Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Not that anybody should care what I think but I'm pretty impressed with the manner in which MRI, Brandon Marshall of the Broncos and a few others have gone about their protests. Their approach has been one of still maintaining respect and expressing their concerns without demeaning police officers. Kaepernick, on the other hand, and some others have not gone about it in the right way IMO. Anyway, it makes a difference in my eyes.

This brings up an interesting point for me.

Think of how courteous, professional, eloquent, gracious, and patient MRI has had to be to get people to consider his point of view or at least listen to him and respect that he is being intentional. Does that same threshold of expectation apply to white people, generally? What I'm asking is - is there some implicit bias where we'll accept with more of an open mind what someone with a certain skin color says off the cuff without much thought, whereas we demand others to painstakingly labor to be the best communicators imaginable before we listen to them?

• Fire 2

I also wonder how much fandom plays a role. We knew and respected MRI well before he took a knee, and those are of course your Broncos. I'm not sure if there are any Niners fans on the board, but even if so Kaep already had the baggage of being quite the disappointment as a QB. A somewhat lethal combination to start with, protest or not.

Many of the players such as Rose-Ivey, or the USWNT's Megan Rapinoe, explicitly support Kaepernick and are standing in solidarity with him. Does that affect whether or not these people are going about it in the "right" way?

Not that anybody should care what I think but I'm pretty impressed with the manner in which MRI, Brandon Marshall of the Broncos and a few others have gone about their protests. Their approach has been one of still maintaining respect and expressing their concerns without demeaning police officers. Kaepernick, on the other hand, and some others have not gone about it in the right way IMO. Anyway, it makes a difference in my eyes.

Think of how courteous, professional, eloquent, gracious, and patient MRI has had to be to get people to consider his point of view or at least listen to him and respect that he is being intentional. Does that same threshold of expectation apply to white people, generally? What I'm asking is - is there some implicit bias where we'll accept with more of an open mind what someone with a certain skin color says off the cuff without much thought, whereas we demand others to painstakingly labor to be the best communicators imaginable before we listen to them?

We demand a pretty high level of accuracy here on HuskerBoard, both in sports discussions and political & religious discussions. We're pretty quick to point out flaws and demand precision in each others' arguments.

Everyone I've ever met in person from HuskerBoard has been White.

You know, this is an interesting discussion, and it reminded me of this Trevor Noah interview six months into his Daily Show run. Especially as it applies to public speech, with a name and a face and even one's whole livelihood behind it.

Comedy Central executive Michele Ganeless has described Noah’s approach as being like a “Trojan horse”: he plants ideas and queries norms rather than constructing in-your-face takedowns. For Noah that approach, rather than the angry man routine, is vital, especially because of who he is. “I grew up learning one thing: it’s way easier to be an angry white man than an angry black man,” he says. “White people – for the most part – have always had their anger heard. When white people complain sh#t gets done, it gets changed. Black people have learned you need to find subtle ways to get your point across. It’s very easy to say, ‘Why aren’t you angry about it?’ Oh, an angry black man? You want me to fall into that?”

IDK, there may be some built in bias depending on what color a person is. I really don't think it is affecting my perception though. I like how some black guys are going about this and I also dislike how some black guys are doing it. The guy who I am least impressed with, I pretty much view as being a white guy.

So, if this was a general question, yeah it might be interesting to understand. If it was aimed directly at my original comment, then no, I don't really feel color has anything to do with it.

I have never been ashamed of our fans until this.

I know - hate knowing there are some backwards, singleminded, bigots in our fair state. They have embarrassed me this week as well.

A lot more of the good guys though. GBR

(hope everybody can see what I did here ...)

When I left Nebraska now some 20 years ago (hard to believe), my sense was that the state ethos was one of pragmatic stoicism with a libertarian lean (a "you do your thing and I'll do mine" sort of attitude). I always loved that about Nebraskans.

Watching from a far, it's been sad to see the movement toward right wing zealotry take hold.

• Fire 4

There are three different minority groups that work within the slaughter house. These three different minority groups are extremely intolerant of one another which has caused quite a few problems. The gang activity and such is a little rough

I think you are making an assumption about the cause of crime in this community. Intolerance between minority groups is not the only culprit. Poverty and difficulty for recent immigrants to assimilate into our culture is another major reason for affiliation with gangs and criminal activity.

As another example, Irish and German catholic immigrants in the 1840's flooded the US Northeast and Midwest. They were fleeing famine and persecution in Europe. In many cities these groups moved to the crime rate doubled or tripled.

This fostered a great deal of backlash and discrimination (ever see the movie, "gangs of New York"?). At the time, it was pretty easy to draw a correlation between an influx of Irish-catholics, and an increase in crime. Does that mean that the Irish were inherently prone to gangs and crime? Many at the time made that simple conclusion.

According to the Pew Research Center, blacks and Hispanics have large differences on core issues.

Time may very well heal most wounds, but I'm not sure here in the U.S. with our diverse population that it will ever happen.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/06/11/multiracial-in-america/

Here's another article from the Pew Research Center. It's about the rising demographic of multi-racial Americans. Here are some quotes:

Pew Research estimates that 6.9% of the U.S. adult population could be considered multiracial.

The survey finds that many multiracial adults, like other racial minorities, have experienced some type of racial discrimination, from racist slurs to physical threats, because of their racial background.

Demographically, multiracial Americans are younger—and strikingly so—than the country as a whole.

the Census Bureau projects that the multiracial population will triple by 2060.

Where you see continued strife among races in America, I see the melting pot blurring racial lines over time.

I agree with the melting pot blurring racial lines over time. However, the same can't be said with intolerance. With our large and diverse population, it seems like we always find something new or different for intolerance. Right now, I would imagine that being of the Muslim faith would be difficult. The LBGTA community is also seeing a significant amount of intolerance.

Due to our large and diverse population, yes I continue to see strife here in America. The more things change, the more things stay the same. Heck, we're even beginning to see intolerance between gun owners and non-gun owners.

Payback is a b!tch. Some members of the East Carolina marching band pulled this same stunt and as a result:

• They were loudly booed through their halftime performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GDSlwMscOg
  • The Fayetteville radio and TV station refused to carry the following week's game between East Carolina and South Florida.
  • The University made a public announcement that future demonstrations by the band and failure to perform as practiced would no longer be tolerated.

Sometimes in life, it isn't always about what YOU feel...most times, actually.

In other news, no controversial police shootings since Rose-Ivey kneeled in Chicago, and only 16 blacks murdered there in the same time frame, both a precipitous drop off, so there IS that...

that's how you feel, but sometimes how you feel is wrong

Some people have a hard time figuring out the difference between "What I think" and "How I feel". Mostly, Conservatives think and Liberals feel. Don't believe it? Go see how many times those two words are used in political forums and by who.

I think this little bit of theatrics has done more harm than good. First off, there are WAY TOO MANY police shootings of all types, but making it into a "black only" thing sets people at odds with each other that should be on the same side, and also minimizes the problem. The six year old white kid shot by two black police officers doesn't count in the Black Lives Matter narrative...because they go ballistic if anyone says "All lives matter". So people are faced with choosing "Black Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter"...I know which one I choose.

I think that hijacking the national anthem at a ball game drags a lot of people into this controversy that don't want to be there. I would love to hear what the band members at East Carolina who just want to be band members think of being a prop in someone else's "kneel to justice" drama and whether they wanted to be a part of it...but they didn't get a choice, did they?

As my uncle said, "There is a State Capitol not too far away from Memorial Stadium, do your protesting, politicking, and excercising of rights there." Of course, many hear "feel" that Michael Rose Ivey's five minutes on his knees equates to, or even trumps, the four years my uncle spent in Europe on the border between East and West Germany waiting for a war that never came, so "feel" free to discount the disparity and say whatever "feels" right.

This has all been said, so the only new stuff I brought was the East Carolina thing. I would love to say I care about how everybody feels about this, but I really don't.

In other news, here is a headline from this morning's Chicago Tribune from when I last posted less than 12 hours ago: 40 shot, 5 of them fatally, in Chicago over weekend Yeah, I will leave it big in the hopes of attracting Rose-Ivey to a bigger problem for his star power to address.

• Fire 1

I feel sorry for those who get pleasure from seeing derided their fellow Americans who stand for justice and equality

Only they aren't standing...that's the problem.

I can think of a lot of different ways one could have made the same point without raising a sh!t storm...but then again, we are back to the "thinking" vs. "feeling" dynamics again.

I'm sure the politicians in opposition of the civil rights act of 1965 felt the exact same way.

They actually did more thinking than feeling. Kneeling in front of the Montgomery buses would have been counterproductive. Boycotting the Montgomery city buses worked, but it took a lot of planning and coordination and effort to get everybody to work without using the buses. A lot of thought was involved making the boycott work. Kneeling and rioting doesn't involve so much effort, which is why we are seeing more of that and nothing concrete.

I will know Kapernick and Rose-Ivey are serious when they start boycotting games, instead of playing for face time on the cameras. Then again, that would involve some risk and loss on their part, I don't know if either want to really go there.

• Fire 1

I'm sure the politicians in opposition of the civil rights act of 1965 felt the exact same way.

They actually did more thinking than feeling. Kneeling in front of the Montgomery buses would have been counterproductive. Boycotting the Montgomery city buses worked, but it took a lot of planning and coordination and effort to get everybody to work without using the buses. A lot of thought was involved making the boycott work. Kneeling and rioting doesn't involve so much effort, which is why we are seeing more of that and nothing concrete.

I will know Kapernick and Rose-Ivey are serious when they start boycotting games, instead of playing for face time on the cameras. Then again, that would involve some risk and loss on their part, I don't know if either want to really go there.

just because you think (don't know how to make cool colors like you) feeling doesn't matter, doesn't mean you're right. The most important things ever created started from feelings, more so actually, thoughts with emotion. People aren't computers. We all feel and have feeling behind what we think and I'm sorry but how YOU feel is what matters to literally everyone. It's all about what the individual feels. I feel bad for you if you arent using emotion to solve problems because I'm here to tell you every successful person ever got that way by feeling instead of thinking. Thoughts are meaningless unless there is emotion attached and that is a fact.

Im sure Kap thought this out and also had alot of feelings behind it. Boycotting the bus system is different than boycotting the games these players play because the games aren't the issue. In Montgomery alabama the bus system, namely the arrest or Claudette Colvin for not giving up her seat, was an issue. See the difference? Kap doesn't have a grudge with the NFL he has a grudge with America and how they treat people of his race, so protesting the flag seems way more relevant to his cause than boycotting the NFL games

I'm not sure either of them boycotting games really does much. I get what you're saying, but their issue is with police brutality against blacks. It has absolutely nothing to do with the game of football. This entire thing is getting out of control. All hell breaks loose when a black cop shoots a black civilian just the same as when a white cop shoots a black civilian.

I've read several articles written by black police officers. They claim there is no prejudice. Until all sides agree there is a problem, it's highly unlikely anything is accomplished. While I highly doubt kneeling for the anthem does anything to correct the problem, I also doubt boycotting games does either. If either of them are serious about the problem, they need to become cops and help departments weed out the problems.