There is a time and place to address issues.

Far, far away from where lots of people might have to actually encounter it.

That's the issue I have with "time and place". It's always some other time, some other place. There's a reason why it eventually escalates to a very public stage demonstration. To the extent that it's really fair to describe a peaceful, silent protest as escalating.

• Fire 2

Anyone ever heard of the 1st amendment people......they are being way more American than all those here who are condemning their actions for being "Unamerican", you are all hypocrites, let them have their voice heard.

You don't have to agree with their platform but at least agree with their right to express themselves, otherwise you may as well just be in communist China

I agree with their right to express themselves. That doesn't mean it's not classless, tasteless, and overall unbecoming of a representative of the taxpayer-funded University if Nebraska.

Oh please. Classless is threatening bodily harm on these individuals. As a veteran, I fully support these non-violent protests. Maybe if people were willing to actually listen and empathize, we wouldn't have players kneeling during the anthem.

Well said, and thanks for serving.

I agree. It seems silly that it takes people getting this pissed about this, but at least it's serving its intended purpose-- we're having this conversation, right?

Kinda .... seems like the conversation is focused on the wrong thing. We've got the same group of folks who dont think there is an issue belittling the "disrespectful, classless, pansies". Kinda seems like more of the same.

Actually, as I read through these comments I'm proud that there seem to be more open minded, respectful folks than not. I'm going to focus on that.

Anyone ever heard of the 1st amendment people......they are being way more American than all those here who are condemning their actions for being "Unamerican", you are all hypocrites, let them have their voice heard.

You don't have to agree with their platform but at least agree with their right to express themselves, otherwise you may as well just be in communist China

I agree with their right to express themselves. That doesn't mean it's not classless, tasteless, and overall unbecoming of a representative of the taxpayer-funded University if Nebraska.

You are way overreacting, its a simple peaceful protest which has happened multiple times throughout history, so whats the big f'ing deal? UNL should support their right to express their views if anything, if they were an overreaching University they would force them to stop.

Simply let the players stand up for what they believe in, any resistance is a totalitarian movement that will reduce productivity and make the players become less loyal to the University they support. UNL should support their right to express their opinion. Like I said, you don't have to agree with it, just understand their right to voice their opinion.

Their opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

I'm not "way overreacting". Overreacting would be asking for their expulsion. I'm saying they're classless and tasteless because they're intentionally showing a lack of respect for the symbol of our country and all who've sacrificed for it; which, incidentally, has nothing to do with what they're protesting.

Everyone who has ever said they're disrespecting people who have sacrificed for the country is claiming they can read people's minds. Unless these players come out and say they don't give a sh#t about how they were protected during wars, then that's just a big giant guess on your part.

If you're specifically talking about the lyrics of the song, why should someone who is fighting against systematic racism care all that much about sacrifices made by our soldiers during a time when slavery was legal?

Respect for the flag is something that is ingrained in the minds of all members of the military. It means respect for the people who made the flag possible, so it's easy to infer that disrespect for the flag is disrespect for the people who made the flag possible.

As for people fighting against perceived systemic racism, maybe they should care about the sacrifices of those soldiers because many of their progeny paid with their lives to end slavery. Might be something worthy of respect.

You are way overreacting, its a simple peaceful protest which has happened multiple times throughout history, so whats the big f'ing deal? UNL should support their right to express their views if anything, if they were an overreaching University they would force them to stop.

Simply let the players stand up for what they believe in, any resistance is a totalitarian movement that will reduce productivity and make the players become less loyal to the University they support. UNL should support their right to express their opinion. Like I said, you don't have to agree with it, just understand their right to voice their opinion.

I'm not "way overreacting". Overreacting would be asking for their expulsion. I'm saying they're classless and tasteless because they're intentionally showing a lack of respect for the symbol of our country and all who've sacrificed for it; which, incidentally, has nothing to do with what they're protesting.

Everyone who has ever said they're disrespecting people who have sacrificed for the country is claiming they can read people's minds. Unless these players come out and say they don't give a sh#t about how they were protected during wars, then that's just a big giant guess on your part.

If you're specifically talking about the lyrics of the song, why should someone who is fighting against systematic racism care all that much about sacrifices made by our soldiers during a time when slavery was legal?

Respect for the flag is something that is ingrained in the minds of all members of the military. It means respect for the people who made the flag possible, so it's easy to infer that disrespect for the flag is disrespect for the people who made the flag possible.

As for people fighting against perceived systemic racism, maybe they should care about the sacrifices of those soldiers because many of their progeny paid with their lives to end slavery. Might be something worthy of respect.

Did you really just drop a Civil War reference?

• Fire 1

It's just plain silly to think anyone's doing this to specifically diss soldiers or soldiers who died for the country. Especially when lots made it clear what they're specifically doing it for. To me the flag represents the country. It doesn't represent soldiers. I wasn't in the military but my dad fought in Vietnam and my grandpa was also in the Navy. The country has sent soldiers to die for unjust causes before. It's kind of similar to being against the Iraq/Vietnam wars but not against the soldiers who fought in them. The people doing this are against systematic racism which is something they think our country is allowing. It has nothing to do with soldiers fighting for the country.

• Fire 2

It's just plain silly to think anyone's doing this to specifically diss soldiers or soldiers who died for the country. Especially when lots made it clear what they're specifically doing it for. To me the flag represents the country. It doesn't represent soldiers. I wasn't in the military but my dad fought in Vietnam and my grandpa was also in the Navy. The country has sent soldiers to die for unjust causes before. It's kind of similar to being against the Iraq/Vietnam wars but not against the soldiers who fought in them. The people doing this are against systematic racism which is something they think our country is allowing. It has nothing to do with soldiers fighting for the country.

Exactly, it was not done to disparage any former military, it was just to protest a certain aspect of American culture. Get real, Husker nation

• Fire 5

Did you really just drop a Civil War reference?

Uh, yeah, because he referenced soldiers from the War of 1812, which was when the National Anthem was written. I spoke of their progeny, who fought and died in the civil war.

Players kneel for prayer after the game, nobody bats an eye.

Players kneel for the national anthem, everyone loses their minds.

Traditions are weird.

Taking a knee for prayer is a sign of respect for a higher power.

Taking a knee for this countrys national anthem and all who have died to make a football game possible shows a total lack of it.

People who died to...? To...? Come on.... to protect what? Our... come on... our Coooonstitional... freeeeeedoms.

• Fire 2

The United States is NOT a military state. The military is not identical to the country. They are separate things. I don't know why this is hard for so many people to grasp. Actually, you know, it isn't. It's a cynical red herring argument.

• Fire 3

The problem is that many, many people do see it as an insult to this country's soldiers. Which is they overshadow what they're protesting by doing it during the national anthem.

The problem is that many, many people do see it as an insult to this country's soldiers. Which is they overshadow what they're protesting by doing it during the national anthem.

It only overshadows it because they want a reason to be upset at the protestors instead of think that the protestors might actually be on to something.

• Fire 1