Stadium atmosphere

I don't even like Hip Hop and I'm begging to love that song.

When did they start playing that song? Every time I heard it come on Sirius/XM radio, I quickly changed the channel. I may have to rethink that now

We tried to make a thing out of it in 2012 after being exposed to the madness that is Wisconsin's 'Jump Around' and the football team wanting their own similar thing. Unfortunately, the execution was pretty botched by them changing the BPM and having the band start the beginning of the song, so it never really took off. Then last season we tried it again, and cemented it into place by playing it after Janovich's touchdown against Wisconsin.

I don't even like Hip Hop and I'm begging to love that song.

When did they start playing that song? Every time I heard it come on Sirius/XM radio, I quickly changed the channel. I may have to rethink that now

We tried to make a thing out of it in 2012 after being exposed to the madness that is Wisconsin's 'Jump Around' and the football team wanting their own similar thing. Unfortunately, the execution was pretty botched by them changing the BPM and having the band start the beginning of the song, so it never really took off. Then last season we tried it again, and cemented it into place by playing it after Janovich's touchdown against Wisconsin.

Gotchya! Sounds like it finally took hold. The stadium was rocking!

Let me throw this out there as a thought I had last night.

I remember going to games in the 80s while I was in college (yes, I remember most of them). I also have gone to games most years since.

Looking back to those years, I don't remember the stadium being like it has been at some games the last few years. In the 80s and 90s, we had fans that would sit there with their arms crossed with the attitude...."well...this is what we should be doing"...while having headphones on listening to the radio. Sure, the crowd would get sort of loud for certain plays...but, even in big games, I don't remember the stadium just rock'n.

So, comparing it to now.....is part of the change the fact the fans are pumped up and excited for success? When a team like Oregon comes in, we don't sit thereon our duffs and just think....well...we should be winning anyway. We get loud...we get excited...we get pumped up....because you know what? We might not win...and dang it's exciting when we do.

I must say...I love winning and want to keep winning. But, this is a hell of a lot more fun atmosphere in the stadium.

I remember going to games in the 80s while I was in college (yes, I remember most of them). I also have gone to games most years since.

Looking back to those years, I don't remember the stadium being like it has been at some games the last few years. In the 80s and 90s, we had fans that would sit there with their arms crossed with the attitude...."well...this is what we should be doing"...while having headphones on listening to the radio. Sure, the crowd would get sort of loud for certain plays...but, even in big games, I don't remember the stadium just rock'n.

So, comparing it to now.....is part of the change the fact the fans are pumped up and excited for success? When a team like Oregon comes in, we don't sit thereon our duffs and just think....well...we should be winning anyway. We get loud...we get excited...we get pumped up....because you know what? We might not win...and dang it's exciting when we do.

I must say...I love winning and want to keep winning. But, this is a hell of a lot more fun atmosphere in the stadium.

Part of it is definitely that there is a hunger for success that didn't use to exist back in the glory days. Part of it is also that for most of Osborne's tenure, at least, the majority of games were all blowouts and were frankly pretty boring from an excitement standpoint.

Playing closer games without the entitled attitude makes for a much more raucous Memorial Stadium.

Part of it is definitely that there is a hunger for success that didn't use to exist back in the glory days. Part of it is also that for most of Osborne's tenure, at least, the majority of games were all blowouts and were frankly pretty boring from an excitement standpoint.

Playing closer games without the entitled attitude makes for a much more raucous Memorial Stadium.

There were times during Osborne's peak years where there wasn't the crazy, fun atmosphere like we saw against Oregon, but the crowd was in a frenzy from the opening kickoff and the team dominated the opponent.

Off the top of my head, these games would include:

1991 Oklahoma - not a domination, but NU came back in the 4th quarter for the W. It was a freezing cold game, but the crowd was so amped and excited to be going back to the Orange Bowl.

1992 Colorado - Halloween night game where the crowd was going crazy from the opening kickoff. Koy Detmer for CU was picked off on the first CU play and the rout was on.

1992 Kansas - the week after the CU game, and another fun atmosphere with another night game on ESPN. NU kicked KU to the curb.

1994 Colorado - 200th consecutive sellout against the one team that could stand in NU's way for an undefeated regular season. The crowd was out for blood the entire game and Kordell Stewart was rattled the entire game

1995 Kansas State - KSU brought a top ten team into Lincoln on Homecoming night. NU dominates early. This game includes the bone crushing block by Mike Rucker on Mike Fullman's punt return for TD.

1997 Kansas State - pretty much a repeat of the '95 game

Yes, the fans expected NU to win those games, but Memorial Stadium has always had the ability to get loud, crazy, and fun for big games.

• Fire 1