not judging on the first 2 plays. I just see this a lot - when we run, it's like the defense knows we will, are aligned as such, and vice-versa for the pass. I understand the scripting as well, but I would see value in giving Tommy a simple zone right/left check if we out-man them. It was kind of the same with Watson and Beck - we would fake to Burkhead/Ameer, and no one bite on it, like they know we aren't giving it. If the quarterback can see they're laying off, why not a quick check to a run? The blocking seems almost the same on running plays anyway.

My point also stands on our OL technique and effectiveness. They have a long way to go if we're going to be elite up front - that's not an opinion, either.

I had to watch some more film last night out of curiousity, since i like to knwo what I'm talking about and all, and youre pretty right. lots of basically straight ahead stuff. Even our jet motions, and read option/rpo stuff doesnt really incorporate much and trap and power technique. And I'm curious why that is? It has to be in the book i'm sure. I was enamored with a lot of our misdirection stuff from the jets and such, and assumed our basic running was incorporating the same. This is curious to me to see where we go as competition ramps up.

Oline techniqu? yeah. its inconsistent. Even against loaded philosophy saturday, we missed a lot blocks. Effort to run the ball was there. Effort to execute the running game seemed to lack.

• Fire 1