Between the tackles

knapplc

Wait, so now everyone's on the "run the ball" bandwagon?

What happened to "We could only run the ball because UCLA was small and terrible at run defense. We can't expect to have that type of game plan going forward."

Ummmmm....no.

We are headed into Big 10 play that is going to have bigger and better defensive lines. It's a good sign no matter what you are doing when your yards per carry go up as the game goes on. Some of that is because we are wearing them down. Some of it is because they realize they have to adjust to account for our awesome WRs and an improved TA.

All of it goes together. When we get into BIG 10 play, we are going to have to make sure we have a good enough offense that they can't just stack the box along with these bigger and better D lines.

Not sure where you care coming up with what you posted.

At the risk of facing another semantics argument, you could look in this thread. And posts #5 & 6 above.

I must be taking those comments very differently than you.

• Fire 1

To say it's "just football" is to say there's no difference between a Kiffen offense, a Kelly offense, a Herman offense, a Briles offense, a Johnson offense or a Riley offense.

Of course that's not the case at all. There are significant philosophical, strategic and tactical differences.

and you have to pick one - you can't be all things for all defenses, unless you're Alabama, and even they have been exposed as being weak or under productive on offense more often than they've exceeded their talent levels based on production.

Well that's just not true at all.

• Fire 1

To say it's "just football" is to say there's no difference between a Kiffen offense, a Kelly offense, a Herman offense, a Briles offense, a Johnson offense or a Riley offense.

Of course that's not the case at all. There are significant philosophical, strategic and tactical differences.

and you have to pick one - you can't be all things for all defenses, unless you're Alabama, and even they have been exposed as being weak or under productive on offense more often than they've exceeded their talent levels based on production.

sorry duplicate comment- late to the party

Well that's just not true at all.

The first and second paragraphs of my post are objectively true. Those are very different systems.

The third is my opinion, and there's not much evidence refuting it. A few elite recruiting programs have been able to model themselves after pro style teams, with packages and personnel driven schemes that change from game to game and season to season.

But very few programs can do that and achieve the level of performance NU fans demand.

This is the kind of thinking that leads to games like Purdue.

Games like Purdue happen because the opponent has guys on scholarship, too.

Games like Purdue happen because guys on our team aren't fully bought in.

Games like Purdue happen because the coaches ask a green QB to throw it 40+ times.

Games like Purdue happen because your starting QB, WR, WR & RB are injured & out.

That is also the kind of thinking that gets you games like:

Michigan State

Rutgers

Iowa

UCLA

Oregon

It's the kind of thinking most every OC in America, at all levels of the game, do. Maybe Kiffin in Alabama can just line up and do whatever he wants, maybe the OC in Louisville this year. There aren't more than ten in the country who can do that.

Everyone else takes what the defense gives them. That includes teams trying to claw back into relevance like Nebraska.

• Fire 3

It reinforces to me that our offense does have a very particular identity that Riley and Langsdorf have found - Wear the other team out in the fourth quarter.

There's no doubt in my mind at this point that they've found the best possible way for our offense to be successful. We didn't have this during the first 2/3 of last season. Now we do. And it feels like a different team.

Improved strength and conditioning seems to be paying dividends now for us. Other teams look beaten down by the 4th. Makes a huge difference. Something that was missing here for a long time.

• Fire 2

It reinforces to me that our offense does have a very particular identity that Riley and Langsdorf have found - Wear the other team out in the fourth quarter.

There's no doubt in my mind at this point that they've found the best possible way for our offense to be successful. We didn't have this during the first 2/3 of last season. Now we do. And it feels like a different team.

Improved strength and conditioning seems to be paying dividends now for us. Other teams look beaten down by the 4th. Makes a huge difference. Something that was missing here for a long time.

Not even remotely accurate memory. Look at MIami, northwestern and even Iowa from 2014 alone. NU wore those teams out. At iowa, they won the game in the second half.

• Fire 2

Weird that you suddenly don't remember the dozens of games where Pelini/Beck's teams started smashmouthing the hell out of teams late.

• Fire 1

Games like Purdue happen because the coaches ask a green QB to throw it 40+ times.

Games like Purdue happen because your starting QB, WR, WR & RB are injured & out.

Michigan State

Rutgers

Iowa

UCLA

Oregon

It's the kind of thinking most every OC in America, at all levels of the game, do. Maybe Kiffin in Alabama can just line up and do whatever he wants, maybe the OC in Louisville this year. There aren't more than ten in the country who can do that.

Everyone else takes what the defense gives them. That includes teams trying to claw back into relevance like Nebraska.

I agree with very little in this post. If you go back and look at the 3 big wins on that list what do they all have in common? We stayed committed to the run game. Even if it didn't pay huge dividends on the stat sheet. (Mich State) Games like Purdue and Illinois happen because we settled for what the defense was giving them.

On the second point I'd like you to point out one of these balanced teams that has been consistent over the last 5 to 10 years? Before you say Alabama I'll stop you and point out that they are not a balanced offense. They are a power running team first and foremost. If you don't think so watch Sabin chew Kiffins a$$ every time he try's getting cute.

• Fire 1

Not true

Actually, that was the kind of thinking that got us to beat Oregon last week.

Losing to Purdue was a result of a lot of bad fortune in the previous weeks - that snowballed / players that didn't know what to think about the new staff / coaches that didn't have a handle of exactly what the players could do / and probably about 5 other things that us fans don't know about.

Michigan State

Rutgers

Iowa

UCLA

Oregon

I agree with very little in this post. If you go back and look at the 3 big wins on that list what do they all have in common? We stayed committed to the run game. Even if it didn't pay huge dividends on the stat sheet. (Mich State) Games like Purdue and Illinois happen because we settled for what the defense was giving them.

On the second point I'd like you to point out one of these balanced teams that has been consistent over the last 5 to 10 years? Before you say Alabama I'll stop you and point out that they are not a balanced offense. They are a power running team first and foremost. If you don't think so watch Sabin chew Kiffins a$$ every time he try's getting cute.

The bold of your first sentence was expected.

The bold part of the first sentence in the second paragraph - describes about zero teams. Over the past 10 years who has been consistent? - Alabama is the only one that comes close

Not true

Actually, that was the kind of thinking that got us to beat Oregon last week.

Losing to Purdue was a result of a lot of bad fortune in the previous weeks - that snowballed / players that didn't know what to think about the new staff / coaches that didn't have a handle of exactly what the players could do / and probably about 5 other things that us fans don't know about.

Bad fortune? You've got to be kidding me. We got straight up outcoached. Purdue stacked the box in the first half and Langford got pass happy even though we were able to run the ball against them. Which is even more puzzling with Fyfe getting his first start.

• Fire 1