Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Gotta admit I'm wary of people attempting the "help me understand" approach when they don't seem to mean it.

Despite or because of your super politeness, Joe, I'm getting that vibe from you.

Please don't pretend people misinterpreted Post #868 & #870. You're laying out some very pass-aggressive sh#t.

Lots of people pretend they want to know the issues, but won't put in the effort to actually find out. Or know and don't care so they deflect with "I don't like how they protest, so I'm going to ignore it."

Ok... there were multiple questions within my post. Well then let's remove sarcasm from my post (for your sake). Now please explain the "pretty fine" portion of your post and how it relates to mine. Thanks

First, the end game is progress and awareness. Even if MRI never kneels again he will have accomplished this in his own small context, and will not be a hypocrite for stopping.

Second, the University would care and give time and due diligence in listening to anyone with real perceived slights or injustices.

Ok. That is totally fine. Thank you for fully answering some questions.

1)So this is a protest to raise awareness. No problem. Will he tell us when we are all aware?

2) can I get a list of these "real" injustices? I just want to make sure my injustices are as "real" as the next persons. Does the university have this in writing. I just want to make sure that if they tell me NO, I can say but Landlord said you would listen...

1. When you pull your head out of your ass, you will become aware. Then hopefully, we can all make some progress.

2. Do your own homework. Google "white privilege". Read the report from Ferguson that lays out the racist policies carried out by the police. https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court leading to proceedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for the disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

Gotta admit I'm wary of people attempting the "help me understand" approach when they don't seem to mean it.

Despite or because of your super politeness, Joe, I'm getting that vibe from you.

Please don't pretend people misinterpreted Post #868 & #870. You're laying out some very pass-aggressive sh#t.

Lots of people pretend they want to know the issues, but won't put in the effort to actually find out. Or know and don't care so they deflect with "I don't like how they protest, so I'm going to ignore it."

Ok... there were multiple questions within my post. Well then let's remove sarcasm from my post (for your sake). Now please explain the "pretty fine" portion of your post and how it relates to mine. Thanks

First, the end game is progress and awareness. Even if MRI never kneels again he will have accomplished this in his own small context, and will not be a hypocrite for stopping.

Second, the University would care and give time and due diligence in listening to anyone with real perceived slights or injustices.

1)So this is a protest to raise awareness. No problem. Will he tell us when we are all aware?

2) can I get a list of these "real" injustices? I just want to make sure my injustices are as "real" as the next persons. Does the university have this in writing. I just want to make sure that if they tell me NO, I can say but Landlord said you would listen...

1. When you pull your head out of your ass, you will become aware. Then hopefully, we can all make some progress.

2. Do your own homework. Google "white privilege". Read the report from Ferguson that lays out the racist policies carried out by the police. https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

Fergusons law enforcement practices are shaped by the Citys focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Fergusons police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court leading to proceedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Fergusons police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Fergusons own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for the disparities. Over time, Fergusons police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

Odd. I thought I stuck pretty much to what I thought could have made the protest better, I did not want it go to personal attacks. Are we through with civil talking? If so, I would like to stay on the board but will not respond to personal attacks, I do not think that helps.

Fergusons law enforcement practices are shaped by the Citys focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Fergusons police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court leading to proceedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Fergusons police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Fergusons own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for the disparities. Over time, Fergusons police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

Odd. I thought I stuck pretty much to what I thought could have made the protest better, I did not want it go to personal attacks. Are we through with civil talking? If so, I would like to stay on the board but will not respond to personal attacks, I do not think that helps.

The protests pretty much accomplished what they were supposed to accomplish.

If you didn't want to be attacked personally, you shouldn't have posted crap like "these 'real' injustices" and "Will he tell us when we're all aware?" Statements like that show you have no interest in the actual issues and you're just feigning outrage at the protester's methods to deflect.

And I couldn't care less if you stay on the board or not. If you actually want to discuss issues in an intelligent and mature manner, great. Quit with the passive aggressive BS and join the adults.

If you didn't want to be attacked personally, you shouldn't have posted crap like "these 'real' injustices" and "Will he tell us when we're all aware?" Statements like that show you have no interest in the actual issues and you're just feigning outrage at the protester's methods to deflect.

And I couldn't care less if you stay on the board or not. If you actually want to discuss issues in an intelligent and mature manner, great. Quit with the passive aggressive BS and join the adults.

He apologized previously for coming across snarky/unsympathetic and has been posting respectfully otherwise. Slow your roll a bit Jim.

• Fire 2

The protests pretty much accomplished what they were supposed to accomplish.

Not true Jim.

So, my message will be disregarded if they person doesn't like my "tone"? What does that sound like? Like someone won't pay attention to the protest if they don't like the form it takes? If you don't like my tone, don't jump in making snarky comments without reading through the thread first. If you act disingenuous, be prepared for the repercussions.

I've tried putting some thought into this topic and have been respectful to those who seem like they actually want to learn about the issues behind the protest even though they didn't like MRI and others taking a knee.

This isn't a topic in which we can remain pleasant in discussing. People need to be taken out of their comfort zone. I was raised in an all white community and went to an all white school. I've never experienced what minorities experienced growing up in this country. I was raised to respect everyone and treat them how I would want to be treated.

I started to become aware of these problems during diversity training for my new career as a teacher in an inner city high school. We took a bus around the neighborhoods that these kids are growing up in and it physically hurt me to learn what these kids go through. The cycle of poverty is a vicious thing. One of my students lost his father last week to cancer at 38. I wonder if he had better access to health care if he's still be alive. I learned about white privilege. It's easy to just live our own lives when we have no idea what those less fortunate are going through.

Well, what can we do? I don't know for sure, but we can start by electing people who will look out for the interests of all people, not just the wealthy ones who donate to their campaigns.

So, my message will be disregarded if they person doesn't like my "tone"? What does that sound like? Like someone won't pay attention to the protest if they don't like the form it takes? If you don't like my tone, don't jump in making snarky comments without reading through the thread first. If you act disingenuous, be prepared for the repercussions.

I've tried putting some thought into this topic and have been respectful to those who seem like they actually want to learn about the issues behind the protest even though they didn't like MRI and others taking a knee.

Jim, disregard any actual or perceived negative statements or feelings. This thread has already accomplished, to a small degree, what MRI set about to do. You have contributed valuable thoughts and ideas and helped evince this message. I have said my piece, you have said yours. Others will agree or disagree based on their individual backgrounds.

Do you know, when I lived out in Western Nebraska I would occasionally tell very close friends that they were farming on stolen land? Land stolen from my people and tribe. They would universally get extremely angry and defensive. And explain how that piece of land had been in the family for FIVE (or whatever) proud generations. And that they too needed to make a living. My own people were on the verge of starvation a hundred miles north.

Change is hard. Especially when the changes required must come from within, from asking very difficult and unseemly questions about your father's and grandfather's behavior and motives. The theft of our land is, from their perspective, an escape from the tyranny of European powers, a chance to start a new life. It is all very complicated. And the same is as true for African Americans and their journey through slavery into what I think we all hope will be a better world and society.

Changing your mind about long-instilled history is very hard. It requires you to refute your ancestors and sometimes yourself.

MRI has achieved his mission in a way, though he may not even know it.

• Fire 2

Personal attacks are no way to disagree with someone's opinion. My comments I made earlier in the thread were in no way snarky, and you went off on me in a way that I did not go off on anyone else.

Personal attacks are no way to disagree with someone's opinion. My comments I made earlier in the thread were in no way snarky, and you went off on me in a way that I did not go off on anyone else.

I get really worked up over this subject (see my post following the one you quoted). So when I see people who are unwilling to listen to the players because of the form of their protest, it demonstrates to me that they really don't care. We have a large percentage of our population that live in a different America from you and me. I am making an effort to understand it, are you?

I have yet to hear someone answer my question if they would like to be treated the same as black people in this country. You notice no one has replied to post number 906. There's more discussion in this thread about the posters feelings than what he actual protest is about. So I really am not worried about stepping on some toes. I'm trying to push this topic forward and make this country a better place.

ESPN's Fayetteville affiliate is refusing to broadcast the ECU game because some of their band members took a knee during the anthem.

LINK

This is at least somewhat different, imo, because it's kind of part of their obligations and responsibilities for their "job" or whatever you want to call it being in the band. Some of the players didn't even play their instruments FOR the anthem lol. If it's directly interfering with what you're expected to do on scholarship or participating in an extracurricular activity or whatever, then you need to do it or maybe quit?