Zone Read QB Keeper

adc7236

Does Oregon still telegraph if it's an inside or outside zone read by the alignment of the RB to the QB? At one time, if it was inside zone, the RB was always a step behind the QB. If it's outside zone, the RB is even with the QB.

On this play, the RB is even with the QB. So, if they still do that, the defense should have known it was going to be outside zone read.

Does Oregon still telegraph if it's an inside or outside zone read by the alignment of the RB to the QB? At one time, if it was inside zone, the RB was always a step behind the QB. If it's outside zone, the RB is even with the QB.

On this play, the RB is even with the QB. So, if they still do that, the defense should have known it was going to be outside zone read.

They do usually tend to line up even if it is outside zone, but you have to be cautious bc they are multiple and have plays that compliment overplaying a tendency. They can have key screens away from outside zone, they read 2nd level defenders (LBs) and can react multiple ways to how the defense plays them.

Oregon's zone read isn't just about reading the DE. Sometimes it's reading an LB to see if he's the one undisciplined and leaving his spot at the second level.

I would have to look at the NU game again to see which ones hurt NU the most but I will save that for a later day.

Also, is this the slowest week ever or what?

On Oregon's first TD, NU had 2 LB's stacked on the left side of the defense and Oregon ran to NU's right. Obviously, one of the LB's was out of position. Oregon does that to teams with their tempo.

On Oregon's 3rd TD (50 yard run after NU turnover) Banderas was lined up as MLB, but he appeared to be lined up over the right guard. Where he lined up, he was giving the offense way too much room on the wide side of the field. Sure enough, Oregon ran an outside zone to the wide side of the field and Banderas got caught inside and was easily blocked by the Oregon lineman. The Oregon RB was off to the races after that.

Unless you are speaking on a different play I remember Bando in good position, but completely missed the tackle. I thought Freedom set the edge well on these plays but some people didn't fill correctly.

I am speaking of a different play. Bando's complete whiff of a tackle was on the 4th and 1 play from NU's 42. That was Oregon's 4th TD. Bando should have made the tackle for a 3 yard gain, but the RB went right through him.

The play I am referencing was Oregon's 3rd TD to make the score 20-7. I could be way off but I didn't understand why Bando was lining up on the boundary side of the center, giving up the wide field. To me, if he was lined up on the wide side of the center, he would have been in position to make the play.

Just watched the play you are speaking of. I am not sure why we were over playing the short side of the field. Bando got a little sucked up, but Kieron also made a bad read on the play.

Yeah, I am not sure what Kieron is reading on that play. It appears he has outside responsibility. Bando can't let the center (who is pulling on the play) get him stuck on the inside.

Maybe I am way off on the alignment issue, because the back is lined up on the boundary side of the field. Banker did say after the game that the D came into the game doing heavy preparation on the inside zone, so maybe Bando is guessing this play is going to be an inside zone read to the boundary. This play is an outside zone play to the wide side, and the D is a complete bust, as NU doesn't have enough defenders on the wide side.

The only way Kieron's read on that play makes sense is if he's got outside contain. His angle makes absolutely no sense. He should be filling that hole immediately upon reading run. Instead, he's running right towards the slot receiver that is already engaged by AWill. There isn't even anyone in motion towards the outside that he would be responsible for.

In terms of alignment, we're in a Nickel against 4 wides. Bando is lined up A gap on the boundary side, with Young in C gap on the slot receiver. We have comparable numbers on the boundary side; it's just a misplay by Bando. He takes an angle to the center's inside shoulder instead of taking outside lever; it's almost like he's expecting help from the secondary towards the outside.

I think we outsmarted ourselves trying to disguise the coverage.

We lined up to make it look like it was a Cover 2/Quarters look. But you can see the two Williams discussing something before the play. We are actually running a Cover 3 with Kalu, Jones and Gerry. A Williams has the back and K Williams has the slot. A Williams reads the back and thinks he's going outside so he fired up trying to fight across the block of the slot. But that opens up a huge hole for the back to cut upfield. K Williams runs up because he's in man coverage on the slot.

On the other side of the field, it looks like the same thing that got Bando in trouble. Young is in man coverage on the slot so Bando is the only run support on that side of the field. That's why he's shaded to the boundary because A Williams is supposed to have run support to the field.

Oregon's zone read isn't just about reading the DE. Sometimes it's reading an LB to see if he's the one undisciplined and leaving his spot at the second level.

I would have to look at the NU game again to see which ones hurt NU the most but I will save that for a later day.

On Oregon's first TD, NU had 2 LB's stacked on the left side of the defense and Oregon ran to NU's right. Obviously, one of the LB's was out of position. Oregon does that to teams with their tempo.

On Oregon's 3rd TD (50 yard run after NU turnover) Banderas was lined up as MLB, but he appeared to be lined up over the right guard. Where he lined up, he was giving the offense way too much room on the wide side of the field. Sure enough, Oregon ran an outside zone to the wide side of the field and Banderas got caught inside and was easily blocked by the Oregon lineman. The Oregon RB was off to the races after that.

Unless you are speaking on a different play I remember Bando in good position, but completely missed the tackle. I thought Freedom set the edge well on these plays but some people didn't fill correctly.

I am speaking of a different play. Bando's complete whiff of a tackle was on the 4th and 1 play from NU's 42. That was Oregon's 4th TD. Bando should have made the tackle for a 3 yard gain, but the RB went right through him.

The play I am referencing was Oregon's 3rd TD to make the score 20-7. I could be way off but I didn't understand why Bando was lining up on the boundary side of the center, giving up the wide field. To me, if he was lined up on the wide side of the center, he would have been in position to make the play.

Just watched the play you are speaking of. I am not sure why we were over playing the short side of the field. Bando got a little sucked up, but Kieron also made a bad read on the play.

Yeah, I am not sure what Kieron is reading on that play. It appears he has outside responsibility. Bando can't let the center (who is pulling on the play) get him stuck on the inside.

Maybe I am way off on the alignment issue, because the back is lined up on the boundary side of the field. Banker did say after the game that the D came into the game doing heavy preparation on the inside zone, so maybe Bando is guessing this play is going to be an inside zone read to the boundary. This play is an outside zone play to the wide side, and the D is a complete bust, as NU doesn't have enough defenders on the wide side.

The only way Kieron's read on that play makes sense is if he's got outside contain. His angle makes absolutely no sense. He should be filling that hole immediately upon reading run. Instead, he's running right towards the slot receiver that is already engaged by AWill. There isn't even anyone in motion towards the outside that he would be responsible for.

In terms of alignment, we're in a Nickel against 4 wides. Bando is lined up A gap on the boundary side, with Young in C gap on the slot receiver. We have comparable numbers on the boundary side; it's just a misplay by Bando. He takes an angle to the center's inside shoulder instead of taking outside lever; it's almost like he's expecting help from the secondary towards the outside.

I am not a football coach, but it just seems odd to me that Bando is lined up on the A gap on the boundary side? Why not line up in the A-gap on the field (wide) side? By the alignment on the field, there is a HUGE gap created between Bando and Aaron Williams. Also, Aaron Williams and Kieron Willams go the the outside of the slot receiver. I know Aaron is playing coverage on his man, so it looks like Kieron is expecting Bando to get to the inside gap and flush the RB outside.

Again, I have no idea what the defense was called, and how they were supposed to line up. It's a complete bust all around.

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted the MLB to line up according to the RB to play the inside zone. Even then, we have a man advantage against IZ on that side, not accounting for the slot receiver

I thought the thread title would be about our offense.

I like how we're using the designed QB draw for Tommy as opposed to the zone read rollout. The three step drop fake gets linebackers vertical instead of horizontal.

And I really liked how Tommy committed to the pump action play fake on the screen.

For years our defense has gotten to practice against dual threat QBs with a green light to improvise, but it hasn't always translated to opposing mobile quarterbacks.

We lined up to make it look like it was a Cover 2/Quarters look. But you can see the two Williams discussing something before the play. We are actually running a Cover 3. A Williams has the back and K Williams has the slot. A Williams reads the back and thinks he's going outside so he fired up trying to fight across the block of the slot. But that opens up a huge hole for the back to cut upfield. K Williams runs up because he's in man coverage on the slot.

On the other side of the field, it looks like the same thing that got Bando in trouble. Young is in man coverage on the slot so Bando is the only run support on that side of the field. That's why he's shaded to the boundary because A Williams is supposed to have run support to the field.

Is it Cover 3 or Cover 1? Either way, Kieron made a poor read.

We lined up to make it look like it was a Cover 2/Quarters look. But you can see the two Williams discussing something before the play. We are actually running a Cover 3. A Williams has the back and K Williams has the slot. A Williams reads the back and thinks he's going outside so he fired up trying to fight across the block of the slot. But that opens up a huge hole for the back to cut upfield. K Williams runs up because he's in man coverage on the slot.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a Cover 3 but if the outside guys go deep it amounts to a Cover 1.

I don't think it was Kieron that messed up. Aaron Williams should have gotten inside and filled that lane. Kieron could also have made a play on it but his primary was covering the slot. Aaron's primary was the back but he didn't get anywhere near him.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a Cover 3 but if the outside guys go deep it amounts to a Cover 1.

I don't think it was Kieron that messed up. Aaron Williams should have gotten inside and filled that lane. Kieron could also have made a play on it but his primary was covering the slot. Aaron's primary was the back but he didn't get anywhere near him.

I don't know; the way Aaron flies to the outside indicates to me he's got outside contain. If he had RB out of the backfield, you'd think he'd flow immediately towards that, right?

I don't know; the way Aaron flies to the outside indicates to me he's got outside contain. If he had RB out of the backfield, you'd think he'd flow immediately towards that, right?

Yeah, that's why I think he screwed up. He read the wide release and thought he had to get wide. That left the big hole to the inside.

If AWill had outside contain and KWill had the inside lane, that wouldn't leave anyone covering the slot.

Plus if you watch KWill, he's looking at the slot the entire way. He doesn't even see that it's a running play until the back is almost by him.

However AWill is lined up inside and keying the back the entire time. He just made a bad guess as to where the play is going.

Yep. He flew hard to the outside even after the RB had cut up the middle.

Gerry is a freaking burner. He closed that gap on Griffen real quick on that play.

Definitely a blown run fit by someone in the secondary, but tough to tell who without assignments or how the call came in. I also think that Bando might have blown his fit when he went inside.

Side question: Were the boos at 1:15 left in the first half directed at the playcalling (two incomplete passes on down and 2 yards with multiple timeouts available), that there may have been interference on Westy on the third down play (from tv, it didn't look like it) or that we chose to punt there?

Side note: Oregon's DL, particularly #50, was straight up bad. Played with no hands and no leverage - I can't believe he had 8 tackles in that game.

DPE is freaking awesome. His punt return may have saved the game, because I don't know that NU wins if they don't close the 20-7 gap going into half.

Haven't read through the rest of the replies, maybe others have mentioned this.

The zone read play develops really slowly. Partly for this reason, it tends to be a "boom or bust" play. Martinez made this especially true by just being so damn good at running fast in a straight line. When our line blocked that play well and he took the right hole, he was gone. Like, "six points" gone. He did that over and over.

Tommy's first couple of steps aren't quite as fast. That's why I like the run-pass option out of the shotgun that's more of a "draw," where no time is wasted standing next to your I-Back and reading the play. He gets the snap and is instantly only focusing on a running lane, not whether he should hand off or keep. Although, it's been said that some of the zone read keepers are actually designed keepers either way; that sometimes there isn't even a "read."

So, yeah. I really like the way Langsdorf has used Tommy in what's more of a classic QB draw. I.E., the play that won the game on Saturday.

Haven't read through the rest of the replies, maybe others have mentioned this.

The zone read play develops really slowly. Partly for this reason, it tends to be a "boom or bust" play. Martinez made this especially true by just being so damn good at running fast in a straight line. When our line blocked that play well and he took the right hole, he was gone. Like, "six points" gone. He did that over and over.

Tommy's first couple of steps aren't quite as fast. That's why I like the run-pass option out of the shotgun that's more of a "draw," where no time is wasted standing next to your I-Back and reading the play. He gets the snap and is instantly only focusing on a running lane, not whether he should hand off or keep. Although, it's been said that some of the zone read keepers are actually designed keepers either way; that sometimes there isn't even a "read."

So, yeah. I really like the way Langsdorf has used Tommy in what's more of a classic QB draw. I.E., the play that won the game on Saturday.

That can depend on the type of read you make. Reading the end tends to be a quicker decision than reading a DT or LB. Plus, when he was healthy, there wasn't another QB in program history that could go from 0-60 as fast as Martinez could.

That can depend on the type of read you make. Reading the end tends to be a quicker decision than reading a DT or LB. Plus, when he was healthy, there wasn't another QB in program history that could go from 0-60 as fast as Martinez could.

That's what gave it such a boom or bust feel with Martinez, yes.

The other thing though is, if your line doesn't pick up it's blocks or gets beat, it's a bust. It's kind of a potential high risk/high reward type of play.

At this point, I'd rather just hand the ball off to Ozigbo and let him pound it. Then, sprinkle in the run-pass options and draws for Tommy later in the game. It's a great template for us right now that, when Tommy is limiting mistakes, is making us the best team in the West.